Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #1

Difference between old Canon C mount TV vs C lenses

Hello,

Firstly I want to say thank you to everyone in this forum, you've helped me greatly in putting together a vintage prime lens set for my cinematography!

Quick question
What, if really any, is the difference between a Canon TV-16 35mm C Mount lens vs Canon C-16 35mm C Mount lens.

I would presume the C is for Cinema and the TV is for television but specifically, does anyone know if the TV version is inferior, superior, or essentially the same as the C version.

I'm looking to add one to my kit, I'm shooting on a Lumix GH4 Micro 4/3 with a Viltrox Mount adapter EF-M2 II 0.71x (the majority of my vintage prime lenses are Asahi Super Multi Coated Takumar M42 mount)

For stills I shooting on a Canon 60D

THANKS!!!

02-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really have no experience in these, but a C mount lens made for TV was probably for closed circuit TV and not broadcast TV, probably of lower quality than a lens designed for film. After all, a C mount I believe is only used for 16mm film.
02-08-2020, 10:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! That does make sense, TV is for close circuit TV. I've seen a number of positve youtube videos for the c-16 versions of the Canon lenses but only one mentioned the TV-16.