Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2020, 11:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No date memory in K-r. What card speed to use?

On start up my K-r asks for date and time to be entered. Every time I turn it off and back on again the entered data is lost and needs to be entered again. I'm assuming that there is an internal battery that is dead. Might there be any other potential cause? Is this an easy DYI fix? What kind of battery is it? How and where is it accessed? Through the bottom plate?

Also, what is max write speed for K-r? In other words what card do I want without going overkill? Sandisk Extreme Pro is what I use in my K-3. I think the one in the K-r is maybe 20 mbs but seems too slow.

03-11-2020, 11:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No internal battery, the main battery powers the date and time, it should be retained, even if the battery is removed for a short time. Here's a link to the manual.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-r.pdf
03-12-2020, 01:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
No internal battery, the main battery powers the date and time, it should be retained, even if the battery is removed for a short time. Here's a link to the manual.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-r.pdf
How does it buffer the clock?
03-12-2020, 01:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some cameras use capacitor to keep settings

03-12-2020, 01:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
some cameras use capacitor to keep settings
A broken capacitor would propably alter the clock. Do you see the clock speed being off?
03-12-2020, 03:55 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is not a broken capacitor (some say it is an ELNA supercap which is not the case and does not work!)
but it is the back-up battery on the mainboard.
This is a 3V rechargeable Lithium, original Seiko MS414, the Seiko MS621 works fine as well (is even better due to higher capacity).

This problem occurs when one leaves the camera for a long time without the normal battery (Eneloop would be the best for the Km/kx/kr)

The DIY fix is not easy but if you have good soldering skills it is doable.

A magnifying lamp would be very usefull, because the pins of the battery are very small and very close to each other, to "bridge them" happens very quickly.
Also nearby there are few SMD resistors which you don't want to touch at all with the tip of your soldering iron.

At least a pencil-tip soldering iron with low wattage (15 at the most) is needed,
temparatur controlled is better, a soldering needle is the best!

Steps: Disassembly as shown in my tutorials for the K30 but simpler.
You need to take the back off with the LCD as well, it clips with a connector to the mainboard.

Here the tutorial for disassembly of the K30, which is almost identical here as the K-r:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com

And here a rather frustrated part tutorial for the K-r:
Fix a forgetful Pentax K-r
03-12-2020, 09:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
It is not a broken capacitor (some say it is an ELNA supercap which is not the case and does not work!)
but it is the back-up battery on the mainboard.
Thank you for this. I keep this K-r body as a backup and almost never use it. I have stored it without the main battery installed because it seemed to discharge slowly. This explanation makes sense, (hence main battery slowly discharging). I thought if this was an easy fix I would do it before I gift it to my daughter when I purchase K-1 ll or K-new. The repair is beyond what I am willing to attempt as my hands are not that steady and I don't have the tools.

---------- Post added 03-12-20 at 09:11 PM ----------

Anyone care to comment on card speed as asked in original post? Thanks.
03-12-2020, 11:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax K5 is said to write with 30mb/s, but actual tests have shown more in the region of 22-25mb/s.
UHS-1 is not supported, so waste of money.

I daubt the Kr is faster.
What is written on the card is how fast the card reads!
Writing usually is slower. So a 45mb/s might do the trick.