Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2019, 06:18 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Many years ago, my previous camera had benefited me with a RAW+ option because the RAW files didn’t have a thumbnail. (!!) That was the last and only reason I used the jpgs... I really don’t see one now. And as it was mentioned above, RAW PP is a safe choice for serious work. As for the memory, it’s not that often that someone fills up a 32gb SD. IMHO buffer time and back up are more of an issue.

12-30-2019, 07:12 AM   #17
Pentaxian

All my cameras have single card slots. I almost always use RAW only. For me, RAW+JPEG just fills up the card faster. I like the option of being able to tweak the exposure afterwards in Darktable. The downside is that my hard drive fills up faster. That reminds me, I really should delete some images that didn't make the grade.
12-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used both cards in the way described and I've used raw+ where it works to one card before the other. The value of both modes seems similar but using two cards does dessert to be in the area of file corruption.
12-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since I had that option, first on my K-3, then K-1, and now 645z, I've always stored the RAW images on slot 1 and jpegs on slot 2. I seldom use the jpegs though. I tend to put video on slot 2 as well. As has been said above, it's personal preference.

12-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How many of us have had cards become corrupted? I've been lucky so far. I've stuck with SanDisk.
12-30-2019, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
How many of us have had cards become corrupted? I've been lucky so far. I've stuck with SanDisk.
I've never had a card go bad in a camera. A micro SD died in a Kindle fire.
12-30-2019, 08:20 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never had a card die in a camera, I had one die in a Kindle fire. However protection is like insurance...

12-30-2019, 08:28 AM   #23

Have not experienced a failure, but I have seen one fail from somebody else (SanDisk)

I personally use 2 SD card slots and save RAW to both, so the same photo on two cards.
Reason for this is mainly theft related. If I'm travelling I want to have the ability to take out one card and leave the camera in the hotel/car if I have to and carry one card on me.
With the price of SD cards I really don't see a reason not to use the second one as a backup, even if failure is a minor risk, why risk it?

Now what I'm wondering about is if the camera actually writes slower when writing to two cards, instead of just one?
12-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the replies. I can see scenarios where I would write to both cards to make sure if I had a failure, I'd be covered. I often let the files accumulate on my SD cards to make sure I distribute the writes across the media versus constantly moving the files off and potentially using the same section(s) of the memory chip over and over while leaving other areas untouched. I've never been able to ascertain if there's enough intelligence in the SD cards/controllers to do this automatically like on solid state drives.
12-30-2019, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

It all comes down to what makes sense to you, based on your workflow. If you don't ever use your JPG files, then make the switch you described.
12-30-2019, 12:20 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Was on vacation overseas once and wanted to leave my daughter a few of our photos. Went to print and realized I only stored in RAW on the card. Needed to wait until I was near a computer to turn the few into JPEG to print. Otherwise I really only care about RAW.
12-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just RAW to single card for me too. But when traveling I occasionally swap to the other card so that I don't have all my images on one card (just in case) - its a pity Pentax doesn't make it easier to swap which card is being recorded too but I can live with it.

When doing a more important shoot (rare for me), then I change to RAW + RAW.
12-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I typically only safe RAW files, because I edit nearly every picture in post (and if it is just adjusting WB).
On special occasions when I need an image immediately I use RAW+ but this doesn't happen very often
12-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My preference is to use both for RAW.
12-30-2019, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Only one out of maybe 10. Corrupted one was from Panasonic