Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2020, 03:45 AM   #61
Pentaxian

One thing I omitted to mention (at my age, I don't 'forget', I just 'omit to mention' !) is that the rubber ones with the inbuilt spirit level are slightly domed, raised above the surface of the hot shoe, and thus may offer some protection against impact damage.

03-18-2020, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
One thing I omitted to mention (at my age, I don't 'forget', I just 'omit to mention' !) is that the rubber ones with the inbuilt spirit level are slightly domed, raised above the surface of the hot shoe, and thus may offer some protection against impact damage.
That is good to know. In some ways it reminds me of my early SLR years, I used and broke my share of external flash units, almost always due to a cracked plastic foot. I didn't understand why they would design an attachment with the weakest link being the connector and blamed it on 'planned obsolescence'.

Then one day I realized that a strong metal foot that could survive an impact would transfer the force to the shoe and damage my more expensive camera. So beware that you don't want to add any sort of "protection" that may actually create greater risk of damage; to rob Peter to pay Paul.
03-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #63
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I just received a 12 Hot Shoe Covers, SENHAI Camera Flashlight Hotshoe Cover of Bubble Spirit Level from Amazon

they fit fine and I can still use the built in flash
I just took a peek and those are sort of cool.

amazon.com : Set of 12 Hot Shoe Covers, SENHAI Camera Flashlight Hotshoe Cover of Bubble Spirit Level for Canon Nikon Panasonic Fujifilm Olympus Sigma PENTAX DSLR SLR : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Steve
03-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Then one day I realized that a strong metal foot that could survive an impact would transfer the force to the shoe and damage my more expensive camera. So beware that you don't want to add any sort of "protection" that may actually create greater risk of damage; to rob Peter to pay Paul.
Yep...replacement cost of my metal-footed Yongnuo YN560 III is far less than repair of the shoe on the K-3.

Steve