Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #1

Auto Takumar 55mm f2.2 CLA help

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I picked one of these up today on a market stall. The focus ring worked but was loose itís now completely loose and will not turn the helicoid. The aperture also does not stop down when changed unless you move the lever on the rear of the lens and then it works fine.

Iíve looked at getting into the lens had the front and rear lenses off but I am unable to get the rear screws out of the mount. Which i believe will be integral to getting the aperture and focus ring re-attached.

I donít seem to be able to find any videos or good walkthroughs online p to now

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XR  Photo 
01-10-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can give you two vague pieces of advice. One is, the aperture may be working properly. The lever is supposed to cock the aperture and somehow allow wide open focusing and stopped down shooting. I can't remember enough about how it works to describe it accurately. Try doing this when the lens is off the camera. Set an aperture on the ring. Cock the lever. Push the chrome pin at the rear of the lens. I think cocking the lever closes the aperture and pushing the pin snaps them open again, but it could be the opposite way. Second advice, the aperture design means the lens is built differently than other lenses with the Auto-Takumar name. They used the same name on newer designs that have an aperture ring close to the lens mount. There were 55mm f1.8 and 55mm f2 Auto-Takumar lenses. I know on the newer lenses, the mount doesn't come apart at all; you have to disassemble them from the front.
01-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

For disassembling from the front, you need a rubber ring or plug (concave) that will press on the vanity ring (nameplate ring) and unscrew it.

No endorsement here. I have not used these particular items (I used a solid round rubber thing that was I already had for some reason. I carved out the center so it wouldn't rub or scratch the lens).

amazon.com : Japan Hobby Tool Vacuum Pad Camera Parts Opener for Camera Lens Repair Made in Japan : Slr Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

amazon.com: DSLRKIT Rubber Lens Repair Tool Set Ring Filter Removal Spanner Wrench Set (37-40 mm, 43-46 mm, 49-52 mm, 55-58 mm, 62-67 mm, 72-77 mm, 82-86 mm): Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

It might help to clean the filter threads first as this is what the name plate screws out through. If a filter fits and goes on and off easily, you're in luck. Damaged threads are a problem.

Sometimes, applying heat helps to get the ring loose, but do these things gently. Try to just heat the front area to not evaporate helicoid lubricants onto the lens surfaces (more cleaning if that happens). A hair dryer works pretty well.

Here's the Lens Disassembly database. You can look through how various lenses are disassembled.

Pentax Lens Disassembly Database - PentaxForums.com

Here's one close to the age of yours. I don't see any in the list that are that old.

Super Takumar 55/2 disassembly - PentaxForums.com

If you do manage to disassemble your lens, maybe you can add it to the database with photos and your methods.
Best wishes!!!

---------- Post added 01-10-20 at 11:34 PM ----------

Oh, one last bit on old screws. Some lenses have flat slot screws and some have JIS cross screws that look like "Philips", but aren't. Before attempting cross screws on a lens, you need to get a set of JIS screwdrivers.

JIS screwdriver set, often mentioned brand. I have a similar set:

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Screwdriver-TD-56S-Vessel-Japan/dp/B07BYV6P...s%2C225&sr=8-7

Sometimes, old screws can be loosened of rust and scale by very lightly tapping the end of the screwdriver with a small hammer. GENTLY!. This will crack the bond between rust and the screw. Going to hard may cause damage, so take this advice at your own risk.

Also, again, heat will often work. Try to keep it as directed as possible.

If screws are glued, you may have to precisely use solvent (acetone, lighter fluid, etc). BUT, don't do that without trying everything else.

BEFORE taking apart accessible screws, be sure to search for videos, tutorials, etc, on your particular lens. Manual Focus Lenses Carl Zeiss Jena Konica Hexanon is a resource that may have some posts on your lens. You may have to go a route that is not obvious, rather than removing exposed screws first.

(an example is some old Vivitars, where you remove grub screws on the focus grip, slide the grip up and access additional screws) You don't go through the front or back for those, but Pentax is often "front first" for disassembly.

Read up on your lens here: I believe the Auto Takumar has a "trigger" like system. You have to "cock" the aperture each time with the lever at the rear. It may be working exactly as intended:
Auto-Takumar 55mm F2.2 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Yet another update:

Disassembly discussed here. Yes, you go through the front first:

https://simonhawketts.co.uk/2016/02/22/strip-down-clean-lubricate-auto-takumar-55mm-f2-2-lens/

Last update, I promise, found it: Yes, you do "cock the lens" before each exposure:

"This early version of an M42 screwmount lens that has a semi-automatic diaphragm. It closes automatically to the set aperture when the shutter button is pressed, but must then be opened manually."

This makes focusing easier, but metering takes an extra step these days: meter at desired aperture, cock lens, focus, press shutter release. Repeat as desired.

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 01-10-2020 at 10:51 PM.
01-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lenses with preset apertures or cocking levers are built differently, so the OP can't use a lot of that advice. The aperture adjustment is way up front, so there has to be a connection between that ring and the blades. Newer lenses don't need room for that; all the aperture stuff is near the mount. The front barrel may be threaded on and unscrew. Probably all the screws are slotted as well.