Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #1

Information of flash mode in images.

Hello,

I am taking images using the built in flash of my K5. Some with plain flash, others with Slow-speed Sync, others with Trailing Curtain Sync. But pressing the Info button in playback I can not distinguish which is which. It shows the flash compensation but no information for the flash mode. What can I do?

03-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

maybe go with the exposure times??? I believe the exif only states 'flash fired' or 'forced flash'......would be cool to have 'flash data'
03-14-2020, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ExifTool is capable of reading the flash mode from the makernotes section of the EXIF. Using that tool, the tag name is FlashMode. For example, that tag had values that mapped to the following from a trailing curtain exposure using the internal flash on my K-3:

Code:
Flash Mode                      : On, Trailing-curtain Sync; Internal
...using exiftool -k -g -a <filespec>

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-14-2020 at 02:03 PM.
03-14-2020, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
ExifTool is capable of reading the flash mode from the makernotes section of the EXIF.
The Pentax Digital Camera Utility (PDCU) is also able to extract and display the flash mode.

Stee

03-15-2020, 03:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
Viewing flash mode of images on camera.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I do not know if these applications work on ubuntu which I exclusively use. I needed though to know on the field what flash mode I have used for images so I can make adjustments right away. To see later at home what flash mode has been used is of little help, I will have missed the opportunity.
03-15-2020, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hidrieus Quote
I needed though to know on the field what flash mode I have used for images so I can make adjustments right away.
I have a 'field book' which is still nicely wrapped in its heat shrink that have intended to use to take notes myself.......i'm too lazy but maybe you have better fortitude!
03-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Couldn't you sort of write it down, or make notes on your mobile, or something ?
03-15-2020, 11:24 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hidrieus Quote
I needed though to know on the field what flash mode I have used for images so I can make adjustments right away.
If you don't know in the field what your setup for the last several shots has been, there is that can be done. What can we say? Keeping good notes is the traditional, pre-EXIF, approach, particularly when learning a feature or doing testing for effect. Perhaps that might be an option.

BTW...in regards to slow speed sync. It is solely related to turning off the camera's efforts to avoid ambient light ghosting with flash and auto-exposure. It is a option in P, Av, and Sv modes only, and is on by default when using trailing curtain sync in those modes. If you are doing trailing curtain sync, you either have direct control to set your shutter speed low enough or are trusting the camera to do it for you. When I have used that mode, I have been using manual exposure (M) mode.

Steve