Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2020, 08:40 AM   #1

Not sharp enough pictures, blurry

Hello everyone!
I have a problem with shooting sharp pictures with my brand-new camera(Pentax K-70) I have recently bought. Even though I've tried adjusting short shutter speed(i.e. 1/640, 1/800), different aperture and focal lenght,
it is still the same. My body position is steady while I'm taking a photo and I always try to "freeze" to avoid any shaking. I looked through videos on youtube and some articles, trying to solve my issue, but none of them really helped.
However, I'm a beginner(I just started few weeks ago), so I am aware of the lack of knowledge and experience.
I hope you guys can help me

Equipment:

Camera: Pentax K-70
Lense: Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Asp. (IF) (Model A16)

Samples:
1. ISO 200 f.2,8 1/640 50mm
2. ISO 200 f.3,2 1/800 50mm
3. ISO 200 f.3,5 1.250 42,5mm
4. ISO 200 f.2,8 1/400 50mm

Thank you!

Attached Images

Last edited by Not a Number; 01-05-2020 at 09:38 AM. Reason: link to duplicate thread removed
01-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 4th photo ( sony seen ) seems the camera takes the center exposure as the base but the nearest object as focused object resulting uneven exposure. You have to try different AF active area and link to custom settings.
01-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you using the optical viewfinder for focus confirmation?

It’s hard for me to tell because your subject is the closest thing in the images, but your lens may be focusing in front of your subject.

Try a few shots using live view to focus. That will eliminate that possibility. If all your photos suddenly get sharp, you’ll need to calibrate your focus, but you will have found the problem...

-Eric
01-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Shucks, they are great sots, otherwise.

01-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Take an image of a wall at an angle. Figure out where optimum focus is, compare to what you focused on. This should tell you how sharp you can be. If nothing is in focus, you have a deeper problem.
If best focus and optimum focus do not coincide Startseite af fine adjustment.
All check different apertures for best focus, maybe optimum results requires closing the aperture by one or two stops.
01-05-2020, 09:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Are you using the optical viewfinder for focus confirmation?

It’s hard for me to tell because your subject is the closest thing in the images, but your lens may be focusing in front of your subject.

Try a few shots using live view to focus. That will eliminate that possibility. If all your photos suddenly get sharp, you’ll need to calibrate your focus, but you will have found the problem...

-Eric
I am not.
I took these pictures in AF.S mode with focusing on single spot in the middle, trying to lock the focus on eyes.
I'm going to try with optical viewfinder and I will let you know.
Thanks for quick response!
01-05-2020, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To me all those are out of focus. You may need to calibrate your lens

01-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure your AF is operational, set to AF.S and the zoomlock on the lens is not engaged (in the slim case it might interfere with AF operation). Also, take the lens off the camera and remount it until it locks in place.
01-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks to me like you are holding the camera steady enough, and the shutter speed is not a problem.

In the first photo, it looks like the sharpest focus is on the shoulder. The face is soft because it's behind the sharp focus area. I can't see that effect as clearly in the other photos but you might be able to tell with the original size. That might mean your lens is always misinterpreting the camera's autofocus commands, and focuses in the wrong place. The fix is to calibrate the lens to the camera. But other causes could be the camera deciding to focus in the wrong place, which could be the camera or you. It looks like the depth of field (zone of sharp focus) is fairly small for the lens aperture you used. So any error in the camera-lens-focus system makes the subject out of focus.

I like to set up a test situation that makes the problem clear, so you can fix the problem, not chase the wrong symptom. I have a vase here that's head-sized with a pattern on it. The camera can focus on it easily. I will put it on a table, put the camera on a tripod so it's always exactly the same distance away. The distance should be about what you'd use for portraits in this case. You should be able to tell exactly where the focus point is in the test shots. Indoors, you can get the exposure good enough to see the details and not worry about that changing. Then you can take shots with the viewfinder, live view, different apertures, move around the focus points, whatever. (A very patient person is a better test subject but usually the test person gets bored. Wait to ask the person until the second round, when you figure something out and want to test your theory.) Look at the shots critically and you can narrow down the problem.
01-05-2020, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

All of those pictures seem to have front focus.

You should make a focus test, a simple one is to shoot a rooler at 30° and see where the focus really is.

Did you try to make pictures without autofocus?
01-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you a new shooter? (Edit: reread and I see that you are)
Are you using back-button focus? I only ask those two questions to eliminate the remote possibility that you are refocusing inadvertently in the process of pressing the shutter. Back button focus would eliminate that as a reason. Yeah they all look to be slightly front-focused.

FWIW I do have one lens that required focus calibration but surprisingly only that one.
01-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #12

I don't have anything to add about the focus problem but I must say those are nicely done portraits otherwise.
01-05-2020, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You seem to have a lens that is front focusing. Do a bit of research on the subject as there are several methods that will get you the results you need which is spot on focus. Also keep in mind that a zoom lens usually can't be corrected for both ends of the zoom range. Calibrate the lens for the focal length you most plan to use. Also remember that at f/2.8 depending on your distance to the subject the depth of focus can become very thin. I suggest stopping down at least a stop or two to get better results.
01-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I don't think the problem is shutter speed, I agree with Larrymc, try smaller apature.

---------- Post added 01-05-20 at 12:38 PM ----------

By the way, welcome to the forum.
01-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
You seem to have a lens that is front focusing. Do a bit of research on the subject as there are several methods that will get you the results you need which is spot on focus. Also keep in mind that a zoom lens usually can't be corrected for both ends of the zoom range. Calibrate the lens for the focal length you most plan to use. Also remember that at f/2.8 depending on your distance to the subject the depth of focus can become very thin. I suggest stopping down at least a stop or two to get better results.
I have already tried smaller aperture and it's still the same

Here I used f.6,3 ss:1/500
Attached Images