Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2020, 12:44 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Read somewhere a ways back that Pentax considers the hot shoe cover (on their DSLRs) an important part of their weather resistant sealing.
That is strange, because one may readily see daylight through the gaps at the rear.

Steve

03-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe it also keeps the shoulders of the hotshoe from getting dented inwards.
03-10-2020, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
even if I could find one, I wouldn't buy this one

Pentax 100th Anniversary Commemorative Hotshoe Cover reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

but I have just placed an order for this type

Universal Hot Shoe Spirit Level reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
03-10-2020, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
How did I miss this one! Very cool, but it's likely that I wouldn't go for one either!

---------- Post added 03-10-20 at 01:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is strange, because one may readily see daylight through the gaps at the rear.

Steve
Yeah, yah gotta wonder about that too.

03-10-2020, 01:50 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Steve* Ironically, the hot shoe is never hot unless a hot foot is inserted.
Thanks, Steve. Let me clarify that to "power to OR THROUGH the shoe". In all cases the contacts should be isolated until the shutter is active.

An' just to add a side-bar item for those new to the topic :

https://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
03-10-2020, 01:53 PM   #21

Other than helping to keep the contacts clear of dust, dirt and other contaminants to function of the cover is probably more cosmetic than any thing else. The proliferation of "designer" covers with logos or artwork on them would seem to reinforce this idea. Also the asymmetric layout of contacts and locking pin openings may not seem all that aesthetic to some people.
03-10-2020, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I keep a spirit level in my hot shoe, rather than the actual cover...
That is what I have on my K3, although it doesn't need it. It was on my K10D, and got transferred when I upgraded.

Kirk B.

03-10-2020, 04:41 PM - 2 Likes   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Read somewhere a ways back that Pentax considers the hot shoe cover (on their DSLRs) an important part of their weather resistant sealing. I also vaguely recall that somebody here was rejected a warranty repair due to water damage - they said - was caused by the lack of a covered hot shoe. So...before that and since then, I have always made sure to 1) keep my hot shoes covered, and 2) buy them in bulk keeping a extra one around. Furthermore, also having lost my fair share of them, I get quite insane about where I put them when I take them off.
Looking at the K-7 parts list and service manual it can be seen that there is weather sealing around the hot shoe as well as the screws and electrical connections going into the hot shoe. There are no gaskets, grommets or o-rings externally that would seal the cover.

Put the notion that the cover plays a part in weather sealing as misinformation or false assumptions.

In the parts diagram below for the K-7 SX-W in indicates where the sealing is applied:
03-10-2020, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Get some rubber bubble level ones on eBay and and put one in each of your bags...
03-10-2020, 06:17 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Looking at the K-7 parts list and service manual it can be seen that there is weather sealing around the hot shoe as well as the screws and electrical connections going into the hot shoe. There are no gaskets, grommets or o-rings externally that would seal the cover.

Put the notion that the cover plays a part in weather sealing as misinformation or false assumptions.

In the parts diagram below for the K-7 SX-W in indicates where the sealing is applied:
Not sure if I see that, but I will bow to your wisdom here. Interesting.
03-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@aslyfox There’s an MZ-S era Pentax camera strap that has small snap pockets about 12” above the two ends. They are perfectly sized to hold the Flash shoe cover, an extra SD Card or a remote. I grab one whenever they

show up on eBay.
03-10-2020, 08:55 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax camera strap that has small snap pockets
yep...these are pretty nice....have a couple from ZX-50s which were for the shoe cover and the VF cover which I have in use on K-r & K-50.....sadly I only have 1 eye piece cover
03-10-2020, 11:22 PM - 4 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have lost so many flash shoe covers over the years I swear there is a elfin sprite living under my house that resides in a subterranean abode made of them.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-11-2020 at 04:58 AM.
03-11-2020, 01:43 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I swear there is a elfin sprite living under my house that lives in a subterranean abode made of them.
Well, coming from somebody whose scientific rationalism I'vealways respected,Ihave to take that hypothesis seriously ...
03-11-2020, 02:29 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I get a new camera I take the hot shoe cover off immediately and stick it in the box for safe keeping. They aren't sealed and just are a tiny part to get lost. If you get dirt or water on the hot shoe cover, just wipe it off as soon as you notice it (and obviously before using an external flash).