Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #106
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
I'm so confused by this thread. The OP clearly has some very basic issues conceptualizing how a filesystem works, how to copy files from an SD card into a folder of choice, how to be able to open the same file with different software programs and save the (intermediate) results, how to use filesharing service to post images (rather than uploading them as attachments into PF).

Rather than focus discussion around which editing program is better (or how to remove rather than ignore, a certain Windows Photo app), we could talk about the basics of copying, opening, editing, resizing and storing files as well as uploading to a forum or taking the route via a filesharing site to post an image inline. I think that would serve the OP better.
I agree with this overall assessment. The OP has issues with working on his computer, his misuse of common terms leads to overall confusion and the inability to realize that name of the photo app is important. As someone who was working in the personal computer world with people who had never used one, I can understand his frustration. However, the use of the incorrect terms has lead those of us trying to clarify the intent has been really frustrating.

The offshoot to Adobe bashing/loving has been a off topic endless roundabout that only increases the level of confusion.

---------- Post added 03-07-20 at 12:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Yep, that's why I asked the OP whether he's shooting raw or jpeg, if it's jpeg we will only need some quick tips, if it's raw then we can go from there to what is needed to upload online.
Several of us asked if he was shooting RAW or JPEG. Asking the OP the same question over and over again does nothing to advance the discussion.

03-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I agree with this overall assessment. The OP has issues with working on his computer, his misuse of common terms leads to overall confusion and the inability to realize that name of the photo app is important. As someone who was working in the personal computer world with people who had never used one, I can understand his frustration. However, the use of the incorrect terms has lead those of us trying to clarify the intent has been really frustrating.

The offshoot to Adobe bashing/loving has been a off topic endless roundabout that only increases the level of confusion.

---------- Post added 03-07-20 at 12:38 PM ----------

Several of us asked if he was shooting RAW or JPEG. Asking the OP the same question over and over again does nothing to advance the discussion.
Just went to the post where he replied that he shoots JPEG because he cannot edit raw files on Photos, I missed it somehow . But if he is already shooting JPEG then I have no clue why PentaxForums doesn't let him upload the images...

I've been the de facto IT guy for the family for a decade, but doing completely remote troubleshooting is so much more challenging
03-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #108
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I've been the de facto IT guy for the family for a decade, but doing completely remote troubleshooting is so much more challenging
Sorry, I have a somewhat jaundiced eye for "Family IT" people. Having worked for major international companies in support of Windows installation and support, just does not impress me all that much.

Yes, I have worked with people who sat down at a PC with totally blank faces not knowing what to do. These were mostly "old" employees who had been working on mainframes for the previous decades. Trust me, someone who can use TSO and MVS (showing my age now) in their sleep had a real hard time typing in "dir" or "cd" on a MS-DOS machine because it was totally foreign to them. Heck, I can remember the mainframe talking about that "toy" operating system being pushed by AT&T ==> UNIX, and that UNIX would never amount to a hill of beans. I thank the computer deities that these people were mostly gone when we started using Windows - version 286 for those keeping track. At the time, they thought Mac's were the cutest little useless paperweights on earth.

Just keep in mind that the OP is using the wrong incorrect words to describe what he is doing and what software using. Once that was worked out - you can go back into this thread and ignore every post about what to do to eliminate "Windows Photo Editor 10" - which did not exist on his system.
03-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Sorry, I have a somewhat jaundiced eye for "Family IT" people. Having worked for major international companies in support of Windows installation and support, just does not impress me all that much.

Yes, I have worked with people who sat down at a PC with totally blank faces not knowing what to do. These were mostly "old" employees who had been working on mainframes for the previous decades. Trust me, someone who can use TSO and MVS (showing my age now) in their sleep had a real hard time typing in "dir" or "cd" on a MS-DOS machine because it was totally foreign to them. Heck, I can remember the mainframe talking about that "toy" operating system being pushed by AT&T ==> UNIX, and that UNIX would never amount to a hill of beans. I thank the computer deities that these people were mostly gone when we started using Windows - version 286 for those keeping track. At the time, they thought Mac's were the cutest little useless paperweights on earth.

Just keep in mind that the OP is using the wrong incorrect words to describe what he is doing and what software using. Once that was worked out - you can go back into this thread and ignore every post about what to do to eliminate "Windows Photo Editor 10" - which did not exist on his system.
Eh, no need to apologize. I'm no expert (particularly when it comes to network setups), I just have a good enough grasp on computers (enough to sigh in exasperation whenever I need to call for the IT guy to come downstairs for something banal that needs admin privileges ).

I already realized from the beginning that their use of "upload" and "download" meant mostly "opening with"*, and it became clear a while ago that he's using the Photos app -completely different beast. Or at least, that's what it looks like. The amount of offtopic posts** (including everything talking about installing Photoshop/Affinity/whatever) makes the thread a bit swampy.

*Okay, when they talk about uploading to PF I have to believe it is the common usage of the term...

**Guilty as charged for accessory to crime, I'm sorry

03-07-2020, 03:12 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Okay, I was wrong in the "Windows Photo Editor 10" name for the Windows Photo app. With Windows Photo app., I have no problems with its editing capabilities. Sure, like everything else, there is certainly room for improvement. As stated some time back, the issues I have with this app., is that while editing images in it, it arbitrarily stops what I am working on and says, "Now saving your work." It never stops saving the work even after waiting approximately 15 minutes just to see how long it will take. The only way to stop it is to X out and then I find all of my work is lost and must start over again. Now, there is another issue and that is when I go to save the image, the app., again comes up with a different appearance, but same problem where it takes over and then says,
"Saving." This one also never ends and I must X out of it. There's more fun and games. I do like the editing capabilities in FastStones. When I am done editing in FastStones and after saving my work, I get out of Faststones and into Windows Photo app., to the image I had just edited in FastStones and at this point, I must cause the image in Windows photos app., to rotate in order to bring forward the editing work done in FastStones. Now sometimes FastStones does not bring forward the edited image no matter how many times I rotate the image in Windows Photos app.

The only way around that is to delete cookies and restart my computer. This is not always effective as I have had to delete cookies and restart the computer several times before the edited image comes forward and I have what I need. Now, back to Windows Photos app. Once the edited image comes forward from FastStones into Windows Photos app., the edited image in Windows Photos app., begins to rotate all on its own and all I can do is wait for this crazy thing to stop and then I have to make an editing change in Windows Photos app., and then save it so it will not go off on me and begin rotating again.

Now, boys and girls here comes the real fun. After everything looks good to go upon examination, I "download" ) the image into PF. The image comes up alright, however it is now inverted or upside down. Of course this means that after all this jumping through hoops that I thought was over, I now have to delete the image from PF and go back and find the problem. Much to my disappointment and surprise the image is upside down in FastStones. Which means I have to force a change and then save it again in FastStones and bring another edited copy forward into Windows Photo app. Which tells me that the upside image was downloaded from FastStones and not Windows Photos app. Are we having fun yet?

I have decided to go ahead and become as proficient in Affinity Photo as intellectually possible for me. The main gist is that I am not interested in doing any real sophisticated editing. All I need for my purposes is: Brighten, Darken,Contrast,Saturation, Hue, Sharpen, Cloning and Healing and on occasion, maybe a few other features.

Again, and I am very serious about this, I really, really hope that everyone will accept my deep appreciation for each and every contribution. At least I learned more about computers, software and especially a way to work around FastStones and Windows Photos app.

Cheers,

Tonytee :)

Tonytee, one nice thing about Affinity Photo is the abundance of help videos out there in Youtube land. Also, there are a few of us here on PF that use the software as well.
03-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #111
Pentaxian

@Tonytee,

Sorry if my earlier post (#59) was not as helpful as I had intended - if there are any points in it you would like clarified please let me know.

Tony