Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2020, 04:47 AM   #1

Problem removing film counter dial - Spotmatic F

Hey guys, I was thing to remove the top of my Spotmatic F to clean the viewfinder and I had an issue with removing this part as it is stuck. I do have the tool for it. Any tips ?

Attached Images

02-20-2020, 05:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The nut is LH threads - clockwise to loosen.
02-20-2020, 06:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yup. I was turning it clockwise but still didn’t work. Maybe it’s super tight
02-20-2020, 07:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Try tapping lightly the end of the tool while trying to loosen.

02-20-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a neat pair of pliers that are perfect for removing that nut. They were apparently designed for pulling "coils" out of telephone office equipment. "Coil pullers" they were called. They spread wide enough to span some smaller lens rings. Fully closed the curved ends neatly fit the Spotmatic/K1000 frame counter support nuts. I treasure them.

However, they're totally unobtainable now. What I would do is take a large interchangeable slotted screwdriver blade, and use a Dremel cut off wheel to cut a notch in it large enough to clear the central shaft, and shape the remaining legs to precisely fit the nut.
Put the blade into a small driver, and you should have enough torque to free the nut. And yes, you have to remember it's reverse threaded. Is it possible some prior repairer didn't know that and jammed it down so tight it won't come free without some heroic measures?