Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2020, 06:16 PM   #1

I Heard about a 72 frame k1000, and can you help me?

Hello everyone, I'm Vitor from Brazil, how you doing?
I'm brand new here in the forum and i'm very happy founding it.
So, my question is:

I bought the camera from a old man in the internet and we chat about it for hours and he told me that the K1000 model has a interesting feature: it can make the double of the exposures that a regular camera does. What I'm trying to say is that a regular film of 36 exposures actually could do 72 without trouble.

Anyone knows if that is true and how can I do that?

Thank you very much! Sorry if I misspelled something.
Also i'm waiting for the old man to respond my email and when he does I post it here, thank you again!! )

03-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think double exposures means you take a picture over top of another picture.. it sort of blends to two together.
A 36 film roll is still 36 pictures.
Hope that helps, and welcome!
03-18-2020, 06:39 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There were "half frame" 35mm cameras, which took twice the number of photos, but only half the area as the "full frame" regular 35mm cameras. I don't know if Pentax made any K1000 half frame cameras, or more generally any--but i would think they did.
03-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #4

I could, on occasion, manage to squeeze 1 or 2 extra shots on a roll of film, but never more than that. Unless you change the size of the shutter, frame size is frame size.

Kirk B.

03-18-2020, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum k1000Brazil

you will find friendly members and knowledge here

I just sent a pm to forum member goatsNdonkey asking if he could be of assistance

after finding this thread created by him:

QuoteQuote:
The HALF-FRAME-35mm Club
Welcome to the place to discuss your half-frame 35mm film photography and to post photos resulting from it!

In deference to the indisputable fact that Pentax did not make any general production professional or consumer-grade half-frame 35mm SLRs or even half-frame rangefinders or other point-n-shoot half-frame 35mm cameras. I have located this thread in the "Non-Pentax Cameras" section of our forum. It is true that the overwhelming majority of half-frame 35mm cameras were small, without interchangeable lenses, and made by a variety of other makers in Japan, as well as in Europe and perhaps other places.

This is not to say, however, that Pentax was entirely separate from the half-frame 35mm format, since they did make a limited production half-frame K-mount SLR body intended for medical, scientific, and other research purposes. Most commonly these were connected, via an adapter, to an endoscopic lens to take 1/4 second, artificially lit, portraits of someone's colon polyps. Were one of us to find one of these camras in a retired gastroenterologist's yard sale, we would not easily find technical information about it or much detailed guidance about how to most easily adapt it to more general photography. Also, at least one craftsperson modified one or more full-frame Pentax SLRs to half-frame, but these are exceedingly rare.
Read more at: The HALF-FRAME-35mm Club - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-18-2020 at 07:19 PM.
03-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't add much more information than is in that older, lately inactive thread a link to which was just posted. Here are a few of my thoughts:

1) I don't know whether or not Pentax ever made a half-frame 35mm camera that it sold in any country. It is possible they did make a limited number of such a model, and a few of them are still around. If they produced a large number, more people would know about them.

2) It is possible that the "old man" is calling his half-frame-35mm-capable SLR a Pentax K1000 when it isn't one. Maybe it just looks very much like a K1000 to him, enough that he is convinced that it is the same. Very likely it is a Konica Autoreflex, ... unless it is some missing Pentax model that few people have ever heard of, of course,or some other camera company's little-known model. Anyone who does know of such a model, please chime it!

3) I have acquired another half-frame camera, but it isn't an slr, so nothing about is related to this question. I also haven't tested it yet, so I will wait to post about it in that Half-Frame Club thread.

4) The thread linked in aslyfox's post, does have a fair amount of info about the original Half-Frame/Full-Frame Konica Autoreflex. Most of Konica's other cameras in that line spell the term with a hyphen "AUTO-REFLEX." Anyone wishing to search for more info about the half-frame model remember to look for the one-word "Autoreflex" in you search results.
03-18-2020, 09:01 PM   #7
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used Alpa, and know they made half frames. And I would think it likely Pentax and Nikon made some on special order, although it may not have been a factory offered option as (I remember) it was w/Alpa.

I did not think of it till now, but I actually own a half frame--the Univex Mercury. These apparently are rather common.

Last edited by dms; 03-18-2020 at 09:19 PM.
03-18-2020, 09:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k1000Brazil Quote
Hello everyone, I'm Vitor from Brazil, how you doing?
I'm brand new here in the forum and i'm very happy founding it.
So, my question is:

I bought the camera from a old man in the internet and we chat about it for hours and he told me that the K1000 model has a interesting feature: it can make the double of the exposures that a regular camera does. What I'm trying to say is that a regular film of 36 exposures actually could do 72 without trouble.

Anyone knows if that is true and how can I do that?

Thank you very much! Sorry if I misspelled something.
Also i'm waiting for the old man to respond my email and when he does I post it here, thank you again!! )
he is talking about a double exposure. You take one picture, film does not advance, and you take the second picture. Two on top of each other. What you are referring to is a half frame camera. It focusses a picture onto an area of film that is 1/2 the width of a 35mm. So you get twice as many pictures. The idea was you could get 72 pictures taken on a roll of 36. Less changing rolls of film and less film costs.
03-19-2020, 03:40 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
he is talking about a double exposure. You take one picture, film does not advance, and you take the second picture. Two on top of each other. What you are referring to is a half frame camera. It focusses a picture onto an area of film that is 1/2 the width of a 35mm. So you get twice as many pictures. The idea was you could get 72 pictures taken on a roll of 36. Less changing rolls of film and less film costs.
not sure of the K 1000

but my Super Program won't let me operate the shutter without moving the lever which advances the film once I have operated the shutter

now this may be happening because I don't know how to make it take a double exposure

it would be nice if the OP could post a photo of the exact camera he has and is discussing
03-19-2020, 04:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Here are instructions to get double exposure on a k1000. But will yield 36 photos not 72
Gabrielle Assaf
03-19-2020, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Making a double exposure is easy. Take the first shot, press the film rewind button, cock shutter, take another shot, repeat if desired. The trouble is that the film may or may not stay in place during the process. If it doesn't, overlapping frames can be the result. This can happen inadvertently if the button is pressed by accident. The LX had some extra mechanical trickery up it sleeve to make multiple exposures more foolproof, but it worked in the same way.

03-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k1000Brazil Quote
I Heard about a 72 frame k1000, and can you help me?
Welcome to the forum!

The Spotmatic, MX & LX had bulk film magazines that enabled you to hold 250 pictures, but not for the K1000.

So I'm guessing the seller did not mean this and as previously mentioned he was referring to multiple exposures?

Phil.
03-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Somebody once built a K1000 with motor drive and bulk film magazine, but it was a one off and not an official Pentax product.

K1000 w/Motor Drive!!!!! - PentaxForums.com
03-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Somebody once built a K1000 with motor drive and bulk film magazine, but it was a one off and not an official Pentax product.

K1000 w/Motor Drive!!!!! - PentaxForums.com
Yep I remember that one now. Maybe the OP bought it?

Thanks, Phil.
03-19-2020, 11:59 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Making a double exposure is easy. Take the first shot, press the film rewind button, cock shutter, take another shot, repeat if desired. The trouble is that the film may or may not stay in place during the process. If it doesn't, overlapping frames can be the result. This can happen inadvertently if the button is pressed by accident. The LX had some extra mechanical trickery up it sleeve to make multiple exposures more foolproof, but it worked in the same way.

Tried this myself on several occasions - the trick is to tighten the film rewind crank first, so the film cannot move, then hold it in place with the little finger of the left hand, the rewind button being pressed in with the left thumb, and the film advance lever GENTLY used to cock the shutter, to ensure the film remains absolutely motionless.

Decided it was far easier to sandwich two negs, or make a print from two or more (like Rejlander) - or else a slide sandwich.