Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2020, 08:21 AM   #1

Lens Compatibility Question

As a soon to be Pentax K10D owner Im looking at lenses. Thinking the kit lens would be a decent starting point.
However, when I look for a DA SMC 15-55 WR on various used sites, they all say for APS-C sensor.

The K10D does not have that sensor, so will it still fully work on the K10D?

02-14-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure it has. Look here Pentax K10D - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
02-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frjeff Quote
The K10D does actually have an APS-C sensor

The 18-55 will work just fine, and is a good starting point for sure.
02-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
Mount

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
My bad! Was confused with the CCD sensor type spec.

02-14-2020, 08:48 AM   #5
Forum Member

As a soon to be Pentax K10D owner Im looking at lenses. Thinking the kit lens would be a decent starting point.
However, when I look for a DA SMC 15-55 WR on various used sites, they all say for APS-C sensor.

You can also look for a Samsung GX-10. Sometimes they are cheaper than the K10D, but it is in fact the same camera. Only difference is Samsung tweaked the colour reproduction and the body and menu are a little bit different. Samsung and Pentax developed these camera's together. I still think it is the best digital camera I own. The CCD gives lovely colours, because this chip was especially made for camera work. Charge-coupled device - Wikipedia . The kit lenses are brothers and sisters as well. And I agree the DA 18-55 is such a good kit-lens that will give you results to be proud of. The Pentax smc da 18-55 AL II or the WR version are even a bit better.
02-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

As a soon to be Pentax K10D owner I’m looking at lenses. . . .
these might be helpful

QuoteQuote:
Check Lens Compatibility with your Pentax Camera
Most Pentax lenses are compatible with most Pentax cameras. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, including limitations with certain lenses. It's always a good idea to check before buying a lens.

This tool lets you check the compatibility of your Pentax digital camera with any Pentax lens or any current third-party lens. Type a partial name to see suggestions. See also: Lens Search | Camera Database

Read more at: Check Lens Compatibility with Your Pentax Camera

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens, look under DA lenses, etc.
Exceptions:
FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
02-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Frjeff.

I got my K10D from a friend, and it came with the DA 18-55 AL lens:
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

As you can see from the review, I would not call this a 'decent' lens, more like 'entry level'. I was never satisfied with its images, and replaced it with this one:
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database Vast improvement in image quality.

However, as AfterPentax says, the Pentax DA 18-55 AL II or the WR version are rated somewhat better than the original AL version, and are significantly less expensive on average that my Sigma.

SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I have been really happy with the images from my K10D as long as you keep the ISO to 400 or less.
Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-K10D - PentaxForums.com

You may want to check out this group:
K10D Users - PentaxForums.com

02-14-2020, 02:49 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Welcome to the forum Frjeff.

I got my K10D from a friend, and it came with the DA 18-55 AL lens:
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

As you can see from the review, I would not call this a 'decent' lens, more like 'entry level'. I was never satisfied with its images, and replaced it with this one:
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database Vast improvement in image quality.

However, as AfterPentax says, the Pentax DA 18-55 AL II or the WR version are rated somewhat better than the original AL version, and are significantly less expensive on average that my Sigma.

SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I have been really happy with the images from my K10D as long as you keep the ISO to 400 or less.
Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-K10D - PentaxForums.com

You may want to check out this group:
K10D Users - PentaxForums.com

"As you can see from the review, I would not call this a 'decent' lens, more like 'entry level'."

Compared to other 18-55's at that time it was a better than entry level. Read also: Pentax DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL review: Digital Photography Review. But you have to use it and discover what this lens is capable of. And to be honest: every reviewer has to display some criticism otherwise the review would be boring stuff. The best reviewer is yourself. And it always depends on the camera, the lens and the photographer if you get good results. My advice is: if you buy a K10D get a 18-55 WR. At time of launching the K10D came with a non WR kit-lens. I thought that was stupid, but the WR lenses came a few years later. You now have the opportunity to buy a K10D with a 18-55 WR and even a 50-200 WR, great way to start with a K10D for your pictures.

02-14-2020, 03:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Far better in every way is the Pentax DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 DC WR. Faster, more accurate, quiet AF, very good build quality including WR, fine imaging, fine color rendition, very versatile. It can even do very good closeups. In the DSLR lens section of these forums, take a look at the images in "show us what the DA 18-135mm can do". Also amazingly compact for its wide zoom range.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-15-2020 at 10:43 AM.
02-14-2020, 08:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Far better in every way is the Pentax DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 DC WR. Faster, more accurate, quiet AF, very good build quality including WR, fine imaging, fine color rendition, very versatile. It can even do very good closeups. In the DSLR lens section of these forums, take a look at the images in "show us what the DA 18-135mm can do". Also amazingly compact for its wide zoom range.
Absolutely! The DA 18-135 is a considerable advance on the 18-55. It's a little more expensive, but you may be able to find it for a good price.
02-14-2020, 11:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another vote for the 18-135 from me.