Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #1

Viewfinder on K10D

Pentax NEWB and just received my “New” K10D form KEH. Using the 18-135 lens and just was outside taking some “see how she’s working” shots.
Everything working as it should it appears and the IQ and colors are stunning.

However, it is nearly impossible for me to see any of the setting and exposure info in the viewfinder. It seems very dark along the bottom of the viewfinder. Did not have this issue on inside the home shots and it is a very bright and sunny day here. Perhaps light entering through the VF??

Is this the nature of the beast, or have I setup something incorrectly. Could just be that I am spoiled by my other camera’s viewfinders (Lumix FZ1000 and Nikon D7200).

Thanks.

02-20-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frjeff Quote
Perhaps light entering through the VF??
Well, your eye will be pressed against that ?

I used K10D for many years and never had a problem. Maybe its going west.
02-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never had that problem with mine either. Do you wear eyeglasses when looking into your viewfinder? I found that if I did I had to position my head a little differently to see the bottom of the frame, but it wasn't dark as I recall. I wonder if turning up the brightness on the rear LCD screen would affect the brightness of the info in the viewfinder.

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 02-20-2020 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typo
02-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm....sold my K10d a number of years ago. Had to search through the K10d manual on this. As far as I can see, there is no way to change the brightness of the indication bar in the viewfinder (as in turning up the LCD screen). I sort of remember - back in the K10d era - some complaints that the viewfinder wasn't bright enough and now when I think about it, and just checking my K20d (similar but a bit better than the K10d in this respect) one does have to look down a bit more than say my K-3 or K-1. Thus, I agree with Apet-Sure, that the viewing angle is important.

02-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
Appreciate the quick responses. I don’t were glasses when shooting. I’ll likely just have to play a bit with my head position and shooting the eyes lower.
02-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frjeff Quote
Appreciate the quick responses. I don’t were glasses when shooting. I’ll likely just have to play a bit with my head position and shooting the eyes lower.
Out of curiosity, is there an O-ME53 (or third party) magnifying eye-cup fitted to the camera? They're handy for manual focusing and other applications, and I use them on all my Pentax DSLRs - but they do restrict viewing somewhat. Occasionally, folks that use them inexplicably leave them fitted when they sell their cameras. Try removing the eye-piece and see if you still have the problem...
02-20-2020, 04:07 PM   #7
Unregistered User

Leave a lenscap on...

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I never had that problem with mine either. Do you wear eyeglasses when looking into your viewfinder? I found that if I did I had to position my head a little differently to see the bottom of the frame, but it wasn't dark as I recall. I wonder if turning up the brightness on the rear LCD screen would affect the brightness of the info in the viewfinder.
The indication bar is indeed a little bit softer than in new Pentax camera's. All my photo shooting life I had the problem that viewfinders are not designed for people wearing glasses (Thank ... the mirrorless and
Live View have come into existence). I own the K10d's sibling and it is a bit "low light" picture taking. Only time you notice it is there is when the indications start to flicker. But most of the time I take pictures in TAv mode so there is not so much need for looking at the status bar. And the viewing angle is indeed important because the indication bar is underneath the picture frame and not in it. So yes, the indication bar is a bit hard to see. But what does it look like if you leave the lens cap on? It should be a lot brighter then because of the absence of light. Try it, and if it is still hardly visible, ask the seller to solve the problem.

02-21-2020, 02:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a thought but the Lumix has an electronic viewfinder and the Nikon is one or two generations newer than a K10d
02-21-2020, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

This thread made me scratch my head and think: "Wait a minute, is there a display in the K10D viewfinder?" So I've had a look and indeed there is one, but somehow, after all these years and thousands of shots of never even glancing at it, I would have sworn that it wasn't there at all. Talk about selective blindness.

It is pretty dim, which is maybe why I've found it so easy to ignore.
02-21-2020, 02:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I do not own a working k10d anymore. I remember that I had to look "a bit from above" to see the numbers well, my wife complained that she could not manage to see it.
But if you can manage it with other dslrs, you should be able with the k10d too. Brightness was never the issue for me.

---------- Post added 02-21-20 at 02:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
This thread made me scratch my head and think: "Wait a minute, is there a display in the K10D viewfinder?" So I've had a look and indeed there is one, but somehow, after all these years and thousands of shots of never even glancing at it, I would have sworn that it wasn't there at all. Talk about selective blindness.

Seing those informations in the vf is one of the very essentials to me. I would never be able to adapt settings quick enough when not seing them while having the camera at the eye.
02-21-2020, 03:14 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
I do not own a working k10d anymore. I remember that I had to look "a bit from above" to see the numbers well, my wife complained that she could not manage to see it.
But if you can manage it with other dslrs, you should be able with the k10d too. Brightness was never the issue for me.
It's a couple of weeks since I've done any photography, so I had to go and check the viewfinders on my K10D and one of my GX-10s. Frankly, I don't see a problem with brightness of the display line. It's not quite as bright as the one in my K-3, admittedly, but I wouldn't say it's dim...
02-21-2020, 03:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's a couple of weeks since I've done any photography, so I had to go and check the viewfinders on my K10D and one of my GX-10s. Frankly, I don't see a problem with brightness of the display line. It's not quite as bright as the one in my K-3, admittedly, but I wouldn't say it's dim...
It was more an issue of perspective what I remember.
02-21-2020, 03:44 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's a couple of weeks since I've done any photography

What have the storms been like in your corner of the country? Around here it's been relentless, and not even the sort of bad weather that makes for dramatic photos. Just endless wind and rain, leaving the moor so waterlogged that normally safe paths are now knee-deep bogs. I haven't shot a single frame since February 5, but at least we haven't got flooding here like so many folk around the country.
02-21-2020, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What have the storms been like in your corner of the country? Around here it's been relentless, and not even the sort of bad weather that makes for dramatic photos. Just endless wind and rain, leaving the moor so waterlogged that normally safe paths are now knee-deep bogs. I haven't shot a single frame since February 5, but at least we haven't got flooding here like so many folk around the country.
Much the same here, David. Mostly grey / white-out featureless skies, moderate to heavy rain, moderate winds with very strong gusting etc. There's been the odd break in the weather, but not for long enough to go out and actually enjoy some photography. It's mostly the gusting wind and poor light that's put me off. Like you, I'm lucky not to have flooding to contend with. I'm in a fairly elevated position, near the top of a long but relatively shallow incline with good local drainage. My heart goes out to the folks who are blighted by floods for the umpteenth time...
02-21-2020, 06:53 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First adjust the diopter to your eyes, This is the sliding mechanism above/behind the rubber eye-piece!
Lens must be on the camera of course, I take that for granted. When you press the release-button halfway down you can even adjust the diopter so you can see the numbers displayed more or less sharp!

First it looks black at the bottom but as soon as you press the release-button halfway down, an AF-lens will then focus and you right away see the results i.e. data as shown here:
Exposure value in viewfinder - PentaxForums.com

After a while the bottom becomes black again.

But once I had a heavy used K10SD here were this part in the view-finder which shows you the data (can anybody let me know the name of this in English please)
somehow got unglued, one could see that it got lose and some numbers were very difficult to decipher.
I don't know where one would have access to this part to fix it.

Anyway, if you don't see any data at all or very dim, something is wrong because it is clear enough that one can read the data very well!