Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,479
Unable to remove a Vello #LA-CEF-PK adapter from my Pentax-A 50mm, F1.7 Lens

Greetings,

Today I received the adapter from Amazon and was pleased it came so soon. My joy (of course) was short lived when after using the Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 Lens and then removing the lens, I discovered that the adapter did not remain on the camera, but on the lens. Now, I cannot remove the adapter from the lens, and I have many other Pentax K mount lenses I would like to work with on my Canon EOS 80D body. I contacted B&H and they were no help. There has to be an easy way to get this adapter removed from my lens.

Many thanks for any helpful hints and suggestions. No help on Youtube either.

Cheers,

Tony

02-24-2020, 06:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 13,341
Is there no button or spring to press - such as on a teleconverter?

Maybe you could post a photo of the adapter on the lens.
02-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,345
Did you try playing with the retaining clip?





Steve
02-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,479
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Did you try playing with the retaining clip?





Steve

I can turn the adapter about 1/8th of an inch from left to right and right to left. It appears as though that clip prevents the adapter from going any further to my left. Can that clip be lifted up in order to clear the barrier? thnx,

TT

02-24-2020, 08:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,479
Original Poster
One photo of an ugly situation.

---------- Post added 02-24-20 at 08:09 PM ----------

Be back in about 15 minutes. Thank you very much.

TT
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
02-24-2020, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
david94903's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 723
Take a look at this. He shows how to remove the adapter around the 5:15 mark.

02-24-2020, 09:11 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,599
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I can turn the adapter about 1/8th of an inch from left to right and right to left. It appears as though that clip prevents the adapter from going any further to my left. Can that clip be lifted up in order to clear the barrier? thnx,

TT
Yes. You use your finger or small probe to push the spring out of the way.

02-24-2020, 10:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,479
Original Poster
Okay, well that worked out very well. It took some elbow grease to get that spring to move back and then slide it through. The adapter was then easily removed. Now, here is an interesting thought. I used that very same adapter on a few of the Kiron and Vivitar and Sears lenses and the adapter came off of the camera with no problems, and it was also easily removed without having
to manipulate that spring. Just a little twist to the left and it was off. So the only trouble is with the 50mm.

Well, I wish to say many,many thanks to all for the excellent instructions.

Cheers,

Tony

02-24-2020, 11:49 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
david94903's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 723
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I used that very same adapter on a few of the Kiron and Vivitar and Sears lenses and the adapter came off of the camera with no problems, and it was also easily removed without havingto manipulate that spring. Just a little twist to the left and it was off. So the only trouble is with the 50mm.
From what UncleVanya's video shows, all mounts are not exactly created equal, and some may be suffering from more wear and tear that others. Probably a good idea to verify which lenses might want to pop loose on you and which ones are going to stay put prior to using them.
02-25-2020, 12:11 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,479
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
From what UncleVanya's video shows, all mounts are not exactly created equal, and some may be suffering from more wear and tear that others. Probably a good idea to verify which lenses might want to pop loose on you and which ones are going to stay put prior to using them.

Excellent and thnx very much.

TT
02-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,599
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Okay, well that worked out very well. It took some elbow grease to get that spring to move back and then slide it through. The adapter was then easily removed. Now, here is an interesting thought. I used that very same adapter on a few of the Kiron and Vivitar and Sears lenses and the adapter came off of the camera with no problems, and it was also easily removed without having
to manipulate that spring. Just a little twist to the left and it was off. So the only trouble is with the 50mm.

Well, I wish to say many,many thanks to all for the excellent instructions.

Cheers,

Tony
More than likely the other lenses were worn or the adapter did not fully engage them. It is absolutely supposed to LOCK in place to avoid falling off - this lock is both at the Canon mount side and the Pentax mount side. If it is not locked on the Pentax side it may be possible to dislodge the lens during focus or aperture adjustments.
02-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,479
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
More than likely the other lenses were worn or the adapter did not fully engage them. It is absolutely supposed to LOCK in place to avoid falling off - this lock is both at the Canon mount side and the Pentax mount side. If it is not locked on the Pentax side it may be possible to dislodge the lens during focus or aperture adjustments.


Of course you make an excellent point. With the adapter affixed to the 50mm, there was some play that was evident when turning the focusing ring. Not all that much, perhaps a half inch or maybe only a quarter of an inch. On the other lenses, there was absolutely no play at all. I'll just have to make a note to not use the adapter on any of my nifty fifties. These things are cheap and I should not expect them to be perfect, especially when they are purchased used.

Thanks again,

TT
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, adapter, camera, f1.7, help, lens, pentax help, pentax-a, photography, troubleshooting, vello #la-cef-pk adapter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax smc 50mm f1.7 , unable to turn to f1.7 Rob Dean Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 05-07-2013 03:12 AM
ME: Trying to remove top cover but can't remove knobs Capslock118 Pentax Film SLR Discussion 10 08-06-2011 11:30 AM
How to REMOVE a Pentax 60-300mm PK-A & R-PK Macro Zoom From my K-7 arimage Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 17 02-24-2011 10:27 PM
How do you remove the dust that cannot be remove by the blower? rustynail925 Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 07-31-2010 10:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top