Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K-1 sensor cleaning

Hi
What do you use to clean the sensors of your cameras?
Now I am using the Eyelead, this cleaner.

Eyelead 589700 - Limpiador de manchas adheridas al sensor de la cámara, 1 unidad [colores surtidos]: Amazon.es: Electrónica

But sometimes some stains are difficult to remove and so far I have not used a liquid cleaning system, since they comment that depending on which liquid you are, you screw the sensor in the short or medium term.
What methods do you use?

regards

02-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #2

I have done it only once so far on a low-budget patient - K-r. It had mostly dust specks, but I did it anyway, because some of them were sticked for good (or I used my blower poorly). I've seen it in use by Tony Northrup, who cleans his gear by himself and often, so if this product was bad it wouldn't be recommended by him (I was looking for something tested and proven to be good).

amazon.com : VSGO DDR16 DSLR or SLR Camera APS-C Sensor Cleaning Kit (12 X 16mm Sensor Cleaning Swabs + 15ml Sensor Cleaner) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

^They also have a Full Frame sized swabs.

Here are macro shots of the sensor after Operation: Cleaning

https://i.imgur.com/qIwrhzT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ii5gVUV.jpg

These few specks that left are loose - tried using blower and it moved, but the whoie chamber probably needs to be cleaned by a vacuum (the right moment to send it for service I guess). They doesn't appear on photos, so I didn't pursuit further cleaning.

Last edited by Coven; 02-20-2020 at 12:50 PM.
02-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gopersuel Quote
Hi

Eyelead 589700 - Limpiador de manchas adheridas al sensor de la cámara, 1 unidad [colores surtidos]: Amazon.es: Electrónica

But sometimes some stains are difficult to remove and so far I have not used a liquid cleaning system, since they comment that depending on which liquid you are, you screw the sensor in the short or medium term.
What methods do you use?

regards
What are you doing to get stains on the sensor?
02-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe I am just lucky, but through 15 years of DSLR ownership (*istDS;K10D;K1) I have never had to have a sensor cleaned yet.

02-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the pentax O-ICK? gel stick, easy to use and no liquids to worry about.
02-21-2020, 09:00 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gopersuel Quote
Hi

What methods do you use?

regards
I've only had to wet clean a sensor a couple of times, but I live in a very dry climate. I have had a number of occasions where I have had to take a bit more aggressive action with dust spots that wouldn't come off with the built in cleaning cycle.
When I need to do a dust removal, I use canned gas. (cue the mewling kittens). It seems to work well, and certainly doesn't cause the damage that people shriek about.
02-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I've only had to wet clean a sensor a couple of times, but I live in a very dry climate. I have had a number of occasions where I have had to take a bit more aggressive action with dust spots that wouldn't come off with the built in cleaning cycle.
When I need to do a dust removal, I use canned gas. (cue the mewling kittens). It seems to work well, and certainly doesn't cause the damage that people shriek about.
Bill, I agree with you but people must be sure not to use too much spray or they may leave excess propellant on the sensor, which can stain it.

Regards, Jim

02-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
Bill, I agree with you but people must be sure not to use too much spray or they may leave excess propellant on the sensor, which can stain it.

Regards, Jim
Jim, did I ever show you the video I made where I sprayed liquid from a canned gas can into the mirror box of my old *istD?
02-22-2020, 08:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Jim, did I ever show you the video I made where I sprayed liquid from a canned gas can into the mirror box of my old *istD?
Sorry but i don't remember ever seeing it. Could you share it it with me?

If the liquid was a flammable hydrocarbon and a spark was present it would have been quite dramatic!

Regards, Jim
02-22-2020, 08:58 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
Sorry but i don't remember ever seeing it. Could you share it it with me?

If the liquid was a flammable hydrocarbon and a spark was present it would have been quite dramatic!

Regards, Jim
I had a quick look for it after posting and didn’t find it. No surprise, a house cat has better organizational skills than I do.
Brief description, I took a canned gas aerosol bomb, turned it upside down and generously coated the mirror box of an *istD with whatever the liquid in those things is. It took quite a while for the frost to clear, but the camera was fully functional after the ordeal.
I will keep looking and post it on this thread as a reply to you if I find it.
02-22-2020, 09:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks - I think I can envision the scene. I expected frost unless an ignition source was present and the propellant was flammable. It's interesting that you saw no ill effects.

Not an experiment I want to run on my K-1 II...

Regards, Jim