Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #1

Used Lens Question

New here so if question is in the wrong sub forum, please let me know.

My Pentax K10D is on the way from KEH. Have been looking for the Pentax SMC DA 18-135 WR everywhere. But, all I am finding are on EBay. And most of them are from Japan.

Nothing on this buy/sell page, KEH, Adorama, B&H or MPB

Has anyone here had experience with Japanese lens sellers on EBay? Worthy of considering or ought I pass and just keep looking?

Thanks for the experienced answers.

02-17-2020, 12:13 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frjeff Quote
New here so if question is in the wrong sub forum, please let me know.

My Pentax K10D is on the way from KEH. Have been looking for the Pentax SMC DA 18-135 WR everywhere. But, all I am finding are on EBay. And most of them are from Japan.

Nothing on this buy/sell page, KEH, Adorama, B&H or MPB

Has anyone here had experience with Japanese lens sellers on EBay? Worthy of considering or ought I pass and just keep looking?

Thanks for the experienced answers.
In my experience Japanese lens sellers are the best.
02-17-2020, 12:17 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's one here, at about what I paid. The lens is common enough that I'd buy one in the US, since it's less complicated and easier to resolve any issues.

K-1, K3, DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA 18-135, DFA 28-105, DFA 100 Macro, 1.4x, Sigma 10-20 - PentaxForums.com
02-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are used ones available on amazon:

amazon.com : Pentax 21977 DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens for Pentax Digital SLR cameras : Digital Slr Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

You can of course also pick up a new copy from B&H or Adorama if you prefer, as this is a current lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-17-2020, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You must carefully read their ads. Some of the sellers have limited English language skills. They like to use the word "beautiful" a lot. Beautiful does not necessarily mean the lens does on have haze and/or fungus. Carefully look at the pictures. Due diligence is definitely required. Prices can widely vary between the same lenses in the same condition. If you are patient, good deals can be had.
02-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

There’s at least one on B&H: Used Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens
02-17-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I prefer dealing with Japanese sellers. After a while you'll notice that there are one or two standard check-off lists that are used which help ease the language issues. Note the percentage scores that are used and also note how many "+" signs are added to the word "excellent". These generally follow a system.
Avoid any seller that isn't running well over 98%. Use due diligence, ask questions and remember that Japan can be hot and humid. If fungus is mentioned take it seriously.
Many BIN prices are negotiable, within reason.
02-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm sure you will enjoy this exceptional and very versatile lens! Great AF too.

---------- Post added 02-17-20 at 02:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
There's one here, at about what I paid. The lens is common enough that I'd buy one in the US, since it's less complicated and easier to resolve any issues.

K-1, K3, DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA 18-135, DFA 28-105, DFA 100 Macro, 1.4x, Sigma 10-20 - PentaxForums.com
This looks to be very attractive, and part of a top-flight system, well-presented.

02-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Derek Quote
I prefer dealing with Japanese sellers. After a while you'll notice that there are one or two standard check-off lists that are used which help ease the language issues. Note the percentage scores that are used and also note how many "+" signs are added to the word "excellent". These generally follow a system.
Avoid any seller that isn't running well over 98%. Use due diligence, ask questions and remember that Japan can be hot and humid. If fungus is mentioned take it seriously.
Many BIN prices are negotiable, within reason.
For example, Exc+++ means it may or may not have been found under a haystack in a barn yard.
02-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well. that would about describe a Toyo 45A I received from a seller in Alabama. I manged to return it for a refund but I've been a lot more selective in my dealings since.
02-17-2020, 11:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
In my experience Japanese lens sellers are the best.
I agree wholeheartedly. Many satisfying transactions with Japanese leave me impressed with the integrity of Japan EMS as a delivery system and very high standards of ebay sellers there. All else equal I would buy from Japan before anywhere else.
As noted above, one needs a little patience and understanding to get past translation issues and learn to sort out the different degrees of mint, excellent, and beautiful. I seldom question a sellers honesty though and usually find possible minor defects of any sort are so overstated so that once in my hands I can't even see what was described.

Last edited by From1980; 02-17-2020 at 11:53 PM.
02-18-2020, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
For example, Exc+++ means it may or may not have been found under a haystack in a barn yard.
Nah, not from the Japanese, at least not at all my experience.
My experience is very similar to this one:
QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
.......Many satisfying transactions with Japanese leave me impressed with the integrity of Japan EMS as a delivery system and very high standards of ebay sellers there. All else equal I would buy from Japan before anywhere else.
As noted above, one needs a little patience and understanding to get past translation issues and learn to sort out the different degrees of mint, excellent, and beautiful. I seldom question a sellers honesty though and usually find possible minor defects of any sort are so overstated so that once in my hands I can't even see what was described.
I think in the USA you don't even have to pay VAT or customs, so just little higher costs for shipping and in general very trustworthy sellers!
02-18-2020, 09:04 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Nah, not from the Japanese, at least not at all my experience.
My experience is very similar to this one:

I think in the USA you don't even have to pay VAT or customs, so just little higher costs for shipping and in general very trustworthy sellers!
Here is an EXC+++ but fog on middle lens so sell cheap!!!

?EXC+3?Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 MF Lens M42 Mount Free Ship Japan #327 | eBay
02-18-2020, 01:59 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Yes, and?
He gives a very clear description, doesn't hide anything.
02-18-2020, 02:15 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Yes, and?
He gives a very clear description, doesn't hide anything.
I guess by his standard it would be Exc++++++++ if it didn't have fog and cost at least $150. I've seen plenty of listings that you really have to look to find out it has fungus or desilvered prism etc.