Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2019, 08:06 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Only one out of maybe 10. Corrupted one was from Panasonic
I've had thumb drives corrupted, but not memory cards (so far).

12-30-2019, 11:52 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I just use RAW because for good or for bad I always end up retouching all my pictures.
Me too!
12-31-2019, 01:17 AM   #33
Veteran Member

SD cards are very unsecure in terms of data integrity.
Therefore I write RAW to both cards in mirror mode which already saved me from data loss twice.
Cards these days are cheap enough to just get bigger ones, if you need more space.

Last edited by WorksAsIntended; 12-31-2019 at 09:24 AM.
12-31-2019, 03:51 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by feidlera Quote
My Pentax K-3 ii has 2 SD slots. When I got the camera it seemed logical to save to one SD card as RAW and to the other as JPG. Now I'm not so sure. I typically use the RAW version and make edits so now I'm wondering if I shouldn't save to both cards as RAW and have more photo capacity. Is there a good reason to save to one card as RAW and the other as JPG?
I use the Raw in one slot and JPG in the other method so as to have small files for emailing, etc., while doing all editing with the Raw files.

12-31-2019, 07:01 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both of my cameras have only one slot, so I record both JPEG and ‘raw’ there even though I hardly ever even look at the ‘raw’ file - only when I was way off in exposure.
12-31-2019, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I do RAW+ and put them on the same card. When it comes to processing, I use a lot of shots as the jpegs out of the camera, but if I want to hit the RAW file, I want it right there with the jpeg for organization.
Ditto on this technique for the same reasons. It is easy to pull both in at the same time, and organization of the images is simplified. If its just snap shots that I don;t want to process, the JPGs are there. Serious stuff, the JPGs are there for reference. I even file the original JPG and DNG together for future use.

However, to each his own!
12-31-2019, 11:13 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Was on vacation overseas once and wanted to leave my daughter a few of our photos. Went to print and realized I only stored in RAW on the card. Needed to wait until I was near a computer to turn the few into JPEG to print. Otherwise I really only care about RAW.
Most cameras made in the last ten years have a Raw develop feature...I know the K50 has it for example. I actually used it once, on vacation, when I was trying to identify a bird that I found that was underexposed but I only had a Raw file. It works decently well if you just need a few photos printed.

12-31-2019, 11:34 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Was on vacation overseas once and wanted to leave my daughter a few of our photos. Went to print and realized I only stored in RAW on the card. Needed to wait until I was near a computer to turn the few into JPEG to print. Otherwise I really only care about RAW.
On most cameras you can "develop" the raw files into JPEG from the playback screen/menu. It can be a bit of a hassle but it works.
12-31-2019, 02:40 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I'm the odd one out, my K3ii is set for JPEGS on both cards, and the K5 with only one slot is set for JPEGS also, the camera is set for the minimum resolution, (2 Mp) as it is used mostly for posting pictures on forums which prefer lower file sizes. Even at 2 Mp, the pictures are very good on my 27" monitor.
12-31-2019, 03:16 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
On most cameras you can "develop" the raw files into JPEG from the playback screen/menu. It can be a bit of a hassle but it works.
And for motion correction pixel shift on my K-1 II, it's almost mandatory. (I believe RawTherapee has options, but need to double check on the motion correction side)
12-31-2019, 06:35 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
I'm the odd one out, my K3ii is set for JPEGS on both cards, and the K5 with only one slot is set for JPEGS also, the camera is set for the minimum resolution, (2 Mp) as it is used mostly for posting pictures on forums which prefer lower file sizes. Even at 2 Mp, the pictures are very good on my 27" monitor.
2 Mega pixels are plenty for that. I often set my camera for raw+ with small jpgs for that reason.
12-31-2019, 07:01 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot RAW+ with RAW on card 1 and JPG on card 2. I try to use reliable, fast cards such as SANDISK and usually at least 64gb. I download the files after each session but keep the files on the card. Periodically I dump the DCIM to the computer for backup on an external HD.
12-31-2019, 10:00 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I usually don't even look at my photos until a few days later, so even if I did have multiple card slots it'd just be for redundancy with pure raw.
01-12-2020, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #44

Photos: Gallery
On the Cameras with 2 slots Raw on slot one and JPG and Video on slot 2, this gives me an image or video I can upload to a video display or social media without corrupting the raw files, for the single slot cameras I shoot raw only. The only exception is if I am at an event where I will be using multiple cards (and batteries) in which case I shoot raw to card 1 then card 2 - for these events I will never look at the photos until I get to a computer. When I am working as a second shooter for someone else I save raw to both cards at the same time just in case a card fails, it is one thing if I loose my images, but not if someone else is paying me for their event. I find it helps with write speed (buffer problems) if both cards are identical.

It depends on your workflow, what you are shooting and where! If you are going to be away from a computer for days on end and shooting almost a full card a day (I miss those days), you probably want to optimize space, so if you are editing I would recommend raw only. If you are only posting to Social Media or don't require heavy editing JPG might work for you, as someone who exclusively used film for longer than Pentax has had Digital it took a long time for me to add editing to my workflow - if I didn't catch it first time on film it was no good, that was also my workflow when I got my first digital.

If you are not sure - use Raw, you will have the advantage of non-destructive editing and easy changes to colour and light in editing.

The next question is are you saving DNG or PEF format for your Raw files?