Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #1

Focal Reducer Pentax-M 28mm Element Collision

I purchased a Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 for some wide angle photos, and have just found out that the rear elelment collides with the focal reducer's elelment near infinity.

Is there anyway that I can increase the distance ever so slightly to prevent this collision?

I had tried one of the extension tubes I have, but it alters the minimum focusing distance so much so that it becomes a macro lens.

Any help is appreciated!

03-20-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lazmarr Quote
I purchased a Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 for some wide angle photos, and have just found out that the rear elelment collides with the focal reducer's elelment near infinity.

Is there anyway that I can increase the distance ever so slightly to prevent this collision?

I had tried one of the extension tubes I have, but it alters the minimum focusing distance so much so that it becomes a macro lens.

Any help is appreciated!
Aside from not focusing to near infinity, probably not.

It is unlikely that there is a way to allow you to increase the distance of the rear element from the reducer that would preserve infinity focus. Have you contacted the maker of the reducer for their suggestions? Is it safe to assume that the reducer is native K-mount on the lens side and not stacked with other adapters?

Steve
03-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Not without some surgery on the focal reducer. You would need to increase the thickness of the mount on the lens side (to add space) and decrease the thickness of the mount on the camera side by an amount proportional to the reducer factor (to reduce space and enable infinity focus). For example, if you have a 0.7X reducer, you might add 2 mm on the lens side and take-off 0.7 * 2 mm = 1.4 mm on the camera side. It should work, but the image quality might be a bit lower.

Last edited by photoptimist; 03-20-2020 at 05:08 PM.
03-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lazmarr Quote

Do you need infinity? If not you may be able to adjust the main lens to stop short of infinity without hitting the glass.

03-21-2020, 12:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anything you put between the lens and focal reducer will reduce the ability to focus to infinity.