Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
(Quick) impressions on my K-1 original, using back button focus:
-IBIS does not spool up unless you "do something", be it engaging AF or half-pressing the shutter
-SR symbol lights up almost immediately when you press any button, and stays lit all the time during AF operation.

In conclusion, *if you are in AF mode*, chances are that SR is working no matter how fast you are - it was always lighting up for me before focus confirmation. If you have pre-focused on the area or are using manual focus, you might need to half press for a moment.

02-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
(Quick) impressions on my K-1 original, using back button focus:
-IBIS does not spool up unless you "do something", be it engaging AF or half-pressing the shutter
-SR symbol lights up almost immediately when you press any button, and stays lit all the time during AF operation.

In conclusion, *if you are in AF mode*, chances are that SR is working no matter how fast you are - it was always lighting up for me before focus confirmation. If you have pre-focused on the area or are using manual focus, you might need to half press for a moment.
I just did the same experiment with BB AF and a manual lens (I use the hexagon to get in the focus zone, then rock the helicoid back and forth to find sharpest focus). Using a manual lens you would have to hit shutter release while in standby BEFORE using Green Button or touching the AF button - or even half-pressing the shutter release.

I don’t think there is any way in normal shooting you can ‘beat’ the Hand.
02-22-2020, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don’t think there is any way in normal shooting you can ‘beat’ the Hand.
That sounded like a bit of a challenge, so I picked up my K-3 with the intent to beat the hand. Here are my observations:
  • The hand is very quick, but not faster than the eye
  • Once on, the hand tends to stay as long as the camera meter is active
  • It is not hard to make the hand go away, at least not on the K-3 and presumably all current model Pentax dSLRs. To do so, simply pan the viewfinder frame. A new feature was added to SR with the K-3 where SR is suspended when panning motion is detected. I found it does not take much to be detected as a pan.
  • I was able to beat the hand several times by switching to AF-S, shutter-priority and doing direct full press with the camera in standby mode, meter-off. I was also able to do so by initiating a pan and releasing the shutter immediately on stopping the motion. In both cases, the hand only appeared after the mirror returned.
Based on the above, I would caution that panning to follow action (e.g. dogs and small children) will likely disengage the SR feature with possible lag to reengage when the pan stops. One might also assume that if configured for shutter priority on AF, a quick grab will likely not be stabilized. I might also note that it is possible that SR was actually spooled up and active even though I beat the icon.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-22-2020 at 03:02 PM.