Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2020, 04:13 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Apropos of this thread, has anyone tried this product ?

Pixel Peeper Pro Sensor Cleaning Kit for APS-C Cameras. 6 x Swabs + Fluid. CCD 5060291254181 | eBay

If so, what was your reaction, please ?

03-22-2020, 05:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buy a bigger pack of swabs if you live somewhere that requires you to do a wet cleaning more often. Even one cleaning may use four swabs if there is persistent stuff on the sensor.
With my K-50 I had pollen from pine trees sticking that would not come off by sensor shake or blower. I have been luckier with my KP and K-1 but will need to buy some FF swabs just in case.
03-22-2020, 05:30 AM   #18
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote

Pixel Peeper Pro Sensor Cleaning Kit for APS-C Cameras. 6 x Swabs + Fluid. CCD 5060291254181 | eBay

I've a similar kit which I've used once on an *istD. No problems and it worked. Might need to do the same now on my K5.
03-22-2020, 06:10 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you're apprehensive about cleaning your own sensor note they are not as delicate as you might assume. Use the right tools and you'll be fine. Other posters have linked to products you should use.

If you plan to do this yourself from now on I also strongly suggest a loupe so you can see the "stuff" you're trying to remove. They're not expensive and really do help.
This is the one I use.
Carson SM-44 4.5x SensorMag Magnifier SM-44 B&H Photo Video

03-22-2020, 01:03 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I've a similar kit which I've used once on an *istD. No problems and it worked. Might need to do the same now on my K5.
Thank you. Pension day I may go for it - can't go out and spend money on anything else at the moment.
03-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I purchased a Pentax/Ricoh Sensor cleaning kit...not for the faint hearted, but if you follow the directions, it is simple to accomplish and removes any stuck particles.
03-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote

I've used a similar product called Sensor Swabs, they work very well.

03-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I've used a similar product called Sensor Swabs, they work very well.
Cheers
03-23-2020, 06:31 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Update:
So I'm the guy with the streetlamp and dog photos earlier in the thread. Following Allen's suggestion, I ran the dust removal tool 3x. Per SSGGeezer's suggestion, I did it with the lens removed and upside down. I then locked up the mirror and used an air blower twice. At wider apertures, the spots are entirely gone. Per Swanlefitte's comments, when I stopped down to F18, and enlarge the shot substantially, I can still see 3 of them against some backgrounds. (On posted photo, on the diagonal from upper left to lower right.) At this point, I might lather, rinse and repeat. And buy one some cleaning tools per multiple suggestions above. But I'm mostly going to monitor how much impact these dots have on my shots before I get involved with sensor screening.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roam Redway Quote
Update:
So I'm the guy with the streetlamp and dog photos earlier in the thread. Following Allen's suggestion, I ran the dust removal tool 3x. Per SSGGeezer's suggestion, I did it with the lens removed and upside down. I then locked up the mirror and used an air blower twice. At wider apertures, the spots are entirely gone. Per Swanlefitte's comments, when I stopped down to F18, and enlarge the shot substantially, I can still see 3 of them against some backgrounds. (On posted photo, on the diagonal from upper left to lower right.) At this point, I might lather, rinse and repeat. And buy one some cleaning tools per multiple suggestions above. But I'm mostly going to monitor how much impact these dots have on my shots before I get involved with sensor screening.
only 3 X perhaps that is your problem [ just kidding ]

glad the suggestions, including mine, were helpful
03-24-2020, 01:26 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Congrats - that is a major improvement.
03-24-2020, 02:12 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can still see 3 of them against some backgrounds
Those can be easily removed in pp.....like so....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-24-2020, 03:21 AM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my cameras K 3, K 3 II and KP all have a setting which runs the dust removal system when the camera is turned on [ and when it is turned off ?? ]

I use it

and then I will check how successful the system works from time to time

seems to do a good job for me

check pg 40 of your owner's manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5.pdf
03-24-2020, 08:29 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
my cameras K 3, K 3 II and KP all have a setting which runs the dust removal system when the camera is turned on [ and when it is turned off ?? ]

I use it

and then I will check how successful the system works from time to time

seems to do a good job for me

check pg 40 of your owner's manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5.pdf
Thanks, Allen. I have had this turned on.

And Peter, I will definitely be using PP to remove any remaining spots, since there aren't so many and only show up in specific situations..

I am trying to think what I did that caused the dust in the first place. Hadn't been a problem ever in 10 + years of digital shooting. Must've changed a lens in wrong place, at wrong time, or in wrong way. Per SpecialK's suggestion, I'll make sure I have camera turned off when I change lens. Not sure I've ever been mindful of that.
03-24-2020, 10:34 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Allen. I have had this turned on.

And Peter, I will definitely be using PP to remove any remaining spots, since there aren't so many and only show up in specific situations..

I am trying to think what I did that caused the dust in the first place. Hadn't been a problem ever in 10 + years of digital shooting. Must've changed a lens in wrong place, at wrong time, or in wrong way. Per SpecialK's suggestion, I'll make sure I have camera turned off when I change lens. Not sure I've ever been mindful of that.
Forgetting to turn my camera off before doing a field lens change is what leads to most of my sensor dust. I can go months without issue but I tend to do some lens changes when out hiking in the spring and fall and that's when I see it.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-24-2020 at 10:46 AM.