Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Help with my new KP

I just received a KP in the mail. It seems no matter what I try (AF / MF, P Mode / Av Mode, different lenses...), the shutter will not fire.
Also, how do you turn the Status Screen display off? When the camera is on, the display is on. I hate that. I remember having to hunt for it when I got my K-1, but I can’t remember how to disable it. (Edit - I figured out how to keep the screen off, it’s in the memory section of the menu.)

01-13-2020, 09:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
I just received a KP in the mail. It seems no matter what I try (AF / MF, P Mode / Av Mode, different lenses...), the shutter will not fire.
Also, how do you turn the Status Screen display off? When the camera is on, the display is on. I hate that. I remember having to hunt for it when I got my K-1, but I can’t remember how to disable it. (Edit - I figured out how to keep the screen off, it’s in the memory section of the menu.)
New or gently used KP?
01-13-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

not firing with focus confirmation? sorry had to ask.....
01-13-2020, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Another question is what lens are you using? For non A lenses (K and m42), you have to dig in the custom menu and change a setting.

01-13-2020, 09:56 PM   #5
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
DA 40, DA 70 and DA 18-135. When I put it in Live View the screen would go back and the camera would lock up. The only way to get the camera to turn off is to take out the battery. At no time would the camera indicate focus.
Now..., it suddenly started working. Weird.
Thanks for the replies.
01-13-2020, 10:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

good deal albeit weird
01-14-2020, 12:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm.... Check/clean the contacts on the front? (the lens mount contacts)
Do a factory reset to put all settings back to default?
Try a different memory card?

01-14-2020, 05:11 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
not firing with focus confirmation? sorry had to ask.....
You and I were on the same page. Back button and focus confirmation can both confuse users unfamiliar with a camera. A new one wouldn't come set for either one, thus the question about new or used. Guessing it must be used based on the OP's comments.
01-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #9
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here we go again, I think I got a lemon. The camera won't take a picture, period. It's new, purchased on Amazon. I've tried several different lenses and tried a different memory card (formatted in the camera).
It will not auto focus, nor will it confirm focus when in MF.
In live view and video the mirror will go up, but the shutter does not always open. Even when the shutter opens the display screen stays black. It stays locked like that even after I turn the camera off. The only way to get the mirror to drop is to remove the battery, put the camera in photo mode, put the battery back in and turn it on.
Still, no picture;.
FYI, I also updated the firmware to 1.11.
01-14-2020, 02:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
Here we go again, I think I got a lemon. The camera won't take a picture, period. It's new, purchased on Amazon. I've tried several different lenses and tried a different memory card (formatted in the camera).
It will not auto focus, nor will it confirm focus when in MF.
In live view and video the mirror will go up, but the shutter does not always open. Even when the shutter opens the display screen stays black. It stays locked like that even after I turn the camera off. The only way to get the mirror to drop is to remove the battery, put the camera in photo mode, put the battery back in and turn it on.
Still, no picture;.
FYI, I also updated the firmware to 1.11.
Don't mess with it, just return it. Amazon is great about that.
01-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #11
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I’m sending it back and a replacement will be here on Thursday. Thanks again everyone for your help and ideas.
01-14-2020, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have the serial number you should list it as a Red serial number in the thread for serial numbers of good and bad gear..
01-15-2020, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
If you have the serial number you should list it as a Red serial number in the thread for serial numbers of good and bad gear..
A good idea if the Forum keeps such a record, because if there is a run of bad production issuance it could be strong evidence via the reports that have come in. However, so far reports of defective new KP bodies have been rare.
01-16-2020, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #14
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The replacement came today and it works like a champ. Thanks again.
(Edit) I uploaded the serial number onto the forum as defective. Good idea SSGGeezer

Last edited by BWG; 01-16-2020 at 09:56 PM.