Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vignetting...

Tonight, I was using my Tamron Adaptall-2 60-300 SP to do some astrophotography, using my K-1. These are 30s images at F/4 (set using camera, not iris ring). I noticed that I could see in the lens and in the pictures vignetting, which came out rather strongly when I did some stacking. What might cause this? Sticky aperture blades, or a malfunctioning P/KA adapter? Other causes? See attached example. Thank you!

Last edited by jawats; 02-23-2020 at 11:04 AM.
02-02-2020, 07:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

When you saw it “in the lens” were you using live view or looking through the viewfinder?
02-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
When you saw it “in the lens” were you using live view or looking through the viewfinder?
Viewfinder.
02-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Viewfinder.
Sorry, no idea then.

02-02-2020, 07:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Are you using a hood with the lens? Does the vignetting still show up with the hood removed?
02-02-2020, 08:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

^^^^^second that^^^^ especially seeing it through the VF
02-02-2020, 08:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It might be reflection off the back element

02-02-2020, 08:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It might be reflection off the back element
That's my guess. The Tamron 90/2.5 macros do that. The rear element is large and pretty flat. The stacking and other processing make it more obvious.
02-02-2020, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Condensation inside the lens?

Steve
02-03-2020, 02:56 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Condensation inside the lens?
That would be my guess too. This looks less like vignetting and more a loss of contrast in the central portion of the lens...
02-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #11
Unregistered User

The eye of the beholder

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Tonight, I was using my Tamron Adaptall-2 60-300 SP to do some astrophotography, using my K-1. These are 30s images at F/4 (set using camera, not iris ring). I noticed that I could see in the lens and in the pictures vignetting, which came out rather strongly when I did some stacking. What might cause this? Sticky aperture blades, or a malfunctioning P/KA adapter? Other causes? See attached example. Thank you!
If you look very closely at the picture I do not see any vignetting, what I see is lighter circle and in that circle there is another circle that is a shade darker. Actually it looks like an iris with something that looks like your pupil (lens) of your eye. With that dark background I would not be able to see vignetting especially as there are very clear light spots to the far left and right that resemble the light spots that you see in both circles, you would not see that with vignetting. I would say that the problem is in the middle of the picture, not on the sides.
02-03-2020, 11:10 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thats why i commented it may be reflection off the rear element. this is the type of the clouding that you see from some legacy lenses on some cameras

also if you increase the black level threshold by about 20% it all goes away, however that would be an issue for some nebulae
02-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
If you look very closely at the picture I do not see any vignetting, what I see is lighter circle and in that circle there is another circle that is a shade darker. Actually it looks like an iris with something that looks like your pupil (lens) of your eye. With that dark background I would not be able to see vignetting especially as there are very clear light spots to the far left and right that resemble the light spots that you see in both circles, you would not see that with vignetting. I would say that the problem is in the middle of the picture, not on the sides.
When looking through the prism, as I zoomed in, I could see a dark circle shrinking the field of view, and conversely, going away as I zoomed out.
02-03-2020, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
thats why i commented it may be reflection off the rear element. this is the type of the clouding that you see from some legacy lenses on some cameras
I have a lens that does that (M42 Auto Rikenon 55/1.4) and its rear element pretty darn fills the rear mount opening and has very little curvature. The general conditions where it shows is where there is a fairly bright and conspicuous light source within the frame. The light region generally shows the outline of the iris diaphragm. I would post examples, but don't have any handy to share.

Steve
02-03-2020, 12:40 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That would be my guess too. This looks less like vignetting and more a loss of contrast in the central portion of the lens...
Assuming excellent "seeing" conditions, the background is supposed to be mostly black, with vignette showing as dimmer stars. It looks like light diffusion to me, though if atmospheric from haze, one might see something like the example photo.

Steve