Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2020, 02:19 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I had this one too. And when I started using it on a Samsung GX10 (the sibling of the K10D) it behaved like a manual aperture lens. It got worse to the point that I could not get it in the "A" position anymore. During the first pictures I took I had to manually set the lens for the SR. And the aperture stayed in 32 position when I had the aperture ring set to A. After putting it back on the film era camera I had the same problem there. I send it to Pentax to repair and they returned it with the comment it was not worth reparing it anymore. In the end the pictures where either over- or underexposed. As the problem became bigger and bigger I binned it.

AfterPentax, I thank you very much for your helpful feedback.

TT

01-27-2020, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Photo of the rear of Pentax-M 80~320mm Lens. Thanks for viewing.
TT

---------- Post added 01-02-20 at 03:14 AM ----------

It is done sir.

Thnx,

TT
That is the base of a AF lens...not Pentax-M. That said, is there any chance that the ring is not fully locked into the A position? The "A" contact on the camera body is recessed and on many lenses, the "A" contact does not physically project enough to make contact unless fully locked into place. BTW...is this the same 80-300 that was spreading junk into the mirror box of your K-7?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-27-2020 at 03:12 PM.
01-27-2020, 08:40 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is the base of a AF lens...not Pentax-M. That said, is there any chance that the ring is not fully locked into the A position? The "A" contact on the camera body is recessed and on many lenses, the "A" contact does not physically project enough to make contact unless fully locked into place. BTW...is this the same 80-300 that was spreading junk into the mirror box of your K-7?

Steve

Hello Steve, yes you are correct, it is an FA Lens. My mistrake. You are also correct about this Pentax-FA 80~320s lens dumping a boat load of debris into the camera. After nearly two weeks of messing with it, I decided it was clean enough to where no debris appears in my images. Should some crap appear in my images, it will be simple
enough to eradicate them. Thanks for your assistance.

Tonytee
01-27-2020, 08:56 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
You are also correct about this Pentax-FA 80~320s lens dumping a boat load of debris into the camera.
I also suspect that the innards that run the "A" contact are compromised either by crud or corrosion.

Steve

01-27-2020, 09:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

tried out a few FA lenses on the K-50 with shake reduction turned on......I am not asked for FL input regardless of aperture ring position.....some shots I did today never engaging the 'a' position the exif reported the correct FL of the lens which was a relief...I found it odd I was not asked have been using a ton of manual non 'a' or m42 and was quite used to the input at start up.....also tried out a few 'a' lenses and the k-50 required a FL input on start up regardless of aperture ring position......if you are asked for FL input on a FA it seems the contacts are prolly dirty or have internal problems

Last edited by Aaron28; 01-28-2020 at 05:32 PM.
01-27-2020, 10:31 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
tried out a few FA lenses on the K-50 with shake reduction turned on......I am not asked for FL input regardless of aperture ring position.....some shots I did today never engaging the 'a' position the exif reported the correct FL of the lens which was a relief...I found it odd I was not asked have been using a ton of manual non 'a' or m42 and was quite used to the input at start up.....also tried out a few 'a' lenses and the k-50 required a FL input on start up regardless of aperture ring position......if the you are asked for FL input on a FA it seems the contacts are prolly dirty or have internal problems

Well, that IS interesting. Turns out my K-3 is the same way and is able to read the data contact regardless of aperture ring setting. Conventional wisdom has been that the "A" contact gates detection of the data contact. Clearly this is not the case on the either of our cameras, though I do believe that was the behavior on my K10D.* I guess one learns something new every day.

Steve

* There was a shift in mount vs. lens-type behavior about the time of the K-30. Perhaps this was one of the changes.
01-28-2020, 01:37 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I also suspect that the innards that run the "A" contact are compromised either by crud or corrosion.

Steve

Well that issue never operated properly. It is my understanding that the black version (as opposed to the white version) consistently experienced problems with the electronic

contacts working properly with the camera. Thanks very much for your input.

Tony