Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2020, 04:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Lens Opening Repairing Tool

Hello fellow Pentaxians,

With my too many LBA attacks, I have some lenses that need to be disassembled.

I have all needed JIS screwdrivers but I am missing a good Lens Opening Repairing Tool like one of these:

amazon.com : Andoer Professional DSLR Camera Tool set 3 Tips10-100mm 1 Lens Repair Set+4 Srecws+2 Hexagon Wrench for Canon Nikon Sony Olympus Camera : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I would like to have one that is very well made as some of my old lenses can be stuck.

Please help.

Kind regards.

J.

01-24-2020, 05:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had good luck with these:
http://https://www.amazon.com/Japan-Vacuum-Camera-Opener-Repair/dp/B0013HFYK...C617V0TVX4TQ5M
01-24-2020, 06:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or try either of these:
Lens Repair Rubber Vacuum Pad Set. Japan Hobby Tool.
Pixel Peeper PPLS1 Pro Lens Spanner for opening camera
01-24-2020, 06:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blumoon722 Quote
hello, thanks for the answer but the link seems to be false/incomplete

01-24-2020, 06:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the links I really need something that is able to transfer some torque on old ones.
01-24-2020, 07:17 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own several types of 'lens spanners', including the type that is shaped like an 'H'.

Of the ones that I have, I find that this type is the best:

amazon.com : Japan hobby tool V Style Lens Opener for Camera Lens Repair Made in Japan : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

It can be adjusted with precision, locks firmly, and is robust.

It might be useful to mention that lens element retaining rings or collars that are very difficult to remove, even with a lens spanner, should be attacked with caution. A slip of the spanner tip could seriously scratch the glass. Sometimes, soaking the component in an appropriate solvent is necessary to loosen an adhesive or thread locker. Alternatively, gently heating the assembly could expand the metal ring and loosen it. I've used a small electric room heater (750-1000 W) with some success to free elements in optical groups that had been extracted from the lens.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-24-2020 at 11:47 AM. Reason: add precision
01-24-2020, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are any number of cheap lens spanners available just search. I got mine (like this one) a few years ago, they've become cheaper actually, it's ok does the job but it's not great. Definitely get one with curved ends, all the pics show the ends curving in but the use is of course with them curving out - just swap around. I modded mine with my dremel and a file: flattened the round bars to allow the locking nuts to get a better grip, and cut a slot in the locking nuts to allow the use of a coin to tighten. That's one of the most frustrating things, having the lens spanner slip and chew up the slot in the lens ring.
JIS and small (very small for some of those grub/set screws) straight screwdrivers of course. I have never been tempted to get those overpriced rubber bungs, there's always something you can improvise (double sided sticky tape invaluable). Solvent (acetone/MEK). Helicoid and iris cleaning and regreasing stuff (I use coleman fuel, circuit board cleaner spray [hexane],cheap light lithium grease). Strap wrench(es). One thing I don't have and really ought to is a sucker tool for lifting elements out/placing elements back in. Cleaning stuff - I use cheap optical wipes and solvent. To get serious make a dust free box, use ether...
The tool recommended by c.a.m prev post looks interesting but one thing: in many circumstances it won't work because you need to reach in.

Browse some of these threads for more ideas:

View Forum - Equipment Care and Repairs

Last edited by marcusBMG; 01-24-2020 at 07:43 AM.
01-24-2020, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
The tool recommended by c.a.m prev post looks interesting but one thing: in many circumstances it won't work because you need to reach in.
Yes, you're correct. In certain situations, the short tips are not long enough. For some of my repair jobs, I needed to create custom tips, some of which are made from inexpensive micro screwdriver sets (~$5 for five drivers). I buy two sets to get matching driver sizes, and cut them to size.

I did acquire a set of rubber 'bungs' (or "Vacuum Pad Camera Parts Opener" as Japan Hobby Tool calls them). Although a bit pricey, I've found them to be very useful, convenient, and effective. I also bought various sizes of rubber O-rings to expand the clearance for certain convex lens elements.

- Craig

01-24-2020, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #9

Micro-tools has just about everything you need including some parts. The ship overseas.

Shop Camera Repair Tools at Micro-Tools | Micro-Tools