Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2020, 06:34 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Group photo focusing?

Hello,
I have several friends coming over, today. So, I want to take a group portrait. How will I get everyone in focus? I thought about focusing on the closest person, and stop down to f 5.6 or f 8 to get the others in focus. Will that work?

03-01-2020, 07:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The aperture needed depends on the setting, but the general idea is right. If having a lot of rows maybe focus on the second row rather than the first one.
And remember to use a bit of spray n pray, you need luck to have everybody with two open eyes etc.
03-01-2020, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Hello,
I have several friends coming over, today. So, I want to take a group portrait. How will I get everyone in focus? I thought about focusing on the closest person, and stop down to f 5.6 or f 8 to get the others in focus. Will that work?
Hey so you've got the right idea but there's a fair bit that goes into this:

- The wider the lens the higher your depth of field for any given aperture
- Standing 1 metre farther away can almost double your depth of field
- When you pose people, ensure you don't pose them in a way that makes the closest and furthest subject eyes too far apart. When I do groups, and when others do, we ask them to stand diagonally so that we get a fairly consistent distance and can reduce the number of rows as we can now cram more people into each row

But to be honest focal length really is the big one here. To give you an idea, standing 4m away and shooting at f8 you would get a depth of field of 3.5m (when using a 50mm lens) and a depth of field of 15m (when using a 35mm lens).

Use this calculator and you can't go wrong

Most of all, enjoy the shoot!

Depth of Field (DoF) calculator | PhotoPills
03-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Depends on the distance from camera to subject. have a look at an online DOF calculator like these ....

Online Depth of Field Calculator

A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator

03-01-2020, 07:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

how to get group in focus - Google Search
03-01-2020, 08:39 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
The aperture needed depends on the setting, but the general idea is right. If having a lot of rows maybe focus on the second row rather than the first one.
And remember to use a bit of spray n pray, you need luck to have everybody with two open eyes etc.
Thank you very much.

---------- Post added 03-01-20 at 08:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveSimo Quote

- When you pose people, ensure you don't pose them in a way that makes the closest and furthest subject eyes too far apart. When I do groups, and when others do, we ask them to stand diagonally so that we get a fairly consistent distance and can reduce the number of rows as we can now cram more people into each row

But to be honest focal length really is the big one here. To give you an idea, standing 4m away and shooting at f8 you would get a depth of field of 3.5m (when using a 50mm lens) and a depth of field of 15m (when using a 35mm lens).

Thank you Dave. And thank you for the link. Iíll read that.

---------- Post added 03-01-20 at 08:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveSimo Quote

Thank you Dave. And thank you for the link. Iíll read that.

---------- Post added 03-01-20 at 08:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Depends on the distance from camera to subject. have a look at an online DOF calculator like these ....

Online Depth of Field Calculator

A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator
Thank you, Peter. Itís good to hear from you. The links are very helpful.

---------- Post added 03-01-20 at 08:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Perfect. Thank you very much.

---------- Post added 03-01-20 at 08:57 AM ----------

It will be 3 people posed tight together.
03-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see you mentioned that it is only three people, which increases your odds of getting all open eyes, My answer is more general in nature, but make sure that you line them up how you want to. That is very important, people have no clue in composition of the photo, and they will go to positions that will make a barely acceptable photo impossible. If there is a backdrop, by this I mean any type of object or feature that has to be in the picture, you'll have to position them there also. If the object is behind them, be careful with shadows, mostly keep the photo balanced. If you have time, pre-mark the spots where you want people to be and position for lighting. Once you have people where they need to be, I recommend eyes of the center person as your target. And as you already said, try to get as much DOF as possible. If the photo is indoors, or outdoors facing the sun, consider a little flash to freeze eye action, take a couple with flash, a couple without.
03-02-2020, 03:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Set the aperture to f5.6 then shoot in live view and use the face recognition focus feature. It should be perfect.

If you want to focus through the viewfinder, choose your auto focus point and set it for the eyes of the person who seems closest to the camera.