Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K3 AF mode button on left side gonzo?

Anyone else have this problem? I still use the K3 a lot - its the one getting bounced around skiing and biking. The AF mode button on the left side does not seem to work - everything else appears to work fine. I can still change the AF mode (AF-S, AF-C etc) and focus selection by looking thru the view finder and using the front and back wheels. The back screen lights up with every other feature except for the AF mode button. The Precision Repair lists at $350+ now so thats out.

02-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle94VT Quote
The AF mode button on the left side does not seem to work - everything else appears to work fine.
So, when you press and hold the button, something you expect does not happen?

I can still change the AF mode (AF-S, AF-C etc) and focus selection by looking thru the view finder and using the front and back wheels.
So at least this aspect works? (The viewfinder display for AF mode only works with the AF mode button depressed.)

The back screen lights up with every other feature except for the AF mode button.
Are you saying that the focus mode and focus area tiles on the rear status display are not outlined? How about the top LCD?

Steve
02-28-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good point - so the AF button does work but it does not activate the LCD screen on the back. Pushing the button does allow me to select the AF mode and number of AF points by looking thru the view finder. But every other button seems to activate the LCD screen as it normals does! Very strange. I have skimmed thru the manual to see if I altered a setting, which is what I hope it is - I can't figure it out! Its still functioning fine with this one peculiar glitch.

The top panel and the full tile panel on the rear LCD works fine - I can adjust the AF settings there as well.

Over the years I had always used that AF button on the left to change what I was doing - I'll have to adapt!
02-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The top panel and the full tile panel on the rear LCD works fine - I can adjust the AF settings there as well.

Over the years I had always used that AF button on the left to change what I was doing - I'll have to adapt!
FWIW, I have the rear LCD status display turned off 99.9% of the time and use the top LCD exclusively for mode changes and the optical viewfinder for selection chores. I still find it strange that you have two dead areas on the rear status display. That may be a hint for additional problems down the road.

Steve

02-29-2020, 01:28 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Steve - as a glass-half-full person, I see this as good news - nothing holding me back now from the new APSC coming down the pipeline!
02-29-2020, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve - as a glass-half-full person, I see this as good news - nothing holding me back now from the new APSC coming down the pipeline!
Good excuse- and I am certain you will be pleased with the low light performance and other improvements it will undoubtedly bring!