Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2020, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #31
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You upload using the upload feature that is built into the site of choice. Just go to the site and search for upload...

03-04-2020, 01:46 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Then how do you upload to a photography site? Thnx,

TT
Use the upload tools built into the site you want to upload to.
03-04-2020, 03:33 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Okay, again I am trying to make a point here. That is that if I upload into FastStones, Gimp, or even Affinity Photo, it automatically gets uploaded into Windows Photo Editor 10. Just a few minutes ago I did work within Affinity Photo, made some changes and the changes automatically appeared in Windows Photo Editor 10, without my having to rotate any images. Now I went ahead and tested the image by posting here in PF. When I got into Manage Attachments, it revealed the source of the image and it was in PF. Sometimes it will show as FastStones, so it appears as though I need to do more detective work and I will be very happy to be able to go around Windows Photo Editor 10. Will report on what happens next. Thanks again,

Tonytee
03-04-2020, 03:46 AM   #34
Pentaxian

That is that if I upload into FastStones, Gimp, or even Affinity Photo, it automatically gets uploaded into Windows Photo Editor 10
I'm a bit confused here. Are you talking about file associations, e. g. what happens when you double click a file and what application that opens by default?

03-04-2020, 04:56 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An old simple Adobe Photoshop CS2 (exactly the same as PS7) can be downloaded here for free:
Adobe Photoshop CS2 Download - TechSpot
Serials are there.
I use CS2 and CS6 + Lightroom.
CS2 is much smaller, starts very quick and has basic options.
It is very good for changing quickly the size: For example 1200 x 600 for uploading photos!
I remember to well when I purchased it as PS7 many many years ago (something like 2003) and paid over $ 1000 for it!

There is a little nuissance, easy to be solved: A pop-up window which asks each time to register. One clicks on "no registration" but it pops up again.
This is because one has to do it as "administrator" on windows! Then the click "no registration", thats it!

The useful book Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Dummies is to be found very cheap on Amazon or ebay.
03-04-2020, 05:01 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On Flickr you just drop into upload screen, see attached.
But pricing is getting more and more confusing and unclear so not sure what I will do in the future.
Attached Images

03-04-2020, 05:08 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
That's just flabbergasting. $3000 for Adobe software? That's as much or more than I've spent on photo equipment, ever.
That's over a 25 year span pre-subscription model, in over 58 years buying photography equipment I've spent considerably more than that.

03-04-2020, 05:09 AM   #38
Unregistered User

really good software for fifty bucks (no subscriptions):

Affinity ? Professional Creative Software
03-04-2020, 05:51 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, again I am trying to make a point here. That is that if I upload into FastStones, Gimp, or even Affinity Photo, it automatically gets uploaded into Windows Photo Editor 10. Just a few minutes ago I did work within Affinity Photo, made some changes and the changes automatically appeared in Windows Photo Editor 10, without my having to rotate any images. Now I went ahead and tested the image by posting here in PF. When I got into Manage Attachments, it revealed the source of the image and it was in PF. Sometimes it will show as FastStones, so it appears as though I need to do more detective work and I will be very happy to be able to go around Windows Photo Editor 10. Will report on what happens next. Thanks again,

Tonytee
The default behaviour on a standard win10 installation is that photo files are associated with Photos app. Although you can change that if you wish, I see no reason to. If I want to edit in Photoshop I open Photoshop and choose "open file". Alternatively you can right click a picture and choose "open with", and then select your chosen program.
03-04-2020, 05:55 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I get that some people dislike the business model that pirating forced Adobe into. It's easy to hate a company when you suddenly have to pay for what you used to get for free, but that doesn't change the fact that they write the most comprehensive image editing software.

Photoshop Elements is available on amazon.ca for about Can$100.00. It is a very capable program for basic image editing.
I don't understand why anyone would bother looking elsewhere at that price.
I don't hate Adobe, I just don't see any reason to move to a subscription based model when I can get equal or better functionality for free. I get extremely capable image editing with GIMP and Rawtherapee, and can take that $100 and add it to the K-new fund. I paid for Lightroom 5.0 and 6.0. But those got out of date, very slow, and then they changed their paradigm in both pricing and functionality and I saw no reason to follow them down that path.

I understand that some people don't want to re-learn editing in a new set of programs. But at least for me it was a no-brainer when I'd be saving at least $120 a year forever and I'm not subject to the whims of Adobe's plans for web-based, subscription software.

---------- Post added 03-04-20 at 08:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
That's over a 25 year span pre-subscription model, in over 58 years buying photography equipment I've spent considerably more than that.
Over 25 years that's not so bad. I spent probably $150-200 on Lightroom before they changed things. I won't ever go back unless Rawtherapee and Darktable go away, which seems quite unlikely anytime soon.
03-04-2020, 06:23 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I use CS2 and CS6 + Lightroom.
CS2 is much smaller, starts very quick and has basic options.
You’re kidding, surely? I used to use CS2 and “basic options” doesn’t begin to describe its abilities. Nowadays CS4, although old, still does way more than I’m ever likely to need, but neither is a beginner’s choice. That said, it does what I want better than anything else I’ve seen for a one-off purchase.

I think the OP is still finding his way with his computer, never mind photo editors. It’s okay, we all felt lost and bewildered to begin with. Recommending Photoshop, Gimp or similar is not going to help for now, he needs familiarity with Windows 10 first and then hosting sites and their ways of working. BTW, I also shoot (in raw) on a K-7, it’s good to know others still do.

Last edited by StiffLegged; 03-04-2020 at 07:41 AM.
03-04-2020, 06:24 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I remember to well when I purchased it as PS7 many many years ago (something like 2003) and paid over $ 1000 for it!
The Free/Open Source community owes a lot to outrageous pricing models like that. Some of the popularity of Linux has to do with Microsoft charging $100+ for a single license of Windows 15 or 20 years ago. In 1999 a license for the full Microsoft Office suite was $500. $1000 for Photoshop. Add about 50% for inflation since 2000, and you could have spent $3000+ just on software for a new machine 20 years ago. Add hardware on top of that and you're probably looking at close to $5k.

It's no wonder a bunch of motivated software coders decided to see what they could pull together themselves. I just built a high-end 12-core machine with 32G of memory and the fastest possible M.2 SSD and a big color-accurate 4K display, and the total cost was $2000 including software (which I spent almost zero on*). That's about $1300 in year 2000 dollars.

* It's ironic that the only piece of software I spent money on was $30 for Insync, to sync and backup files to my Google drive account. And it basically doesn't work. It hangs up, doesn't do anything for hours, won't shut down, and gets in a state where it's using 16G of RAM at idle. My FOSS software has none of these issues.
03-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
You’re kidding, surely? I used to use CS2 and “basic options” doesn’t begin to describe its abilities. Nowadays CS4, although old, still does way more than I’m ever likely to need, but neither is a beginner’s choice. That said, it does what I want better than anything else I’ve seen for a one-off purchase.

I think the OP is still finding his way with his computer, never mind photo editors. It’s okay, we all felt lost and bewildered to begin with. Recommending Photoshop, Gimp or similar is not going to help for now, he needs familiarity with Windows 10 first and then hosting sites and their ways of working. BTW, I also shoot (in raw) on a K-7, it’s good to know others still do.
Well, actually I was serious about recommending CS2. Of couse a lot can be done but one can start with it.
Basic options are very quickly found out.

And that's why there is PS for dummies. Very useful book

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
On Flickr you just drop into upload screen, see attached.
If he wants to upload photos here he needs to be able to change the size of a photo to 1200x600
With CS2 one opens the photo, goes onto picture-size-width:1200 pixels then save as... choses a different name... thats it.
03-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd recommend one of the budget photo editors, rather than a 14 year old version of Photoshop which needs a minor hack just to install (I'm serious, it wasn't designed for Windows 10). Many of the ones already suggested let you try them before buying, so if you really hate WonkoPix v3.77e, you haven't spent anything and can uninstall it. But get more familiar with Windows first!
03-04-2020, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #45
PDL
Pentaxian

I think some of us are over looking what the OP is doing.

---------- Post added 03-04-20 at 04:09 PM ----------

Tonytee
I wonder if your using the term "upload" to mean "open". You do not "upload" in FastStone, Gimp, Affinity Photo you "import" the base file into those applications for processing.

I would suggest that you uninstall Windows Photo Editor 10 from your system and then get back to us to say what happens. Also please note: Windows Photo is not Microsoft Photo Editor 10.

What is the name, and where is it, here on PentaxForums?

---------- Post added 03-04-20 at 04:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
really good software for fifty bucks (no subscriptions):

Affinity ? Professional Creative Software
He has Affinity Photo - according to him it does not work. see post #19

Last edited by PDL; 03-04-2020 at 05:15 PM.