Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #1

K-70 Panorama Photos

My husband has just bought me a K-70 camera, as my Sony DSC HX300 has become faulty and not worth repairing. I absolutely loved the Panoramic feature on the Sony and used it often on all our holidays. It captured some amazing scenery in that mode.
As the Panorama feature is important to me, I was wondering if my new Pentax K-70 has this feature built into it like my Sony did? and if not , what is the easiest way for a absolute beginner to the K-70 to get the panoramic photos that I love taking.
All my previous cameras, Olympus and Sony have had this as a easy to use feature and I have yet to find it on my new K-70. Am I overlooking it somewhere in the settings or doesnít the K-70 have it ?
Thanks

02-06-2020, 12:06 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-70 doesn't support in-camera panorama photos. But there are computer programs (some free) that will stitch together a series of overlapping still photos to create a panorama image, and I think some photo editors also have this capability. I don't think there are many full-size cameras with panorama capability; it's possibly easier to do with the smaller sensors found in compact cameras and cellphones.
02-06-2020, 02:05 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Indeed, no such feature baked in, but plenty of software options to do this at home. Microsoft ICE is a good free option and if you use Lightroom, that also does a very decent panorama easily.
02-06-2020, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richfam Quote
The K-70 doesn't support in-camera panorama photos. But there are computer programs (some free) that will stitch together a series of overlapping still photos to create a panorama image, and I think some photo editors also have this capability. I don't think there are many full-size cameras with panorama capability; it's possibly easier to do with the smaller sensors found in compact cameras and cellphones.
As noted not in-camera. I do panoramas with the K-70 often hand-held although you will retain more of the image with a tripod. I use Affinity Photo to stitch and process the image. There are Youtube vids that show the process in lightroom. You may want to watch a couple of vids on taking the pano to feel more comfortable with the process.

02-06-2020, 05:26 AM   #5
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can only second Microsoft ICE as a good Panoramic image stitching program.
02-06-2020, 05:58 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
As noted not in-camera. I do panoramas with the K-70 often hand-held although you will retain more of the image with a tripod. I use Affinity Photo to stitch and process the image. There are Youtube vids that show the process in lightroom. You may want to watch a couple of vids on taking the pano to feel more comfortable with the process.
thanks for tip
02-06-2020, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

The stitching software usually does a great job but you can help it when you take the shots. I take a shot of the most important part of a pano and make sure the exposure and focus are good. Then I note the settings, put the camera on M mode, set those settings and turn off AF. If you shoot JPGs you might want to set white balance t a fixed setting. All that keeps the camera from making automatic adjustments between shots, which makes them not match as well. Some lenses are not great at pano shots. The DA 16-45 f4 is really good.

Don't forget to set the camera back to normal after the pano shots.
02-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't neglect hugin. It can be complex but for simple panos it isn't hard at all.

Hugin - Panorama photo stitcher

02-06-2020, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to PF from another Victorian.

I also use Microsoft ICE to stitch. It works well and is easy to use.

I would endorse what @Just1MoreDave said. When you are doing shots to be stitched for a pano the main thing is that they have the same exposure, the same white balance and the same focus distance and depth of field. If you are shooting RAW and processing your images, you can adjust the exposure and white balance in post-processing, so you get some more latitude, but if you are shooting jpgs, you need to ensure that the settings are the same before you shoot.

Also make sure that there is a substantial overlap between the shots - say about 1/3 to 1/4. That makes it easier for the program to join them up. Shooting on a tripod is best, but it can work handheld too.

There's a whole thread of samples here: Panorama-orama - Post your Panos - PentaxForums.com

Note that if there is moving water or fast moving cloud in the shots it will affect the pano. For shots of the sea, for example, I find the joins are always visible.

A completely different strategy would be to use a wide angle lens and crop. Even if you only use 1/4 of the image, with the K-70 that will still be 6 megapixels - quite adequate for reasonable detail and probably better than you would get from using the pano function with your phone's camera. If you are doing this you need to make sure that the image is as sharp as possible - so use the hyperfocal distance, the best aperture (often f8-f11), a low ISO and shoot from a tripod (or at least a substitute like a beanbag on a solid surface) with the self-timer or a remote shutter release.

Last edited by Des; 02-06-2020 at 05:25 PM.