Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2020, 06:36 AM   #1

Can I use a 1G SD card to upgrade firmware on an old ist DS?

I have an old ist DS that serves me well but I wanted to use a bigger SD card. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to perform an upgrade because all the new cards give a card error. Can I use the existing standard 1G card to get the upgrade done to version 2.02?

I note that the instructions say use a card of 8G or greater.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

01-14-2020, 07:13 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anything less than 4GB should be ok. Anything 4GB or larger is SDHC.

The instructions say the card should be 8MB or larger...the .bin file is only around 1MB in size...
01-14-2020, 07:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a similar issue with the K100D. Finding a small enough card was difficult at that time! Once performed the updated formate was useful as it raised that limit on the k100d...
01-14-2020, 07:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't see why it wouldn't work. A 1GB card would be a standard SD card which should be supported by everything that reads SD unlike SDHC or SDXC cards. This assumes that the old SD card still works and hasn't worn out which can happen.

01-14-2020, 09:20 AM   #5

Worse comes to worst you can put a 1 GB or smaller partition on a > 1GB card and repartition it to full available space afterwards.

Refer to the volume and partition tools appropriate to whatever OS your computer is using.

Note: you need at least version 1.02 to access cards greater than 1 GB.

Last edited by Not a Number; 01-14-2020 at 09:40 AM.
01-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Worse comes to worst you can put a 1 GB or smaller partition on a > 1GB card and repartition it to full available space afterwards.

Refer to the volume and partition tools appropriate to whatever OS your computer is using.

Note: you need at least version 1.02 to access cards greater than 1 GB.
Are you certain this works?
6 Days Ago   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Anything less than 4GB should be ok. Anything 4GB or larger is SDHC.

The instructions say the card should be 8MB or larger...the .bin file is only around 1MB in size...
Thanks for all the advice. The upgrade was successful and I can now use the modern cards. The increased speed of the cards has greatly improved performance using the motor drive for multiple exposures.