Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2020, 04:21 AM   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have lost so many flash shoe covers over the years I swear there is a elfin sprite living under my house that lives in a subterranean abode made of them.
" they do exist . . . "

they also collect

one sock from each pair but at unscheduled times

lens caps

tops of tooth paste tubes

and more

but do not confuse them with these guys:

03-11-2020, 04:29 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
do modern Pentax flashes have a slot to store the hot shoe cover like some of the older ones did?
No, but if you use radio triggers they will have their own hotshoe. When I put my Cactus transmitter on the K1 the cover goes on the Cactus.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
and I recently picked up three vintage Pentax SLR camera bodies: Z-1, Super Program and ME Super

none have hot shoe covers
The Z-1 would have had a hotshoe cover originally.
03-11-2020, 04:33 AM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
. . . The Z-1 would have had a hotshoe cover originally.
thanks for that information
03-11-2020, 07:14 AM   #34

on some cameras were you able to move the hot shoe cover ,, to the view finder to keep light out on long exposures??

03-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
not that I know of

it is another small part easily lost

Pentax calls it a view finder cap

check the user manual diagram for your camera
03-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #36
Pentaxian

One accessory I would very much like, which could be hot-shoe mounted, is a portable laser to remove those annoying 'photo-bombers' who pop into frame just at the last milli-second. Could this be a crowd-funding concept, do you suppose ?
03-11-2020, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
One accessory I would very much like, which could be hot-shoe mounted, is a portable laser to remove those annoying 'photo-bombers' who pop into frame just at the last milli-second. Could this be a crowd-funding concept, do you suppose ?
you could use it to get rid of those rude people between you and your target as well

03-11-2020, 08:13 AM   #38
Veteran Member

It wasn't that long ago that hot-shoe covers only came with entry level camera bodies - at least that's definitely how Nikon did it 15-20 years ago. If you bought a basic SLR with built-in flash, there was a cover on the body as it came out of the box.

The higher end bodies without built-in flash, didn't come with a cover.

I gather the assumption was the high end user needed and bought an auxiliary flash, and used it regularly - so no need for a cover.

The entry-level buyer would not buy an accessory flash, using only the built-in one, at least for a year or so. However, when they did get one, pulling the cover off revealed pristine contacts. Photographers who don't use a hot-shoe flash regularly, often end up with corroded shoes and contacts. The biggest issue is getting stuck the tiny switch hidden under one rail of the shoe because of gunk or corrosion - then the camera thinks a flash is mounted and won't pop up the built-in one. A cover would help stop that.

Cameras without built-in flash, don't have or need that tiny switch, which gives another reason for not needing a cover.

And this explains why you have to have the right type of cover, if you're replacing an original one. If the cutaway for the tiny switch is on the wrong side, the switch gets depressed, and the flash won't lift. Sticking a Canon cover into my K-01 stops the flash lifting, and vice versa. The bubble level will do the same thing.
03-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you could use it to get rid of those rude people between you and your target as well
Do you know, I hadn't thought of that ...

BTW, never had a problem with socks going missing - no doubt they do, but since all my socks are black (for that very reason !), I never notice.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 03-11-2020 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Socks
03-11-2020, 08:52 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Read somewhere a ways back that Pentax considers the hot shoe cover (on their DSLRs) an important part of their weather resistant sealing.
I remember reading that too, and thinking it was odd. I can't remember where I read it, though.
03-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have lost so many flash shoe covers over the years I swear there is a elfin sprite living under my house that resides in a subterranean abode made of them.
A few years ago a hotshoe cover I had misplaced appeared one day in the very center of my dresser top. I just assumed my wife came across it on the floor somewhere and put it there, but when I sked where she found it she had no idea where it came from either.

Fairies?
03-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I remember reading that too, and thinking it was odd. I can't remember where I read it, though.
Yep, getting older is a hard thing (in my case...).

---------- Post added 03-11-20 at 12:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A few years ago a hotshoe cover I had misplaced appeared one day in the very center of my dresser top. I just assumed my wife came across it on the floor somewhere and put it there, but when I sked where she found it she had no idea where it came from either.

Fairies?
I totally wish that had happened to at least one of the dozen or more of the darned things I've lost. But I've slowly learned to put them in some place (other than a pocket in the pants I'm wearing (because they don't come out in the wash) or loose in my camera bag.
03-11-2020, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Yep, getting older is a hard thing (in my case...).
'sfunny, I find that quite easy - in fact, even at my age, I manage it on an almost daily basis :

I fill my day with living
With sleep, I fill my night.
I live each day as if my last -
One day, I'll get it right.
03-11-2020, 01:48 PM - 2 Likes   #44
Closed Account

Ok, I just noticed I don't have a hot shoe cover. I'm sure I had a hot shoe cover. So if I open up my bag will it be there or not. Schrödinger's hot shoe cover.
03-11-2020, 02:10 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
'sfunny, I find that quite easy - in fact, even at my age, I manage it on an almost daily basis :

I fill my day with living
With sleep, I fill my night.
I live each day as if my last -
One day, I'll get it right.
That should be in the Jokes thread!