Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2020, 02:28 PM   #1

Batteries

Hi folks.

I'm just wondering what would be the best batteries for the ist dl2
Having issues with the camera and wanting to rule out bits at a time to get to the root of it

01-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would recommend using 4 x AA batteries. Eneloops Pro would be best in my view.
01-06-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Single-use lithium batteries might be better than Eneloops Pro because the voltage is slightly higher. It's only 0.25 volts I think but that's per battery so with 4, that's a whole volt. The DL2 wasn't as picky about higher voltage as later models, but it might help. On all the AA-powered cameras, clean the battery contacts lightly with a pencil eraser. It might help to leave batteries in the camera for a day or more. There's a device that maintains the clock time and settings. When that gets old (like 7-8 years ago for the DL2) it doesn't work that well and needs to wake back up again.

I keep Energizer Lithium batteries in my *ist DS for those reasons and it works. They are also lighter than Eneloops, and AF performance is better (still slow, just not very slow). I don't use that camera a lot so it doesn't cost me that much.
01-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have seen it said that the non-rechargeable AA batteries may perform longer than the rechargeable type, but I have also seen it said that the rechargeable type may perform longer. I have used both, for example packs of eight AA batteries from a dollar store, and I also use my AA rechargeable EBL batteries. You may want to use a small number of the rechargeable type at first and see how long they last. If they seem to do well, you could use them and keep some as backup also. Maybe you could start with 4 rechargeable batteries and a 4 slot charger. If you do use rechargeables, you would want to make sure the batteries are in the charging slot bays with the negative and positive ends set right, because if you don't it may ruin the charger and/or batteries.

Happy shooting!

01-06-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lithiums will give the best and longest performance but are also the most expensive. Eneloops are next best and more economical than lithium. My experience is with K-30 and K-50.
01-07-2020, 04:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had two of my Older Pentax cameras die from "battery depleted", ist DS, and K200D. Both cameras would only give me around 25 to 50 shots on new batteries. Rechargeable and even the famous Eneloops were a waste of time. A search online will show many cases of this problem, some cameras can use an external power pack and it bypasses the (transistor?) problem of power build up needed to fire up the camera.
I have learnt to keep away from AA powered Pentax cameras. For an older Pentax camera that can found cheap I would go for a K10 that has its own batteries or better still a K5.
01-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just went to check on my old K100D loaded with lithiums.
Has been sitting unused for about a year, showing a full charge. So, recommend energizer lithiums.