Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #1

Unexposed frames on ME super

So Iíve had this me super for a while now that I picked up for cheap on Craigslist. Its got a Pentax 50mm 1:1.7 lens on it. Itís in pretty good condition!

The first couple rolls I shot on it came out well, albeit maybe only 22 or 23 shots. I figured it was user error and that I had just pulled out too much of the film when loading it, so maybe lost a couple frames. No big deal.

Anyway, I recently went on a road trip and shot several rolls. I had them
All developed at once by a reputable technician. When I got them back, he told me most of the rolls had frames that were complete blanks, as in they were not exposed at all. One roll only had ten actual exposures on it! I asked the tech if they were all together on the rolls or spaced out. He said they were spaced out throughout the rolls.

Am I doing something wrong thatís causing this, or is this an issue with my shutter? I checked the shutter at various speeds when I bought it and it seemed to work just fine, and the lens also appears to be working normally.

Iíve stopped using the camera until I can figure it out, but I really would like to get it working if possible! Thanks in advance for your input

02-17-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

this doubtful but on occasion I have a bad habit of winding the film after a shot (regardless of body but namely an ME) then end up forgetting then firing the damn thing...…
that does not seem to be the case....

was this 24 exp or 36 exp getting the 22, 23 shots?

reckon the mirror went up when ya checked the shutter...…..any chance the batteries were 'weak'...

recently got a me super and it seems fine but not film 'tested' yet.....so i'm quite curious about this......as I will be expecting what you were expecting beforehand
02-17-2020, 10:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Apoh415 Quote
So Iíve had this me super for a while now that I picked up for cheap on Craigslist. Its got a Pentax 50mm 1:1.7 lens on it. Itís in pretty good condition!

The first couple rolls I shot on it came out well, albeit maybe only 22 or 23 shots. I figured it was user error and that I had just pulled out too much of the film when loading it, so maybe lost a couple frames. No big deal.

Anyway, I recently went on a road trip and shot several rolls. I had them
All developed at once by a reputable technician. When I got them back, he told me most of the rolls had frames that were complete blanks, as in they were not exposed at all. One roll only had ten actual exposures on it! I asked the tech if they were all together on the rolls or spaced out. He said they were spaced out throughout the rolls.

Am I doing something wrong thatís causing this, or is this an issue with my shutter? I checked the shutter at various speeds when I bought it and it seemed to work just fine, and the lens also appears to be working normally.

Iíve stopped using the camera until I can figure it out, but I really would like to get it working if possible! Thanks in advance for your input
A known issue with the ME Super is that when the film is wound on, the shutter often doesn't cock. Sometimes, as I wound on slowly with my ear against the camera, I would hear a faint click as the winding lock tripped into place. On a cold say it may take seconds, or just need a second wind.
02-18-2020, 02:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
this doubtful but on occasion I have a bad habit of winding the film after a shot (regardless of body but namely an ME) then end up forgetting then firing the damn thing...Ö
that does not seem to be the case....

was this 24 exp or 36 exp getting the 22, 23 shots?

reckon the mirror went up when ya checked the shutter...Ö..any chance the batteries were 'weak'...

recently got a me super and it seems fine but not film 'tested' yet.....so i'm quite curious about this......as I will be expecting what you were expecting beforehand
I have only shot 24 exp film with it, and I put a brand new battery in it when I got it. I kept my eye on the mirror when I was checking the shutter and no apparent issues.

I have a habit of winding up my next frame after taking a shot as well, but I almost always switch the lock on unless Iím taking another shot immediately. Doubt thatís the issue as well.

Sometimes I like to mess around with my exposure levels (I.e. not always following the led exposure readout in the viewfinder) and I wonder if there is some malfunction when I do that? I know these cameras can have finnecky electronics sometime...

02-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have a habit of winding up my next frame after taking a shot as well, but I almost always switch the lock on unless I’m taking another shot immediately.
i'm expecting a few blanks from that for sure when the roll is finished....it's happened atleast twice....wish I were comfortable with 'multiple exposure trick' ....rewind to tighten the film, press the film release and advance the shutter lever.....the counter would be off numerically but the film would get used

Sometimes I like to mess around with my exposure levels (I.e. not always following the led exposure readout in the viewfinder) and I wonder if there is some malfunction when I do that? I know these cameras can have finnecky electronics sometime...
I would believe the shutter would fire at set speed manually regardless on led exposure indication......…

have you tested the shutter speeds again dry firing??? compared the light meter to another?