Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Odd sound in K3

I got a low shutter count K3 to replace a K3 that was seriously damaged and beyond repair. It seems to work ok, but there is an odd sound it makes when the shutter is released. No, it's not the autofocus sound (which is high pitched) this is a lower pitched sound. I've turned off the sound anyway and it still makes the sound. Anyone have anything similar going on?

Thanks.

Doug

01-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
sensor cleaning? Do you hear it when you turn the camera on?
01-29-2020, 06:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think I know what sound you're talking about. Hmmm, trying to find a way to describe it.....
It happens almost right at the point where the mirror is about to flip back down right at the split second that the exposure has been taken. It's not what I would call a high pitched sound either, more of a lower pitch semi-extended squeak, a little above mid tone on a recorder wind instrument, but definitely sounds electronically actuated. I have no idea what the sound is from, or why it happens. I found that it only happens in single shots at less than 1/100 sec and not all the time. It doesn't seem to happen at all in bursts though.
01-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
Anyone have anything similar going on?
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
It happens almost right at the point where the mirror is about to flip back down right at the split second that the exposure has been taken. It's not what I would call a high pitched sound either, more of a lower pitch semi-extended squeak, a little above mid tone on a recorder wind instrument, but definitely sounds electronically actuated.
My K-3 is free of whatever you folk are hearing. My camera was made in early 2014. If your date of manufacture falls after Fall of 2014, what you are hearing might be part of the "runaway mirror" fix that was put in production about that time. Just a theory.

Steve

01-29-2020, 08:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My K-3 is free of whatever you folk are hearing. My camera was made in early 2014. If your date of manufacture falls after Fall of 2014, what you are hearing might be part of the "runaway mirror" fix that was put in production about that time. Just a theory.

Steve
Hmmm, I've had runaway mirror when using end of life aftermarket batteries. Could be an actuator pause that we're hearing to minimize runaway mirror. The sound doesn't happen all the time. Actually come to think of it, the only times I've heard it is when I'm in my home and there's no other ambient sounds around. There's no usability issues, camera still operates perfectly fine so I don't worry about it.
01-30-2020, 05:35 AM   #6

Could it be the AA filter simulator ON?

I believe mine does some high frequency sound when it is turned on, just in the moment you drescribed. I never use it, but turned on a couple of times to compare how it affects pictures.
01-30-2020, 02:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote

I believe mine does some high frequency sound when it is turned on, just in the moment you drescribed. I never use it, but turned on a couple of times to compare how it affects pictures.
I'll have to check that. I remember turning it on a while back to test the differences. I may have forgotten to turn it off again. I'll report back.

01-30-2020, 07:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't think it is the sensor sound, but I will try that. Yeah, my other K3 never had this sound. Again, it is only when I press the shutter.

---------- Post added 01-30-2020 at 09:25 PM ----------

I will check to see if it is shutter-speed related . Thanks for the tip.
01-31-2020, 01:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote

It IS the AA filter simulator. Verified it with back to back shots both off and on with matching shot settings. Good call!
01-31-2020, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
It IS the AA filter simulator. Verified it with back to back shots both off and on with matching shot settings. Good call!
Kobie.

You nailed it! Thanks a million!
01-31-2020, 06:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
Kobie.

You nailed it! Thanks a million!
Actually @sungibr nailed it. I just confirmed it lol
02-09-2020, 07:40 PM   #12