Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Monterey County, California
Posts: 121
Help with my new KP

I just received a KP in the mail. It seems no matter what I try (AF / MF, P Mode / Av Mode, different lenses...), the shutter will not fire.
Also, how do you turn the Status Screen display off? When the camera is on, the display is on. I hate that. I remember having to hunt for it when I got my K-1, but I canít remember how to disable it. (Edit - I figured out how to keep the screen off, itís in the memory section of the menu.)

01-13-2020, 09:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,330
QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
I just received a KP in the mail. It seems no matter what I try (AF / MF, P Mode / Av Mode, different lenses...), the shutter will not fire.
Also, how do you turn the Status Screen display off? When the camera is on, the display is on. I hate that. I remember having to hunt for it when I got my K-1, but I canít remember how to disable it. (Edit - I figured out how to keep the screen off, itís in the memory section of the menu.)
New or gently used KP?
01-13-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Aaron28's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 3,562
not firing with focus confirmation? sorry had to ask.....
01-13-2020, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Deva
Posts: 262
Another question is what lens are you using? For non A lenses (K and m42), you have to dig in the custom menu and change a setting.

01-13-2020, 09:56 PM   #5
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Monterey County, California
Posts: 121
Original Poster
DA 40, DA 70 and DA 18-135. When I put it in Live View the screen would go back and the camera would lock up. The only way to get the camera to turn off is to take out the battery. At no time would the camera indicate focus.
Now..., it suddenly started working. Weird.
Thanks for the replies.
01-13-2020, 10:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Aaron28's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 3,562
good deal albeit weird
01-14-2020, 12:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas / Yucatan
Posts: 1,113
Hmmm.... Check/clean the contacts on the front? (the lens mount contacts)
Do a factory reset to put all settings back to default?
Try a different memory card?
01-14-2020, 05:11 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,330
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
not firing with focus confirmation? sorry had to ask.....
You and I were on the same page. Back button and focus confirmation can both confuse users unfamiliar with a camera. A new one wouldn't come set for either one, thus the question about new or used. Guessing it must be used based on the OP's comments.

01-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #9
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Monterey County, California
Posts: 121
Original Poster
Here we go again, I think I got a lemon. The camera won't take a picture, period. It's new, purchased on Amazon. I've tried several different lenses and tried a different memory card (formatted in the camera).
It will not auto focus, nor will it confirm focus when in MF.
In live view and video the mirror will go up, but the shutter does not always open. Even when the shutter opens the display screen stays black. It stays locked like that even after I turn the camera off. The only way to get the mirror to drop is to remove the battery, put the camera in photo mode, put the battery back in and turn it on.
Still, no picture;.
FYI, I also updated the firmware to 1.11.
01-14-2020, 02:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,330
QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
Here we go again, I think I got a lemon. The camera won't take a picture, period. It's new, purchased on Amazon. I've tried several different lenses and tried a different memory card (formatted in the camera).
It will not auto focus, nor will it confirm focus when in MF.
In live view and video the mirror will go up, but the shutter does not always open. Even when the shutter opens the display screen stays black. It stays locked like that even after I turn the camera off. The only way to get the mirror to drop is to remove the battery, put the camera in photo mode, put the battery back in and turn it on.
Still, no picture;.
FYI, I also updated the firmware to 1.11.
Don't mess with it, just return it. Amazon is great about that.
01-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #11
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Monterey County, California
Posts: 121
Original Poster
I’m sending it back and a replacement will be here on Thursday. Thanks again everyone for your help and ideas.
01-14-2020, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,200
If you have the serial number you should list it as a Red serial number in the thread for serial numbers of good and bad gear..
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,111
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
If you have the serial number you should list it as a Red serial number in the thread for serial numbers of good and bad gear..
A good idea if the Forum keeps such a record, because if there is a run of bad production issuance it could be strong evidence via the reports that have come in. However, so far reports of defective new KP bodies have been rare.
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #14
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Monterey County, California
Posts: 121
Original Poster
The replacement came today and it works like a champ. Thanks again.
(Edit) I uploaded the serial number onto the forum as defective. Good idea SSGGeezer

Last edited by BWG; 5 Days Ago at 09:56 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, display, kp, mode, pentax help, photography, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KP vs K-70 - to KP or not to KP, that is the question OldChE Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 11-02-2019 05:29 AM
KP bug or KP Broken, Av Mode and Red Blinky Warning Text in LV BruceBanner Pentax KP 26 06-25-2019 05:06 PM
KP Overheating? To KP or not... MrStupid Pentax KP 28 07-12-2018 09:50 PM
Amazing KP deal at Jessops! KP and 18-50 for £599 Jeff Pentax Price Watch 25 07-10-2018 12:59 PM
First Three Days with Kay Pi (KP) - KP vs. K-1 - infos and settings acoufap Pentax KP 10 05-27-2018 09:09 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top