Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2020, 02:17 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What computer gear can I use to store and upload digital images?

As actor Peter Finch said in the movie, "Network" when he opened the window, "I'm fed up with this crap, and I'm not going to take it anymore."

I have been having a very difficult time working with both Windows Photo Editor 10 and FastStonesImaging. I mean, I have a plethora of irritating, frustrating issues that are

driving me to drink. What I am hoping to do is to do a go around and use some type of computer notebook,tablet or whatever will get me out of this software nightmare

hell. Any suggestions, helpful hints will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tony

03-03-2020, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
As actor Peter Finch said in the movie, "Network" when he opened the window, "I'm fed up with this crap, and I'm not going to take it anymore."

I have been having a very difficult time working with both Windows Photo Editor 10 and FastStonesImaging. I mean, I have a plethora of irritating, frustrating issues that are

driving me to drink. What I am hoping to do is to do a go around and use some type of computer notebook,tablet or whatever will get me out of this software nightmare

Many thanks,

Tony
If you have a computer you just have to change the software you are working with. You state that the software is giving problems then you have to change the software. If it is not a computer problem why waste money on another one. But perhaps you can enlighten us about the problem. Then we may be able to give you a good advice.
03-03-2020, 03:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have been having a very difficult time working with both Windows Photo Editor 10 and FastStonesImaging
Windows10 Photos app is not colour managed. Faststone has colour management settings but from what I have read they do not work very well.

I second the suggestion to get new software.
03-03-2020, 05:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't sound like a hardware issue, change your software. There are a lot of options and a lot of threads about software. I have Lightroom and it does all I ask it to very efficiently, It does so much I'lll probably never use all of the parts of it. Others here have software they like, I'm sure there is something that will fit you.

03-03-2020, 05:35 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use 10 yers old 17" MacBook Pro ( Sierra 10.13.6 with 8 GB DDR3 2.66 GHz Intel i7) with Lightroom 5.7 works great.
Recently upgraded to 250GB Solid State drive as the old HDD has died.
You can not buy new 17" MacBook Pro's anymore.
As a back up I have MacBook Pro 15.4" Retina Mid 2012 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel i7 8GB DDR3 Catalina 10.15.3 with 500GB Flash Storage with Lightroom 5.7
And experimenting with Luminar 4 ( cost AU$ 119 for two computers ), Mac Photos ( free) , digiKam (free ) , Darktable ( free) and Topaz Studio 2 ( US99 ).
Still happy with Lightroom 5.7

Last edited by i_trax; 03-03-2020 at 08:43 AM.
03-03-2020, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Not quite correct, it was; "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"....lol
03-03-2020, 08:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What are your hardware issues? What hardware are you using now? Tony, I agree with other opinions regarding software, that seems to be most of your problems. FastStone is capable software, I use it to manage my DNG downloads from my SD cards and to preliminarily view them but I don't process or edit with it. There are some capable free programs with which to do your processing and editing.

What method are you using to archive your image files? Many use Lightroom to manage and process but there is a steep learning curve with Lightroom and it costs on a monthly basis. My suggestion is to try several different programs that have a 30 day free trial period (if you plan to buy) to find one you can handle easily and settle on one or two and not jump around to every new super duper program that comes along. Digital processing and editing can be as expensive or in expensive as you want it to be. Every one of us here probably have a favorite programs we recommend. So take your time and evaluate a few before settling on what you want.

Larry

03-03-2020, 08:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both those programs are free/shareware, not demanding programs should work ok on just about anything less than ~15yrs old that isn't an old single core CPU.

What exactly are your problems? I had persistent problems with lightroom 3.6 a year ago, but it proved to be a dodgy hard drive, not lightroom. Problems went away when I replaces the HD.
03-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used FastStone almost exclusively for a number of years. I'm very pleased with it, over my "paid" programs.

What is your problem with it?
03-03-2020, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I suggest that you keep you hardware and have a look at Photoshop Elements. Elements has three modes with varying difficulties and number of tools: Quick (with lots of suggested "presets"), Guided with wizard-like steps and Expert if you (and I guess that you don't) want to make advanced editing. It also comes with a catalogue funktion and, of course, Camera RAW. You can download a 30-day trial.
I Have used it for years and use booth Quick (quite a lot. I find it easy and fast) and Expert modes.
03-03-2020, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'll second PhotoShop Elements, I started out using it on version 5.5 and am now on Version 2020. Version 2020 works on Windows 10 and has lots of new tools, you can use. Plus it's a lot cheaper than Lightroom or PhotoShop. And it comes on a disk, not cloud based, and you don't have to pay a fee every month.

It also has a cataloging system.
03-03-2020, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
you don't have to pay a fee every month.
I'm glad they have a monthly fee. Prior to that every time there was a major upgrade it was $600 -$900 which cost me in the long run over $3000.00. At $9.99 you get every major update included both Lightroom and Photoshop so it would take a lot of years to equal their older cost module and both programs are significantly better.
03-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Prior to that every time there was a major upgrade it was $600 -$900
I've never paid that much for an upgrade to PhotoShop when I used it in college. Of course, being a student, I never paid what others paid for full versions of PhotoShop either. This was before they created LightRoom.
03-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There used to be an old, very user-friendly free editing software I used extensively, called Picasa. It's no longer supported, but still available on sites like oldapps.com. I also used FastStone back in my Windows days that I was happy with. Otherwise, Elements is probably a good choice.
03-03-2020, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Many thanks,

Tony
The only thing that will get you out of your software nightmare is better software. This means paying for software.
Check out the Adobe products. They've been writing imaging software for 30 years now. They have a pretty good handle on what they are doing.