Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
firmware for K1

i am having trouble with the latest update for the K1 i have downloaded it repeatedly onto my MacBook and dragging to to a formatted SD card. and when i turn the camera on while holding the menu button the camera just comes on and nothing happens. never had trouble like this before has something hanged or am i missing something ?? any help will be appreciated.

02-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
i am having trouble with the latest update for the K1 i have downloaded it repeatedly onto my MacBook and dragging to to a formatted SD card. and when i turn the camera on while holding the menu button the camera just comes on and nothing happens. never had trouble like this before has something hanged or am i missing something ?? any help will be appreciated.
1. Have you unzipped it ?

2. Are you putting the card into slot 1 ?
02-21-2020, 05:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And make sure the .bin file is at the root or top level of the directory/folder structure.
02-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
1. Have you unzipped it ?

2. Are you putting the card into slot 1 ?
Good ones!

3. Are you sure you have the firmware for your model? The K-1 and K-1 II have different firmware.

4. If you download repeatedly, the Mac will add characters to the file name which confuses the camera. Delete ALL of the copies or ensure that the copy you use is stripped of this extra text.

5. Make sure the file is in the top-level of the card's directory, not inside the DCIM folder or any other folder.

Good luck!

02-21-2020, 05:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

What is the name of the file? It should be fwdc228b.bin.
02-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
i have done all of that i even tried downloading it on a windows machine my wife uses for teaching i though maybe the 64 bit upgrade to the mac might have caused a problem but it still will not work. i am sure its operator error on my part and ill feel like a dummy when i figure it out. it reinforced how much i hate windows when i used her laptop from school.

Last edited by nitehntr; 02-21-2020 at 06:10 PM.
02-21-2020, 06:00 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you need to extract the file. You need to get the .bin out of the .zip, then onto the SD card.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2020, 06:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
not sure what i did but it finally worked have no clue what stupid thing i was doing but i have no doubt it was an operator problem on my part thanks for the suggestions everyone.
02-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The exact same is happening to me.
02-28-2020, 04:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
The exact same is happening to me.
i wish i could tell you what was happening but it just finally worked for me. best advice i can give you is to keep trying it is a self extracting file if that is any help
02-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

i wish i could tell you what was happening but it just finally worked for me. best advice i can give you is to keep trying it is a self extracting file if that is any help
Thank you.