Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2020, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jammed Pentax K70

Yesterday I was bracketing shots when the camera 'hung', just like a computer does. To correct this I had to open the battery compartment, release and reinsert. Does anyone have a comment? I reasoned that the unit had gone into a loop and simply needed a restart, as with a PC.

03-09-2020, 06:33 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sometimes, if I'm bracketing a shot that is already low light, the lower brackets may take up to 30 seconds and it seems that the camera is hung.
Another possibility would be a dying battery may not complete an expected task and appear to hang.
I hope it doesn't become more frequent for you!
03-09-2020, 06:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Following on from the comment by the Fozz, have you tried bracketing since that experience, and does it still work in average daylight, and with e.g. 2 EV difference between shots?

Philip
03-09-2020, 06:57 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Following on from the comment by the Fozz, have you tried bracketing since that experience, and does it still work in average daylight, and with e.g. 2 EV difference between shots?

Philip
I did a quick test after and it seemed fine. A 'busy' warning may be what is lacking.

03-09-2020, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Automatic long-term exposure noise reduction (darkframe subtraction) can look like the camera hangs - not sure if and how the K70 signals it, though.
03-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joerotheray Quote
I did a quick test after and it seemed fine. A 'busy' warning may be what is lacking.
I second what JensE just said. Either that or your SD card may be having writing errors, but then this would show with standard shooting.

Hope it's resolved for good
03-09-2020, 04:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quite a number of the in-camera processing options can take some time to complete. It seems that your camera is probably OK.....just doing its thing, but in your valuable time!

All the best.
Philip
03-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Freezes are normal (when not excessive) and generally happen after spikes in power demand (such as when shooting long bursts). Oftentimes, low battery voltage, due to factors such as battery age, manufacturer, or charge, is what's responsible.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-11-2020, 02:09 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote

Philip
I have done a test and it works without a hitch. Computer based devices loop on occasion.