Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2020, 04:52 AM   #1

Ricoh shutter speed dial skipping by 2 stops

Hi

I have Ricoh XR-7 body that functions well except for the shutter dial that skips 2 stops. 1000 and 500 can't be chosen and all the other speeds are 2 stops behind. I couldn't find post regarding my issue, so I'm wondering if it's common and if there's a way to fix it. The following list shows how the dial works currently.

Other issue with my KR10 is that every roll has couple empty frames with a dot in the middle. Lens aperture blades seem to work fine.

1/1000 = X
1/500 = X

1/250 = 1/1000
1/125 = 1/500
1/60 = 1/250
1/30 = 1/125
1/15 = 1/60

1/8 = 1/30

1/4 = 1/15

1/2 = 1/8

1 = 1/4

2 = 1/2

4 = 1s

8 = 2s

16 = 4s

B = 8s
A = 16s
L = Bulb

Empty spot on dial = A

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ONEPLUS A5000  Photo   
03-08-2020, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

no kidding....if it's responding like that and you feel the dial 'stop' in those positions seems to indicate the dial has been taken off and placed back on incorrectly.....I assume it locks the position at 16s when 'A' is actually engaged???

I have a bad habit of advancing the film right after a shot and fire it by accident...….
03-08-2020, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My first guess would be that the dial was removed for some reason and then put back on in the wrong position...
If you've had the camera the whole time and this is new behavior, however, that probably would rule that out, though I'm not familiar with that specific mechanism -- it may be possible it slipped during use, having the same effect.
The fix for that would probably involve finding the service manual and popping off the dial... (or leaving it the way it is and just adjusting...)

For the dot in the otherwise empty frames... a couple of things I'd want to know...
Should there have been images there? Do you remember shooting photos where the blank frames are? Or are these random blanks between known good shots?
Are the dots really there in all your images? loot at the prints from the good negatives... is there a bright light in the middle? That doesn't appear to be the case from what I can see on the single negative above the blanks, but it's good to know...
Does your camera have a winder? Is it possible the winder is banging off a couple of frames when you fire once?
What was going on between good frames? Did you move inside to outside or have other big changes in light? Was there a flash involved at any point?
Do you lock the camera before putting it in a bag? are the lenses capped when you do that? is it possible it's getting bumped in the bag while ready to fire?

Based on Aaron's idea, I'm going to suggest that your blank frames are light leaking in from the viewfinder during a 16s exposure with the misaligned dial...

Those would help us get you an answer...

-Eric

Last edited by TwoUptons; 03-08-2020 at 07:24 AM. Reason: inspiration...
03-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
My first guess would be that the dial was removed for some reason and then put back on in the wrong position...
If you've had the camera the whole time and this is new behavior, however, that probably would rule that out, though I'm not familiar with that specific mechanism -- it may be possible it slipped during use, having the same effect.
The fix for that would probably involve finding the service manual and popping off the dial... (or leaving it the way it is and just adjusting...)

For the dot in the otherwise empty frames... a couple of things I'd want to know...
Should there have been images there? Do you remember shooting photos where the blank frames are? Or are these random blanks between known good shots?
Are the dots really there in all your images? loot at the prints from the good negatives... is there a bright light in the middle? That doesn't appear to be the case from what I can see on the single negative above the blanks, but it's good to know...
Does your camera have a winder? Is it possible the winder is banging off a couple of frames when you fire once?
What was going on between good frames? Did you move inside to outside or have other big changes in light? Was there a flash involved at any point?
Do you lock the camera before putting it in a bag? are the lenses capped when you do that? is it possible it's getting bumped in the bag while ready to fire?

Based on Aaron's idea, I'm going to suggest that your blank frames are light leaking in from the viewfinder during a 16s exposure with the misaligned dial...

-Eric
I found the XR-7 from outlet for 10 bucks. Otherwise it works well, not sure about the light seals though. I guess someone has taken the dial off then . Found the repair manual and I'm going to fix it once I find a screwdriver small enough.

The blank images are from KR-10. The body is in mint condition except that it underexposes by 1 stop but that's not an issue for me. The images shot on colorplus were around 15s exposure, if I believe correctly. I never scanned the empty screens as there's only a black dot, even the frame background isn't exposed and all I remember is hearing the shutter go, as it's pretty loud. Delta 100 frames 13-16 were empty too. I can't wind the film when the shutter release is pressed and I'm not goofy enough to accidentally press shutter 3 times in a row.

I always advance the film when I'm about to take the photo, as I'm not sure if it can hurt the spring if I leave it loaded and never fire it. I Find it hard to make up any explanation for small dots in the middle, because dot bright enough to be visible, should have the background lit, but as seen in the image, there's nothing there. I couldn't replicate the issue, body works flawlessly. I just finished Berlin & Fomapan 400 so we'll see if there's anymore empty frames.

---------- Post added 03-08-20 at 11:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote

-Eric
There's no dots in other images. I usually shoot outside both day & night.

Here is couple shots.
https://assets.community.lomography.com/6f/885e311fedb904f3d1c9cd1709e432d1f...094b6180ac0bbc
https://assets.community.lomography.com/42/13e694a6f7bdc38167612d2a2d5a58667...328fdda98790d2
https://assets.community.lomography.com/90/6b73102635185f12c5f4234a6d569384e...75b07c8ffe8944
https://assets.community.lomography.com/8b/9a01fa78b34ec19d34e920425a2bda0c4...1fb36516beba02

03-08-2020, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is not a common problem as far as I know (have had an XR7 since 1982). As mentioned above, it is possible that someone reinstalled the dial improperly. It is also possible that the there is a problem with the contact flex underneath the dial.

Steve
03-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is not a common problem as far as I know (have had an XR7 since 1982). As mentioned above, it is possible that someone reinstalled the dial improperly. It is also possible that the there is a problem with the contact flex underneath the dial.

Steve
The glue was torn off so it almost fell of when I disassembled the dial. Now it's working. Next up I'm going to replace the light seals and see how this body performs. Candle aluminum frame is great for small flat head screws.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ONEPLUS A5000  Photo 
03-08-2020, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laamapalmu Quote
The glue was torn off so it almost fell of when I disassembled the dial. Now it's working. Next up I'm going to replace the light seals and see how this body performs. Candle aluminum frame is great for small flat head screws.
good deal...good luck!
03-09-2020, 04:03 AM   #8

Original Poster
Started to disassemble the camera to see if there's and easy way to check the TTL unit, but immediately got stopped by the circuit. No way I'm going to remove almost 40 year old flex cable circuit board. 1.5 stop underexpose will do just fine...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ONEPLUS A5000  Photo 
03-09-2020, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a couple of variable resistors visible. You could mark where the wiper is with a fine point sharpie and rotate the wiper and see what it what it does to the meter. If it doesn't seem to change things put it back the way it was and try the other one. Variable resistors are the small ceramic squares with a circular metal disc on top.