Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2019, 05:59 PM   #1

SD card slots - do you use RAW and JPG or only RAW?

My Pentax K-3 ii has 2 SD slots. When I got the camera it seemed logical to save to one SD card as RAW and to the other as JPG. Now I'm not so sure. I typically use the RAW version and make edits so now I'm wondering if I shouldn't save to both cards as RAW and have more photo capacity. Is there a good reason to save to one card as RAW and the other as JPG?

12-29-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is pretty much your preference:

QuoteQuote:
Two Card Slots
The K-3 II has two SD card slots. This is particularly handy given that wireless tethering requires a Flu-card to be inserted. One can thus have the Flu card in one slot and a high-capacity/high-speed card in the other.

With two memory cards inserted, the options for image storage are:

When card #1 runs full, writing continues on card #2
Write to both cards in parallel (thus creating a backup)
In RAW+ mode: Write RAW to one card and JPGs to the other card
In movie mode, you can select which of the two cards is used for file storage. You cannot do so in sequential mode for stills, however: a strange omission carried over from the K-3. To force the camera to switch to a specific slot, you must remove the card in the other slot and power cycle the camera.

Read more at: Pentax K-3 II Review - Highlights | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-29-2019 at 06:45 PM.
12-29-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

go with yer preference....as having more space for raw would seem to suit you better that would seem to be the way to go!!

I do raw & jpeg and mostly use the jpeg but on occasion it is nice to have the raw file for better PP work
12-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Depends on what I'm doing. Typically, I shoot RAW+JPEG, save to card 1 then rolls over to card 2 when card 1 is full. If I'm shooting something where I need as many frames per second, I show RAW only, to card 1 then card 2. No need to waste valuable computing time on converting files to JPEG or assigning a specific file type to a specific card.

12-29-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Raw+, fills one card then the next, if I had heaps of SD cards I'd probably have jpg and Raw onto separate cards.
12-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just use RAW because for good or for bad I always end up retouching all my pictures.
12-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do RAW+ and put them on the same card. When it comes to processing, I use a lot of shots as the jpegs out of the camera, but if I want to hit the RAW file, I want it right there with the jpeg for organization. I think it would be a real nuisance to have to go through a process of offloading the same images in different formats from two cards to keep the sets together, and depending on what you're doing, how you use your cards etc, you'll run out of space on the card with RAW files first, and then what? Now have the next "RAW" card in the slot while you continue to write jpegs to the other, or you pull them in sync, or...? So, I just go for sequentially writing to the cards, and once I hit the second card, I pay close attention to make sure I don't run out of space at the wrong moment and get a new card back in the first slot and so on.

12-29-2019, 07:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just raw, 2nd is for backup
12-29-2019, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are concerned about write speeds then use RAW only and write to slot 1 until its filled then to slot 2. I started writing RAW only about 3 yrs ago and have never filled the slot 1 32gb SD card.
12-29-2019, 08:07 PM   #10

I only use RAW (and SD 2 as a backup on K-3) as I retouch the picture I am planning to keep.

I use 2 x 16gb cards, with maximum image quality and size setup, which give me 298 (same) images per card. I would use bigger capacity cards if I need more space.

Being in IT industry, i am more worried about safety of my images (backup) than how many images I can save on one card, even if most of the time, the images are not « that much important » (not being critical).
12-29-2019, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only use RAW. Everything goes into Lightroom so if I need a jpg its quite easy to get it in whatever resolution you want. I've never seen any reason to use camera jpgs with my work flow.
12-29-2019, 09:05 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Me too, raw only. If It is an important work, I do raw for both card.

for my own photo, I use raw for one card at a time. I did raw+ before do a lot of multiple shooting and the waitting time seems to be a bit too long.
12-29-2019, 11:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I use raw (DNG format) only. I used raw+ a long time ago but eventually decided it was quicker to process a raw, instead of studying the JPG to determine whether I should process the raw.
12-29-2019, 11:46 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Whatever suits your needs. There is a case for saving both, either to the same card or to separate cards. There is also a case for only shooting RAW or JPEG and saving to the cards sequentially. I shoot DNG and write to slot one first followed by slot two. If I need an in-camera JPEG from the DNG, the conversion is very easily done even as a batch job.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-29-2019 at 11:57 PM.
12-29-2019, 11:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I personally have the two cards write sequentially so I leave the second card slot as an overflow and video card. I usually use a SanDisk Extreme Plus in the first slot and an Ultra Plus in the second slot. Just my personal preference. Have the faster card in the first slot and the slower card in the second.