Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-20-2020, 12:04 PM   #31

Original Poster
Addendum to this tale...

I was able to return the lens so I bit the bullet and bought a new one instead. Had a very quick test today with a deliberately 'busy' target (not a particularly scenic one) and it looks fine to me. These were handheld at F5.6 (for comparison purposes) and focused on the large poplar tree.

Wide angle:

Dropbox - 14-K70_1685_16mm_F5.6.JPG

Zoomed:

Dropbox - 15-K70_1685_68mm_F5.6.JPG

A bit of vignetting in the zoomed version and a bit of CA in the wide angle but nothing that hits you in the face. I expect this is entirely within spec.

Way better than my kit 18-55mm.

What was wrong with the first one I'm not sure. I don't think it was classic 'decentering'.

Last edited by Spotty Focus; 01-20-2020 at 12:41 PM.
01-20-2020, 12:55 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is definitely much much better. Glad you were able to return the bad one.

It's a shame that buying a lens these days is such a gamble... it's fairly obvious that the lens was defective, not sure how that passed QC.
Perhaps it was damaged during transport or something, who knows.