Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2020, 04:06 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Green button replacement possibility?

This may be a really stupid suggestion / request but might be a boon for arthritic hands like mine.

Is it possible to remove the green button on the body and replace it with a "G" on the selector dial which then dictates that the camera body then stops the lens down mechanically (as is done by the green button)? Allowing the continuing press of the button to take the image. Obviously this would require a new body from Pentax.

Some customization of ISO / speed may be possible if required.

I have many manual only lenses needing green button metering and my finger and thumbing on my K-5 is not very adept.

My being shot down is not a problem.

03-08-2020, 07:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

the constant 'stopped down' would be using Av mode instead of M...….use the green often and hafta keep in mind it's placed differently on the k-50 and k-3ii
03-08-2020, 08:00 AM   #3

All K mount DSLRs have the so-called crippled KAF2 mount which is missing the mechanical aperture coupler required to do what you want. The coupler wasn't needed for new lenses so was dropped to save costs. Pentax would need to go back to the KAF2 mount to make that possible but I can't see that ever happening as they need to sell new lenses which don't need it.

When the *istD came out it didn't even have the current green button functionality. To use old lenses you had to partially decouple the lens from the mount and operate in stopped down mode. Some people even drilled a new latch hole in their manual lenses mounts to make this easier and safer.
03-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TBH I have pretty much abandoned the green button - too clunky. I just chimp and bracket.

03-10-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With Takumar and similar M42 lenses you can stop down without having to use the green button:

- Pentax set to Avor Tav mode
- Focus with the lens wideopen
- Stop down and half-pressthe shutter: The camera meters now.

- Full press, i.e. takethe picture.