Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2020, 02:09 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kiron, Kino, Vivitar, Soligor, Panagor, Elicar Manual Lens Resource

Hello all,

In researching a question I had about one of my lenses, I came across a wonderful resource online from a fellow in the UK calling himself "Boggy."

He has gathered together scans of Instruction Manuals, Parts lists (exploded lens diagrams -- VERY helpful for anyone disassembling a lens), and Owner's Manuals going way back in time. In many cases, the lens diagrams available here are not posted in our own Third Party Lens Reviews. (I wish I knew how to propose photo or diagram updates in the Reviews -- I've looked pretty well, I think, and don't see how to update or send in updates for the Lens descriptions, only how to add additional reviews -- if someone knows, please tell me and I'll help out there).

The lenses covered include:
Preset Vivitar
T-mount Vivitar
T4 and TX Vivitar
Series 1 Vivitar

A list of Kiron (made by Kino) lenses. One non-Kino Kiron.

Panagor / Elicar lenses, bellows, etc.

Soligor T4 lenses
Soligor C/D lenses

Miscellaneous advertising for various lenses from the 1970s and 1980s.

Under Misc is a Modern Photography guide to testing your own lenses with a test chart.

The website is found at: Home

Click on the left side link saying "Kiron manuals etc" to get into the directory of lens brands, then go from there.

It's really an amazing collection of useful information from a few decades back. For those who like to play with, use, or repair older lenses of these brands, the PDFs are really good. On top of it all, most PDF scans are in Lo resolution to quickly review or High resolution to get really clear information on the items of most interest.

I hope this is as helpful to some others as it has been to me.

01-12-2020, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as an owner of a Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA, I thank you for this info

I have sent a pm to Adam asking if if a link to the information can be placed in the review section of that lens

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-12-2020 at 04:06 AM.
01-12-2020, 05:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kiron Kid used to be a member over here. I haven't seen him in a while. There was also a Kiron grupo in yahoo I believe. It looks like a lot of the information was compiled in this website. thanks!
01-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #4

Boggy is the co-owner/admin of the Kiron Klub Yahoo Group which has been migrated to groups.io. Yahoo groups is no longer hosting content and is now just a listserv.

01-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the additional information about the origin of the information and Boggy!
Long ago, I was a Yahoo Groups user, but Groups.io doesn't seem as user friendly. I've tried participating in a couple groups there and it becomes frustrating. There's another called Tapachat (?) that was also less friendly.

Good to hear some knew of these groups or info. I did a search here and didn't see Boggy or his page mentioned, so I thought it worth a post. Perhaps if we all went searching for some of the non-Pentax lens names, we'd find similar pages of lens diagrams and other good info. Most SLR vintage lenses are full-frame "ready" and many offer an artistic view, rather than technically perfect image making. I have an old Meyer Optik Domiplan (my very first SLR lens in the early 1970s) and it can produce some nice images still.