Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2020, 07:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Uploading to Ricoh Gallery

My images are not recognized as Pentax images in the Ricoh Gallery. It's been awhile since I have uploaded and I have five images that have been up for quite some time but wanted to update my offering. The file uploads almost completely and then stops and a dialogue pops up saying it is not a Pentax/Ricoh camera. I only own that brand and all the information is showing in the metadata. Any suggestions? I do use Lightroom and Elements 2018 on some images but that should not change that info right?

01-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I fought that problem for weeks and finally gave up about a week ago. Even contacted them twice. Their response was basically "Google how to edit exif". Edited it but no luck. Please share if you find a fix!

Thanks,
01-24-2020, 04:04 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
My images are not recognized as Pentax images in the Ricoh Gallery. It's been awhile since I have uploaded and I have five images that have been up for quite some time but wanted to update my offering. The file uploads almost completely and then stops and a dialogue pops up saying it is not a Pentax/Ricoh camera. I only own that brand and all the information is showing in the metadata. Any suggestions? I do use Lightroom and Elements 2018 on some images but that should not change that info right?
Typically the issue has to do with if you have Lightroom set to strip the exif off of your photos or not. If you can see the exif on your photos and it shows a Pentax camera than I have no idea what else to do.
01-24-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
I fought that problem for weeks and finally gave up about a week ago. Even contacted them twice. Their response was basically "Google how to edit exif". Edited it but no luck. Please share if you find a fix!

Thanks,
Did you send them a sample showing intact exif?

01-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also does it reject a Straight Out Of The Camera JPG?
01-24-2020, 05:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't uploaded any for a while so I tried and did not have any problem. I shoot raw and process in Lightroom Classic. When exporting from Lightroom is the dialog set to include all metadata? Also how about the import from the camera?
01-24-2020, 08:14 PM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

PPG does not accept RAW formats. Only JPEG.

We have had this discussion somewhere here before (within the last few months or so).

I suggest that the people who are not able to modify the EXIF information to please-please-please go get ExifTool and show us the information from one of the "rejected" files. There are people who are sending in images with no camera information showing and there are people entering scanned images from MX, LX and other film cameras. It can be done, please demonstrate by giving a ExifTool dump of what is going on.

01-31-2020, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Did you send them a sample showing intact exif?
No, but They just ask for one. Think it must have something to do with working in Lightroom and editing in Elements? It shows in LR but not from the file outside of LR.
01-31-2020, 10:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, but They just ask for one. Think it must have something to do with working in Lightroom and editing in Elements? It shows in LR but not from the file outside of LR.
Some of my early digital editing was done using pixlr and other tools that stripped exif so I know how annoying it can be. Good luck.
02-01-2020, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #10
PDL
Pentaxian

If you are using Elements are you exporting the images using the "for the web"? In the past the use of "for the web" in Photoshop Elements would strip EXIF information out by default.

It would still be nice if you would download ExifTool (ExifTool by Phil Harvey) and run it against one of the "rejected" images. I just had five images accepted in PPG and here is a ExifTool sample of the first few lines.

E:\Image-out\Working\Pentax-Gall
>exiftool England_Stonehenge-with-Druids.jpg
ExifTool Version Number : 11.85
File Name : England_Stonehenge-with-Druids.jpg
Directory : .
File Size : 9.9 MB
File Modification Date/Time : 2020:01:30 16:11:59-08:00
File Access Date/Time : 2020:01:30 16:11:59-08:00
File Creation Date/Time : 2020:01:30 16:11:40-08:00
File Permissions : rw-rw-rw-
File Type : JPEG
File Type Extension : jpg
MIME Type : image/jpeg
JFIF Version : 1.01
Exif Byte Order : Little-endian (Intel, II)
Make : RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera Model Name : PENTAX K-3 II
X Resolution : 300
Y Resolution : 300
Resolution Unit : inches
Software : Capture One 20.0.2 Windows

If you provide us with this type of data - maybe we can help instead of just sitting around and speculating.
02-02-2020, 03:55 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience with Elements is that you need to use "Save As" rather than simply "Save" to keep the exif intact.
02-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the comments. Ricoh has responded to my query.
02-13-2020, 11:19 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all of the comments. Ricoh has responded to my query.
And???? Lol.
02-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They asked me to send them the images. I did notice that one was stripped of info in post processing.

---------- Post added 02-16-20 at 08:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
It would still be nice if ...
Note taken, thank you.