Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2020, 03:24 PM   #1

Tamron lenscompatibility with digital Pentax body

I have a Tamron 28-200 zoom lens mounted to my old Pentax ZX-5n film SLR. Is there a digital Pentax SLR body you would recommend that will accept this lens without compromising functionality?

03-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have you tried this tool

QuoteQuote:
Check Lens Compatibility with your Pentax Camera
Most Pentax lenses are compatible with most Pentax cameras. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, including limitations with certain lenses. It's always a good idea to check before buying a lens.

This tool lets you check the compatibility of your Pentax digital camera with any Pentax lens or any current third-party lens. Type a partial name to see suggestions. See also: Lens Search | Camera Database
Read more at: Check Lens Compatibility with Your Pentax Camera

you could also look for Tamron user reviews:

Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
03-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes, it will work (with any Pentax DSLR).

If you want the same field of view, then you'll of course want to for the K-1.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-10-2020, 06:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gmmmmm Quote
I have a Tamron 28-200 zoom lens mounted to my old Pentax ZX-5n film SLR. Is there a digital Pentax SLR body you would recommend that will accept this lens without compromising functionality?
Welcome to the forum. I am familiar with the Pentax version of that autofocus lens, as well as the ZX-5n. As Adam says, it will work fine on a Pentax DSLR, and with the same field-of-view (FOV) as your ZX-5n only by using a Pentax K-1 or K-1 II, which are Full-Frame (FF) bodies having the same sensor size as a 35mm film frame.

Most DSLR bodies, however, use a smaller APS-C size sensor, which will produce a comparatively narrower FOV, effectively cropping the image and presenting a more telephoto effect. So with most DSLR models, this lens will effectively have no wide angle capability, unlike your ZX-5n. The images in the frame of an APS-C size DSLR using this lens would be of a size similar to a zoom lens of 43-300mm on your ZX-5n. In this sense, functionality of this lens would be compromised unless you put it on one of these two FF bodies.

03-10-2020, 08:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Very Helpful. Thanks a lot!
03-10-2020, 08:58 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Thanks for the quick, informed reply!
03-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Welcome to the forum. I am familiar with the Pentax version of that autofocus lens, as well as the ZX-5n. As Adam says, it will work fine on a Pentax DSLR, and with the same field-of-view (FOV) as your ZX-5n only by using a Pentax K-1 or K-1 II, which are Full-Frame (FF) bodies having the same sensor size as a 35mm film frame.

Most DSLR bodies, however, use a smaller APS-C size sensor, which will produce a comparatively narrower FOV, effectively cropping the image and presenting a more telephoto effect. So with most DSLR models, this lens will effectively have no wide angle capability, unlike your ZX-5n. The images in the frame of an APS-C size DSLR using this lens would be of a size similar to a zoom lens of 43-300mm on your ZX-5n. In this sense, functionality of this lens would be compromised unless you put it on one of these two FF bodies.
I'm an old retired guy and the K1 is a bit rich for my ability and budget. Question 1: How about me buying a separate used wide-angle lens and lower-end Pentax DSLR body, then using my Tamron as the "43-300" telephoto? Question 2: will the resulting photo's of this telephoto setup be the same as they appear in the viewfinder? Any suggestions re which lower end DSLR would also be appreciated.
Thanks for your informed suggestions.
George

03-10-2020, 09:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Question 1: How about me buying a separate used wide-angle lens and lower-end Pentax DSLR body, then using my Tamron as the "43-300" telephoto?
Perfect idea.
QuoteQuote:
Question 2: will the resulting photos of this telephoto setup be the same as they appear in the viewfinder?
Yes.
QuoteQuote:
Any suggestions re which lower end DSLR would also be appreciated.
We are spoilt for choices for crop cameras in the Pentax ecosystem. Even the KP (the best current APS-C camera) can be had at a pretty good price now, but if you want flagship features a second hand K-3, or even a K-5 IIs, would fit the bill nicely. If you want super compact look at K-S2 and K-70.
03-10-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm an old retired guy and the K1 is a bit rich for my ability and budget. Question 1: How about me buying a separate used wide-angle lens and lower-end Pentax DSLR body, then using my Tamron as the "43-300" telephoto? Question 2: will the resulting photo's of this telephoto setup be the same as they appear in the viewfinder? Any suggestions re which lower end DSLR would also be appreciated.
Thanks for your informed suggestions.
George
what is being discussed is usually called the " crop factor " which happens when a lens of a focal length is used on a sensor different from the full frame sensor

QuoteQuote:
Back in the film days, the rectangle that captured the image on a standard SLR (the film) was one size: 24mm x 36mm. That was all there was to it, and nobody really gave it a second thought.

Every camera manufacturer is slightly different; models from the same manufacturer are even different. People usually refer to a sensor’s size by its “crop factor.” That’s the number you use to find the 35mm equivalent of a given lens. It’s just like taking the middle of an image and throwing away the outside edges. If a sensor is 24mm x 36mm, then there is no crop factor, since it covers the same area as 35mm film.
Full Frame Sensor vs Crop Sensor: Which is Right For You?

the focal length of the lens does not change but the "equivilent field of view " happens

Pentax ASP-C sensors have a 1.5 crop sensor

follow the above link to see what happens when a full size sensor and a crop sensor is used for the same photo

here is another article to review

QuoteQuote:
The Crop Factor Unmasked
Field of View vs Focal Length on various formats
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Jul 23, 2014

Many of us have cameras with different sensor sizes; this raises the question of which lenses need to be used to get the same field of view on two different formats. Below we provide a table listing focal lengths with equivalent Field of View (FoV) across several sensor sizes. The actual diagonal field of view (in degrees) is shown on the far right. Click the table to enlarge.

Read more at: The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
03-10-2020, 10:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@aslyfox, it's pretty obvious from his earlier post that he already understands the crop factor....
03-10-2020, 10:19 PM - 2 Likes   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
what is being discussed is usually called the " crop factor " which happens when a lens of a focal length is used on a sensor different from the full frame sensor

Full Frame Sensor vs Crop Sensor: Which is Right For You?

the focal length of the lens does not change but the "equivilent field of view " happens

Pentax ASP-C sensors have a 1.5 crop sensor

follow the above link to see what happens when a full size sensor and a crop sensor is used for the same photo

here is another article to review

Read more at: The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Excellent articles . Thanks a lot.

---------- Post added 03-10-20 at 10:34 PM ----------

Lots of food for thought. Thanks to all.
03-11-2020, 04:07 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
@aslyfox, it's pretty obvious from his earlier post that he already understands the crop factor....
it is possible that another reader of the thread might not

I some times tend to share knowledge with that in mind

the OP seems to have liked it as well
03-12-2020, 10:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Of course, your budget limit is important for us to make a recommendation. And your location is important, since prices will vary in different parts of the world. I live in Michigan USA, while Sandy lives in Australia just to give two examples. Prices where each of us live will differ to some extent.