Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh Pin, or another error? - Sigma Zoom Master 35-70

All,

I got a zoom master by Sigma, MF, 35-70, 2.8 - 4. Cute little lens with macro. Only thing is, I think it might be a Ricoh mount. I've attached a couple pictures. The first time I tried it on my K-1, it locked up. With a bit of fiddling back and forth, it popped off again. Thoughts?

--Jonathan

Last edited by jawats; 02-23-2020 at 11:04 AM.
02-17-2020, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

it is a K-mount, which both Pentax and Ricoh used.... but that appears to be a Ricoh pin, which would cause the problem you described...
02-17-2020, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The best way to remove is to take the mount off as suggested from this link: theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix
02-17-2020, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
it is a K-mount, which both Pentax and Ricoh used.... but that appears to be a Ricoh pin, which would cause the problem you described...
Pepper,

Thanks!

---------- Post added 02-17-20 at 04:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The best way to remove is to take the mount off as suggested from this link: theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix
Johnha,

Thank you!

02-18-2020, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
All,

I got a zoom master by Sigma, MF, 35-70, 2.8 - 4. Cute little lens with macro. Only thing is, I think it might be a Ricoh mount. I've attached a couple pictures. The first time I tried it on my K-1, it locked up. With a bit of fiddling back and forth, it popped off again. Thoughts?

--Jonathan
The green arrow points at the place were the Ricoh-pin is located (but removed on this lens, took me 3 minutes)!

The pin on the right bottom side is for the A-contacts and important!

A simple method is first to try to force it downwards. Usually it is held by some sort of spring which allows to be bent backwards, no danger involved doing so!
If this doesn't work, removal is pretty straight forward, it seems you lens has just 3 JIS screws (a PH00 will do as well but JIS is best).

Whenever the Ricoh-Pin gets stuck, it is because it is right at that place were the screw-drive mechanism of Pentax DSLR bodies pushes out in AF-position, but as these are A and not AF-lenses and Ricoh had the reason to fit the Ricoh programmed exposure cameras.

- First thing to do is to set it on M instead of AF, which often does the trick.
- Next possibility is to play around between M and AF and gently move the lens, often it unblocks.
- If this won't help, a razorblade or scalpel gently inserted between the lens and the K-bajonet will do the trick.
Attached Images

Last edited by photogem; 02-19-2020 at 04:21 AM.
02-18-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
The green arrow points at your Ricoh-pin! (The pin on the left bottom side is for the A-contacts and important!)

A simple method is first to try to force it downwards. Usually it is held by some sort of spring which allows to be bent backwards, no danger involved doing so!
If this doesn't work, removal is pretty straight forward, it seems you lens has just 3 JIS screws (a PH00 will do as well but JIS is best).

Whenever the Ricoh-Pin gets stuck, it is because it is right at the screw-drive mechanism of Pentax DSLR bodies.
First thing to do is to set it on M instead of AF, which often does the trick.
Next possibility is to play around between A and AF and gently move.
If this won't help, a razorblade or scalpel gently inserted will do the trick.
Photogem,

Perfect! Thank you. I actually bought some JIS drivers a few years back for another lens project.
02-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't remove the pin the green arrow is pointing to. That is not the Ricoh pin. The Ricoh pin is the one next to the bayonet flag.

Name:  IMG_1949.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  98.7 KB

I have never had an issue with a Ricoh pin that wide.
02-19-2020, 12:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Correct, fog in my head due to flu (since 2 days).
Corrected!

Attached a photo of a lens with the Ricoh-pin just pushed in.

Anyway: The TO had issues with a pin that wide! It locked up in his K-1.

Here is a short tutorial, I hope no errors within... the fog is still hanging around:
Tutorial: Ricoh-Pin removal - PentaxForums.com

Attached Images

Last edited by photogem; 02-19-2020 at 06:06 AM.
02-19-2020, 06:36 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Corrected!

Here is a short tutorial, I hope no errors within... the fog is still hanging around:
Thank you Boris, and thanks for confirming, photogem. I hadn't done anything with it yet, thankfully.
02-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Corrected!

Well, I got the ricoh pin out, but I think there was a tiny ball bearing in there that popped out and ran. Now the aperture doesn't click into place and the lever is wonky. Perhaps I mis-aligned it. Does anyone have the desire for an inexpensive project lens?
02-21-2020, 12:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Then you must have somehow lifted the A-ring off, the tiny ball which sits there can only come off if this happens.
Too bad. But that's how we learn. I made worse mistakes. Yesterday I sat 1 hour with the mechanical pop-up-flash mechanism of a K-7.
One moment (fog) of non-attentiveness and the part fell into 3 pieces with a spring holding that hook in position.
Nevertheless, this one is solved and works again.
02-21-2020, 07:42 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Then you must have somehow lifted the A-ring off, the tiny ball which sits there can only come off if this happens.
Too bad. But that's how we learn. I made worse mistakes. Yesterday I sat 1 hour with the mechanical pop-up-flash mechanism of a K-7.
One moment (fog) of non-attentiveness and the part fell into 3 pieces with a spring holding that hook in position.
Nevertheless, this one is solved and works again.
I have a few extra bearing rolling around...so to speak....from other lenses. I might try to get one in there. Or simply save the lens as a curiosity. At least I only paid $20 for the lens and the Program A that came with it. I now have some 10 - 15 old Pentax bodies...maybe I'll offload them here or on eBay in bulk.