Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2020, 03:49 AM   #1

Dslr?

DSLR? All or any pentax have a remote control. or how do u fire them remotely. Like the cable on k1000. Or remote control on zx7. Thanks

02-29-2020, 04:19 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as far as I know that would depend on the camera body

does it have the IR receptor ?

if so, how many and where

if not, you need a cable

Miscellaneous - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
02-29-2020, 04:48 AM   #3

I use an IR remote on my K-1 and K-5 and have never had a problem, even in sun. The cable remotes on the DSLR cameras are electronic (verses mechanical on the film cameras). I found the wired releases to be a bit finicky—I tried two different suppliers.

Check if there is an IR receiver on both from and back. The K-1 and K-5 have a receiver on both the front and back.
02-29-2020, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Unregistered User

Some have built-in "wi-fi" that will allow you to couple the camera with application software running in a computer or smartphone; some allow the use of a USB cable to accomplish the same thing ("tethering"). Some have an infrared receiver that can be used as a "bulb" or shutter release when used with the appropriate transmitter (off-brand inexpensive units work fine). They all have a provision for an electric cable release, also available in off-brand units. None of them has a provision for a mechanical push-pull cable or pneumatic release.

You'd have to look at the specifications for each individual body you're interested in to discover exactly what methods you might use in addition to the electric cable release buttons. It would probably be more profitable to focus on other characteristics you wish to optimize in your selection of a camera body, and assume that there will be some methods of externally controlled shutter release mechanisms available.

02-29-2020, 05:02 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
. . . Check if there is an IR receiver on both from and back. The K-1 and K-5 have a receiver on both the front and back.
as does the K 3 and K 3 II

just noticed this is your first post

Welcome

you will find friendly members and knowledge here at the forums
02-29-2020, 07:54 AM   #6

The K10D also has Front and back IR receptors. I bought an inexpensive IR remote off of Amazon. It also works with my K3.

Kirk B.
02-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

On the K-S2, like in other non flagship (like the K100 D Super), there is only a front IR receptor. Works with a generic IR remote bought on Amazon.

Beware, the KP has lost the ability to use an IR remote ; you will have to use Wi-Fi (and a smartphone) for that usage.
02-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The wired remote is called "cable release" or recently "Cable Switch". The K-1 II, K-1, KP, K-3 II, K-3, K-5 IIs, K-5 II, K-5, K-50, K-500, K-30, K-7, K20D, K200D, K10D, 645D, 645Z and all of the *ist D series. At some point recently, the cable release socket uses a smaller plug. The KP shares the microphone socket.

Cameras without wired cable release sockets are: K-70, K-S2, K-S1, K-01, K-r, K-x, and K-m/K2000.

Edit: Pentax's official cable release is the CS-205, about $49 at B&H or Adorama. It fits everything I listed above with a cable release socket except the KP. The KP needs the CS-310 switch or equivalent. As mentioned below, the Canon Rebel series uses the same plug as the CS-205, so there are lots of cheap cable releases for that. Also stand-alone interval timers if your camera doesn't have that.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 02-29-2020 at 11:16 AM.
02-29-2020, 10:02 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The wired remote is called "cable release". The K-1 II, K-1, KP, K-3 II, K-3, K-5 IIs, K-5 II, K-5, K-50, K-500, K-30, K-7, K20D, K200D, K10D, and all of the *ist D series. At some point recently, the cable release socket uses a smaller plug. The KP shares the microphone socket.

Cameras without wired cable release sockets are: K-70, K-S2, K-S1, K-01, K-r, K-x, and K-m/K2000.
Pentax used the same shutter release socket as the Canon Rebel series cameras, until the KP IIRC. So you can buy a remote shutter release on eBay listed for Canon Rebel whatever for less than $5...There are Pentax compatible IR remote shutter releases available for as little as $1.
02-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Where did the OP go?
02-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigsquach Quote
DSLR? All or any pentax have a remote control. or how do u fire them remotely. Like the cable on k1000. Or remote control on zx7. Thanks
Welcome to the forum!

As you see by the excellent detailed information in the replies here, especially that from Just1MoreDave, the short answer is yes. Most of the camera models listed are long discontinued, yet many recent and current models can use the same device. Some people like the smart phone wifi method of the KP, if one has a smartphone, which I do not. But I can see advantages for such a technology. Fortunately, there's the old cable release type available as an alternative, which is not expensive.
02-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Beware, the KP has lost the ability to use an IR remote ; you will have to use Wi-Fi (and a smartphone) for that usage.
There is another option for the KP: KP shutter release ... Wired and Wireless options that work ! - PentaxForums.com

For the models with at least one IR port, a smartphone with an IR beam works, without having to carry a separate IR shutter release. I used to have a Galaxy S5 and it worked well with my K-3 and K-S2, using an Android app called "Remote shutter release". Unfortunately most more recent model smartphones don't have an IR blaster, although some Chinese models still do: https://www.androidauthority.com/phones-with-ir-blaster-858845/

Last edited by Des; 02-29-2020 at 05:41 PM.
02-29-2020, 04:28 PM - 4 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
IR Remote

QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
I use an IR remote on my K-1 and K-5 and have never had a problem, even in sun.
I really like IR remotes, but sometimes sunshine does cause a problem (at least with the K-5 I had at the time this picture was taken). The secret to a good marriage is to always make your spouse look good...I really accomplished that outcome with this shot ;-) .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-29-2020, 05:12 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the Pixel 2.4 GHz shutter release Model RW-E3. Cheap, and works well. Don't need line of sight. My IR version slipped to the bottom of the bag...
02-29-2020, 11:26 PM   #15

Original Poster
Ok I'm thinkin on the k30. Or k50. So should be no issues finding a release for them correct. If anyone knows of an in expensive cable for those cameras please let me know. and thanks for the welcome and response