Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2020, 02:10 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
eneloops - use first or charge first

One of those odd Monday morning teasers. recently bought a pack of eneloops for my K200D - previously been using Amazon own brand rechargeables.

In the past I would have charged a new set first, then used them. However it did occur to me that maybe one should use the mfr charge first then recharge.

Is there a right answer or doesn't it matter?

03-02-2020, 02:38 AM   #2

It depends on how long they have been sitting on the shelf.
Eneloops I guess are supposed to be fully charged when new?

My experience with Ikea batteries( which many believe to be eneloops) is that although claimed to be ready to go. They have been sitting in the shelves losing their charge.

I however used them for headlights where batteries going dead was not an option. I would care less for my camera going out of juice.

I do not believe there is any capacity gain from fully charging them on first go, from my dealings with Ikea batteries thoug.h.
03-02-2020, 03:32 AM   #3

Using the mfr charge inevitable when you have to use batteries from shelf directly in a camera or flash.

Otherwise,it would seem more practical to discharge them fully first (or use 'Refresh' mode on some chargers), then fully charge.

Off-shelf R2U rechargeables usually retain around 70% of their capacity.
03-02-2020, 03:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rambling robin Quote
One of those odd Monday morning teasers. recently bought a pack of eneloops for my K200D - previously been using Amazon own brand rechargeables.

In the past I would have charged a new set first, then used them. However it did occur to me that maybe one should use the mfr charge first then recharge.

Is there a right answer or doesn't it matter?
As long as you use a charger with electronical single slot control it does not really matter. I think eneloops are supposed to be precharchged to 80%, but of course loose charging slowly when shelved. They do not suffer as bad from the old "memory effect" that it is important to charge at specific states, especially not for a one time thing (new batteries).

On a side node, a question I alreday wanted to ask anyway: Is Eneloop still the go to solution for flashes or are there newer and better options now? Did not check back in a while.

03-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #5

Low self-discharge batteries do not need to be charged before first use. Regular NiMH batteries should be charged before first use.

New batteries of either kind do not need to be conditioned before first use. There are different schools of thought on this but I haven't seen any convincing empirical evidence to show that conditioning new batteries is of any significant benefit for either the life or efficiency of the battery. They are after all conditioned at the factory to charge them in the first place.. Seems a waste of time to me (maybe 18+ hours).
03-02-2020, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
eneloop Technologies - Panasonic
03-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Several Eneloops are in use in my studio. Like any rechargeable battery, they will lose their charge over time, so if you do not know how long they have been sitting around, there is nothing wrong with taking them through a full recharge.
When I purchase rechargeables, they are immediately recharged, and Eneloops can take about 12 to 15 hours. My GPS also uses Eneloops, but they do not provide extended service in this device in the wild (alkalines do better).