Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-04-2020, 02:38 AM   #1

Ist dl2 firmware

Hi folks

I tried updating my firmware last night and now my camera won't work at all.
I followed the instructions to the letter and now my camera is ruined (I can't fix or figure it out)
I double double checked I got the ist dl2 update direct from the pentax site and checked and re checked I'd done everything correct.
Please please please so one hekp me.

01-04-2020, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear that. The DL2 is a great camera and hopefully you can get it working again. We'll need some more info though.

Does the camera show any signs of life at all, like anything flashing on the top LCD?
What sort of batteries were you using, hopefully rechargeables or lithium and not alkaline?

If you're sure you've got fresh batteries in there, try turning the power on while holding down the AE-L and Info buttons at the same time. Then press Menu, Menu, Info within 5 seconds to see if the camera will go into debug mode. If it does go into debug, you can safely turn it off again and get back to us for some next steps.
01-04-2020, 03:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
The top lcd is turned on showing just the battery which are fresh lithium and a square in the bottom left.
If u press the shoot button it comes up with
TV then a number that gose up and down if u move the camera then av then 5.6 and a lightening bolt underneath
If u turn it on without a card in it says that there's no card on the big lcd screen.

I've tried putting it in debug mode as you've suggested and that dosnt seem to work
01-04-2020, 04:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Thanks. So it sounds like when you press the shutter release it's showing pretty much what it should do on the top lcd.

What lens are you using?
What have you got the mode dial set to? Try setting it to "AUTOPICT" and taking a photo. If you haven't got instant review on, hit the playback button to see if it actually took a shot.

01-04-2020, 04:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi mate, I'm usi g the pentax 18-55 lens.

Just tried that and nothing happening. Even the flash won't lift up or anything
Litteraly got the battery meter the square box to the left and 3 lines where the number of shots u have. Should be

---------- Post added 01-04-20 at 04:22 AM ----------

Could it be the firmware? I don't have or can't find the original v1. 0 to try set it back to factory, it's saying it has 1.02 on after the update which seemed to go on fine.
I can't understand it.

---------- Post added 01-04-20 at 04:22 AM ----------

Could it be the firmware? I don't have or can't find the original v1. 0 to try set it back to factory, it's saying it has v1.02 on after the update which seemed to go on fine.
I can't understand it.
01-04-2020, 04:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Could be that the firmware file got corrupted somehow.I'd download a fresh copy of v1.02 off the Pentax website and try reinstalling it.
01-04-2020, 04:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
Will do. Thank you so much for your help

01-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #8

Are you able to get into the setup menus? If so, try a settings reset.
01-04-2020, 02:48 PM   #9

Original Poster
It won't let me do anything apart from switch through the toggle menu on the top
01-04-2020, 05:21 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is very unlikely that a firmware update would somehow fail without fully bricking the camera. It's possible that something else may have broken at the same time.

I would try testing the camera without a lens and card, to see if the basic controls might come back to life. I'd still try re-doing the firmware update, but this is my first time hearing of something like this.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2020, 06:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Danp1983 Quote
It won't let me do anything apart from switch through the toggle menu on the top
This is what i did for my old vivitar video cam that doesn't turn on: Put a fresh battery overnight, press power on for about 30 seconds, luckily it turns on, but keeps on playing dead again and again. This would mean that do not remove battery unless you recharge it ( or put new one ) to keep the circuit active.
01-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #12

Original Poster
Think the issue is resolved.
Had it working tonight
If it's fixed it was a simple but mind wrecking fix.

Fresh batteries, new 1gig sd card fresh download of the firmware and jobs a good en.
Touch wood..