Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #1

Bought Soligor 80-200mm lenses for Pentax k-1000, need adapter.

So I'm not a photographer but my great grandfather was and used to own a camera store which closed a long time ago. My dad had one of the cameras left from the store, Asahi Pentax K1000, which was given to me recently. Still figuring out how to use it properly but it's all just for fun (and as a side note any tips or tricks would be appreciated).

But today I was at a charity shop and came across a lens, Soligor 80-200mm. The guy there didn't know much about cameras either so we both searched quickly and found that it was compatible with my camera, but unfortunately when I got home and tried to mount it I realized it's not the proper mount. Just curious what adapter I might need and if it would even be worth it to get one. I didn't spend much on the lense so I"m not too worried about it if it won't work out. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks in advance!

Attached Images

Last edited by dave_roe; 03-05-2020 at 01:46 AM.
03-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums!

The letters "OM" on the mount suggests that it was made for an Olympus camera. I don't think there is any way you can make that work for K mount.

The good news is that there literally millions of other fine old lenses out there that will work perfectly
03-05-2020, 04:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beware the lure of photography!

If you become smitten, there are also millions of Olympus OM (film) camera bodies out there and you might find an OM10 in a charity shop that would allow you to use this lens.

If you are looking for lenses in charity shops for your K1000, M42 mount lenses can be used on your K1000 with an adapter, the Pentax made one being the best, or perhaps 3rd party K mount lenses, just make sure you are familiar with the K mount as some other manufacturer's bayonet mounts look similar.

Should you succumb to buying an OM10, get one with the manual adapter that plugs in to the front of the camera body to enable manual settings.

Last edited by Skodadriver; 03-05-2020 at 04:19 AM. Reason: added proviso.
03-18-2020, 12:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
If you become smitten, there are also millions of Olympus OM (film) camera bodies out there and you might find an OM10 in a charity shop that would allow you to use this lens.If you are looking for lenses in charity shops for your K1000, M42 mount lenses can be used on your K1000 with an adapter
The OP is a beginner seeking advice about his K1000. I don't think he wants to start a camera collection right now and he could probably do without the complication of screw mount adaptors.

My advice is :

That Soligor lens will not fit the K1000. Sell it on Ebay. Soligor did make some lenses that would fit the K1000 which is probably why the search in the shop was misleading. Soligor were an independent maker of lenses to fit many different makes of camera body.

The bayonet fitting on the K1000 body is known as a "K mount". Almost any K mount lens will fit it, and Ebay is awash with them. There is absolutely no point in going out to buy a screw-mount lens which needs an adaptor to fit it to your K1000. With a screw mount lens on a K mount adaptor you lose normal communication between lens and camera body and you need some expertise to operate the arrangement. Adaptors are for if you already have some old screw-mount lenses that you want to use, or for some very very special lens like a 1000mm telephoto with a screwmount that you happen to find for a bargain.

04-04-2020, 04:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just some info for the OP, thought you may find it interesting!

Classic Cameras: the Pentax K1000 SLR Film Camera | B&H Explora