Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2020, 05:02 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question about properly using Pentax IBIS - has it improved ?

I recently found this article from 2013

I was researching IBIS and found this video - it indicates that it may take time to have the IBIS take effect and failure to allow that time could cause problems

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Shake Reduction Tutorial
A guide on how to get the most out of in-camera stabilization
By PF Staff in Tutorial Videos on May 12, 2013
Pentax Shake Reduction Tutorial
All modern Pentax DSLRs include Shake Reduction, a mechanism which stabilizes the sensor to reduce camera shake regardless of the lens being used. This means that no matter what lens you put on your Pentax, you'll enjoy image stabilization. The SR system's compensation thus enables you to capture sharp hand-held shots at 2-5 stops slower than normal. For example, a photo shot at 1/15s with SR enabled will likely be just as sharp as one shot at 1/60s or 1/120s with SR off. The latest Pentax bodies even include 5-axis stabilization!

However, in order to get the most out of the SR mechanism, there are a few things you should note. For instance, you cannot assume that SR is always on; you have to arm it by half-pressing the shutter button before actually taking the photo. We talk about this and much more in our latest video tutorial. Enjoy!
Pentax Shake Reduction Tutorial - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

it is still the same or has improvement been made ?

02-21-2020, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My K-7 reports a lot more info about the SR system than my K-1. It used to list SRResult which told you whether stabilization had been achieved or not, told you how long the shutter half press had been held and the focal length set for SR. That was a great help in getting the best out of the SR system. By contrast all the K-1 returns is whether the system is on or not and the AA simulation status. I don't know if this means that it is now so much faster that it is not worth recording the SR info or the data just got dropped.
02-21-2020, 05:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The year 2013 was almost a decade ago.
I'll let that sink in for a moment...
02-21-2020, 05:58 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
The year 2013 was almost a decade ago.
I'll let that sink in for a moment...
that is the purpose of this thread

do we know, and if so how, what improvements have been made ?

after all, what real improvements has there been since the invention of sliced bread

02-21-2020, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

The KP and K-1 Series have improved stabilization. Ricoh calls is SR II. It adds pitch, yaw, and roll to the original sensor shift stabilization. On the KP, it compares favorably to my micro 4/3 GX9 which combines the lens stabilization and in body stabilization.
02-21-2020, 06:03 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
The KP and K-1 Series have improved stabilization. Ricoh calls is SR II. It adds pitch, yaw, and roll to the original sensor shift stabilization. On the KP, it compares favorably to my micro 4/3 GX9 which combines the lens stabilization and in body stabilization.
thanks

that is good to know

but the article is about time necessary to get the SR system to work

by pausing by using half shutter press to allow the SR system to activate

is the improvement of modern SR about that as well ?

or should you use that technique ?
02-21-2020, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As someone who uses a K-1 and back button focus exclusively:
-If I know I will need the SR to do a good job (low light handheld photography almost exclusively): I breathe in, brace myself, half press the shutter while I'm making sure the camera is "locked" and then take the frame
-If I'm not certain (shooting at 1/50 to 1/200 on a tele), I try to keep the shutter half-pressed and click a couple extra times just in case.
-If I clearly don't need it I just press the shutter happily all the way down and don't worry about it.

I tend to spend some time with the camera pointed at the subject while I compose/make sure I'm not tilted/etc. so the half-press is more or less second nature. I haven't hesitated to just "fire away" if I needed to shoot now and the SR seems to work near-instantly, but it's difficult to know how much is me getting better after a year on the K-7 and how much is the K-1 having a better SR. I should do a scientific test some time.

02-21-2020, 07:03 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
. . . it's difficult to know how much is me getting better after a year on the K-7 and how much is the K-1 having a better SR. I should do a scientific test some time.
that would be nice
02-21-2020, 07:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Using Ibis properly starts with shaking the camera in the right way
02-21-2020, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Minor tweak.... the improvement went the other way.

The original SR system always had the ability to compensate for pitch, yaw, and roll motions of the camera. SR I was a 3-axis system. SR II added the ability to also compensate for vertical and horizontal motions which require additional sensors and a more complicated algorithm that reads the focusing distance from the lens. 5-axis SR primarily helps when the subject matter is closer to the camera.

Also note that according to Ricoh, Live View shooting on the K-1 only does 3-axis SR (High reliability | PENTAX K-1 Mark II | RICOH IMAGING).
02-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I recently found this article from 2013

I was researching IBIS and found this video - it indicates that it may take time to have the IBIS take effect and failure to allow that time could cause problems

Pentax Shake Reduction Tutorial - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

It takes any shake reduction system time to spool up. If you are in the habit of stabbing the button, you will see camera shake both because you are inducing that shake with ham handedness, and because the system hasn't been given time to spool.
I just checked my K1, and the SR indicator is illuminated as soon as the viewfinder is active. This is telling me that Pentax has removed the delay that we used to see when the SR had to activate when the shutter button was pressed. I don't know if this is a K1 only thing or if it is common in their other cameras these days.
The trade off seems to be far less battery life, as sensor positioning is a very heavy drain on the battery.
The shake reduction itself has also improved greatly over the past generation or two.
02-21-2020, 10:03 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
If you don't see the hand, the shot is not stabilized.

Steve
02-22-2020, 07:18 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The hand symbol comes on instantly on my K-3 II and K-1 II, and I always assumed this meant the system was in action and working. I feel I have very good results at low shutter speeds, but I also used to shoot competitively and use the same breathing, holding, bracing techniques as shooting offhand, so perhaps this always has given the system time to function when needed.
02-22-2020, 07:52 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So when you look through the viewfinder, there is a hand symbol or there isn't. If it is there, the IBIS is ready, if it isn't then it isn't. It definitely has gotten faster and spooling up, but it still takes somewhere around a half second after auto focus button is pushed to get ready on a K-1 II. My impression is that if the IBIS isn't ready and you go ahead and take an image, you just get the image with the sensor locked and no IBIS in effect, but some people seem to think in that situation it actually degrades image quality.
02-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@aslyfox Since 2013 there has been at least one complete new IBIS hardware system for APSC bodies in addition to the brand new system introduced with the K-01 / K-30 in 2012. There have been incremental calculation upgrades, and the new IBIS 5-axis and algo’s mentioned by Photoptimist upthread. I think the HH Shake Reduction introduced on K-1ll involved a pretty major upgrade. IIRC this info is all available by reading back on Ricoh Imaging posts on their website and elsewhere on the web.

I don’t think I have ever gone from Standby to shutter release in half a second.