Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

De-centered element? Nope - but what should I expect from the DFA 150-450

I've been struggling with soft and/or OOF shots with my new (replacement) DFA 150-450.

I decided to test for front/back focus and the results have me wondering if there isn't a bigger issue.

I'm pretty ignorant on stuff like this so inout is appreciated.

Not all shots are bad, but maybe 40-50%.

Setup:
Tripod
Imagesync shutter release
1/640 shutter
f5.6
450mm (results are same at various FL)

Straightedge/ruler aligned with bottom of frame (observe hash marks at bottom are equidistant from bottom edge)

Straightedge aligned with camera

55-300 PLM for comparison

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by simple1; 01-11-2020 at 03:18 PM.
01-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Those look good to me. If you want to check for a decentered element you should take pictures perpendicularly, not at an angle. You should also have rulers (or something similar) at the edges/corners.
01-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look for a distant stationary object, and take a picture with it in all four corners - top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right. Have it all on a tripod. Then compare and see if they are close on sharpness.
01-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are a few things you can do to test for decentering
How to check if your lens is decentered
A Simple Test for Decentering

01-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your focus looks fine to me. As far as decentering or element tilt, the shots you posted would not show much of that even if it's there.

I too would recommend rogerstg's recommendations.
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
There are a few things you can do to test for decentering
How to check if your lens is decentered
A Simple Test for Decentering
I have tested my lenses using the 2nd link's method from Roger Cicala at Lensrental.com, and found none of them are absolutely 100% perfect, but they are all very acceptable, and I'm sure they are within the manufacture's tolerances.
01-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies.

I'm going to go with user error on my issues, just getting used to the lens and longer FL.

These are both ~150% crops and seem fine.

01-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So...playing around a bit more it seems that at longer distances and FL I have to stop down to f7.1 for really good results. after that the number of shots where I figured I'd missed focus went to almost zero. And overall IQ is much better.

With the 55-300 PLM I can shoot wide open at any FL and distance with no noticeable difference in IQ. I figured this lens, being a good bit more expensive, would be at least as good.

Maybe an unreasonable expectation?

Here are a few 200% crops at f7.1

These are also 200% crop. First image is f5.6, second is f7.1. f5.6 is noticeably softer. Shutter speed for both is 1/800s. Not that I'd crop at 200%, it just better highlights the difference in IQ.

01-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting a long lens can be very unforgiving when it comes to user error. And sometimes the AF just grabs the wrong thing to focus on. With my D-FA 150-450 mounted on my K-1, I use TaV mode, shutter speed minimum is 1/2000, aperture is F8 (I found that that's the sweet spot for my particular lens) and ISO in on AUTO (set from 100 - 6400), and I use either Select Single or Select 9 for the AF points (Select Single seems to give me a better rate of keepers in general). I often hand hold the lens and find that combination is pretty good (its even better on a tripod). Attached is a straight RAW image (one cropped and one not cropped, otherwise no edits), 100% crop, 1/3200 F8 ISO 800 Select Single AF at 450mm.

Personally I find shutter speed to be the biggest factor to out of focus images with my D-FA 150-450. Once I figured that out, it made a bid difference in my shooting workflow.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by david94903; 01-11-2020 at 04:50 PM. Reason: adding additional image
01-11-2020, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Dave - great input.

Playing around a fair amount this afternoon I found it was a consistent issue at f5.6 and f6.3, but practically never happens at f7.1. Using TAv mode, AF.C and spot focus with 1/800 for all. When trying to work it out I was careful to use a sturdy rest, not a tripod but steady. Being very conscious of point of aim with focus confirmation.
So it seems f7.1 or above is the key.

Appreciate the response.
01-12-2020, 10:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simple1 Quote
Playing around a fair amount this afternoon I found it was a consistent issue at f5.6 and f6.3, but practically never happens at f7.1
This seems like a good illustration of the importance of using a lens' aperture sweet spot. Back before the internet, I recall seasoned pros telling of a rule of thumb, that ƒ8 was usually the sweet spot for most lenses. The good news is that you need to pixel peep extreme (at 200% crop) to really see it.
01-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Would be interesting to see some comparative shots made between the DFA 150-450mm on the K-1 and the 55-300mm PLM on a 24mp crop body, adjusted to a FL for a comparable image size, and both at a mid aperture, then both wide open.
01-12-2020, 05:16 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This seems like a good illustration of the importance of using a lens' aperture sweet spot. Back before the internet, I recall seasoned pros telling of a rule of thumb, that ƒ8 was usually the sweet spot for most lenses. The good news is that you need to pixel peep extreme (at 200% crop) to really see it.
I get what you're saying but he difference was noticeable at normal viewing, which started me down this path. Though I will confess to being a serial pixel peeper
I guess I'd gotten spoiled with the 50-135 and 55-300 PLM. Old and/or cheap lenses I anticipate having to stop down for acceptable results, that's part of the trade-off in cost. But a modern expensive lens I (perhaps wrongly) expected to perform better.
01-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But a modern expensive lens I (perhaps wrongly) expected to perform better.
You might be right of course. But before making a decision, you may want to test using a proper tripod, mirror up, 2 sec timer, etc to eliminate any issues with vibration. One of your "soft" photos seems to also reflect vibration.
01-12-2020, 06:12 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You might be right of course. But before making a decision, you may want to test using a proper tripod, mirror up, 2 sec timer, etc to eliminate any issues with vibration. One of your "soft" photos seems to also reflect vibration.
Good points.
What I finally did is set up on a tripod and used aperture bracketing to take from f5.6-f11 (multiple times since bracketing on KP only does full stops as far as I can tell). 1/800s shutter and used Imagesync for release, but not mirror up ( though I think Imagesync does live view which is the same?). After several iterations of this it was very consistent that f5.6-6.3 aren't good at all. F7.1 looks better, and f8 is very good.

Appreciate the feedback!
01-12-2020, 06:38 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it was very consistent that f5.6-6.3 aren't good at all
Based on all you've done, I tend to agree. Hope you can exchange it.